• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Critisism Wanted!

Kinky Clothes

hey guys, i just finished my first OSc store, i really need some feedback on the layout and content etc, i do plan on making a few changes. e.g.

1. change all images to thumbnail size then load the full image only when the "click to see full image" is clicked. will load much quicker. any ideas on how to do this?

2. fix the footer! sorry about the footer and the missing oscommerce bit, that will be added tonight. please dont delete the thread :oops: i deleted the footer as i am adding a graphic, but it got corrupt as i think i uploaded it ASCII mode...... not too sure.

3.more stock.

anyway, any critisism is really appreciated, heres the url. www.kinky-clothes.com/catalog

NOTE: if you wish to remain on the My Store forum ... please read the Sticky Topic for this forum and add the osCommerce link to your footer. Thanks, Linda

i'm really sorry, i'm at my parents house, alll my images are at my house, i downloaded it to modify and when i uploaded it, it got messed up. like i said as soon as i get home i can quickly put it back :oops: i was just hoping to get some info so i can work on it tonight.....

Thanks for getting it fixed ... :D

I would not of deleted you immediately, based on your circumstance. I'd of given you at least another hour or two ... :wink:

Kinky! :)

I don't think I would fit into any of your products right now... I am about to have a baby...

One thing that stood out is that at first glance I can't see your range of products. I suggest instead of having a top category of "Our Products" I would make the Subcategories under that (Mini Dresses, Long Dresses etc) be top categories so that you can see what there is without that extra click.

Have you thought of adding the Main Categories mod? "Lists the categories and sub-categories in a table you can set on the homepage, so your customers can just click on the sub-categories they want to go instead of going through the hierarchies from product list on the left-column." I have it on my site if you want to see how it looks.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,236

About the thumbnails, there are quite a few mods that do this - look in the Images section of the Contributions area, or search the forum for some discussion on the different ways to do this.

The quality of your pop up images is great, but looks really awful when shrunk down to thumbnail by the system. Your popups are much too big though. One I clicked on z14 is 650 x 650 pixels. The file size is not too bad but I would make the image no more than 400 x 400 - smaller than that would still be very adequate. At the moment someone on 800 x 600 won't even fit that popup on their screen without scrolling, and there are no scroll bars on the popup window anyway.

Some of your products have a dropdown box for attributes but they don't actually have any - ie. one colour, one size is all that is available anyhow. This would confuse most people.

There is no "log in" link in your header. Change "in cart" button to "add to cart".

I tried to place a (test) order - it took a lot of steps before I realised that I couldn't order as I wasn't in the UK. Tell people this first up! Don't waste their time. I tried to continue anyway but because there is no option to choose delivery (the radio buttons are missing from checkout_shipping.php) the continue button just keeps bringing me back to that page.

Hope that helps.

Jen

I haven't lost my mind - I have it backed up on disk somewhere.

thanks for the info, it is very much appreciated! i'm a n00b to all this php stuff but i will slowly figure it out.

i've been looking for a plugin module that will allow shipping to europe using royal mail but i cant seem to find one, i think i will have to modify the ones i have at the moment. i did try the other night but i just cant seem to find the section that checks the country code...... i will get there in the end i suppose :)

i will go over your points and try to fix the problems you listed.

thanks loads! :)

Great looking site. You could improve it by putting more of your images in the top half of the page where the text currently is, so it can be seen without having to scroll down.

Having to sign up for nochex or paypal would deter some people, so let them be tempted by your products first before you mention payment methods. Have you had an email from nochex about there new 'let people pay up to ?50 without signing up scheme'? If you can use this then mentioning signing up for an account is putting people off needlessly.

I agree that some of the product images are a bit large, but try cropping the pic before you reduce the size. Some of them have a lot of white space around them & I think your products benefit from a clear, large image.

Also add some product pics to your front page so people know right away that its not a seedy tassles & g string place.

I really like your 'oops' idea!

I'll test out your basket once I've eaten.

thanks for the advice, i've had to do lots of work on it and i am starting to be happy with it, i sorted out the images by using a mod, now they go from left to right. i sorted out the image sizes using another mod. now it loads 2kb - 4kb files insted of 30kb - 70kb, i also cropped all the images like someone suggested.

<u>things that still need doing:</u>

need shipping module for europe.

more stock.

credit card processing.

advertising.

new start page.

please visit again as it is much much quicker. if you see any faults or things that could be improved please let me know, i really appreciate the feedback so far :) thx

thanks to all the modders out there and most of all thx to the ppl involved in OScommerce!

Kinky.

-Sizes didn't work for me. Why did it try to open outlook? :evil:

-The credit cards logo looks very bad.

-Upcoming products is displayed before Product Specials. That doesn't really help sell stuff.

-The graphic on advanced_search.php is all screwy.

- I would also get rid of the whole bottom box on the advanced_search.php page. (manufaturers, price to, price from...etc.)

yep, sorry was adding the center shop mod and also put the banners in the header.... i think i'm finally getting there :) it's starting to take some kind of shape....

i did put the new products above the upcoming producs again but it seemed a little cluttered.... i really need to work on my logo and footer again, i think the logo is far to small.

thx guys and gals!

Kinky.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived