• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

convert BIG flat file to access database?

knipper

Hey everyone,

I have a bit of a problem. :oops: I need to convert a flat file with 250,000 plus records that is a pipe delimited file into MS Access.

This file will then get split into smaller files and be put into excel, AND THEN be used to get imported with easypopulate into osCommerce.

I have no problem with smaller files (65,000 records) which I can convert with Excel. Unfortunately the large file can not be broken down before it gets to me.

SOOOOOooo..... Anyone have an idea's or suggestions? This needs to be done on a local machine as opposed to server level, as not all records the will be used in osCommerce.

I said MS Access as I am familar with that. I know mysql a little...enough to manipulate databases through phpmyadmin, etc. But not well enough to do this.

ANY advise or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

So MSAccess won't import a pipe-delim file?

One possibility is to write a little php script to open the file on the server, read each line, do a str_replace of the pipe with a comma, and write the line out to another file.

Then take that file into Access.

Tim

Access does have a text import function but it chokes. As a test I cropped a file to 65K records and was able to open in Excel, and resave as a csv. Access had no problem with that. However when I tried again with the text import...still hung up.

I'll look into your suggestion. I'll post if I need help or to get pointed the right direction! :o

Thanks.

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

Archived