• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

WTF?! PAYPAL IPN looses the order after successful payment!!

I've actually read others that are having this problem. I'm using PayPal IPN 0.971 with the latest snapshot (I've tried older ones too). When I create an order and check out, the admin section is showing:

Customer name, Order Total, Date Purchased, PayPal Processing.

So far so good.

Now if I complete the payment, or even use the Test IPN, the order just vanishes into thin air.

I can go into Reports -> Customer Total, and see that the total has been incremented with the payment, but even clicking on that and checking the customer Order still shows that it's not there!

So I went into the orders table to look at what was going on, and sure enough I found the order, with a status of 0. Zero = nothing. That explains why I'm not seeing it. So now the big question is, why is it getting an order status of 0? I assume it's a bug. Anyone have any ideas? I know I'm not the only one this is happening to.

Please help! :(

Hmmm. I went into the PayPal IPN administration and changed the Set Order Status from Default to Pending. Now it seems to work. :oops:

Is this my mistake, or is this how it's supposed to work? It says nothing in the readme files about it. Boy this is confusing.

WTF?! PAYPAL IPN looses the order after successful payment!!

Remember that this is a FREE site with ONLY people that are helping you for FREE in their own time !!!

If you have paid for something then you can complain to the company but leave your anger @ home next time.

A normal question gets you further then anything else...

Please keep your cool...

Thank you

Robert

We all need to learn it once, how hard it may seem when you look at it, also you will master it someday ;)

I absolutely agree with you. I was frustrated, and I was venting.

I realize that this is all free, however I have actually donated to a team member for their kindness of helping me with a small, but custom solution. Unfortunately I have posted pleanty of other questions, and a good chunk of them have gone unanswered. They seemed like pretty simple questions to me. Maybe I'm just posting at the wrong time of the day (or there are too many other questions to answer), but after a while you get desperate for attention and a solution.

In this case, the PayPal IPN contribution has been sitting here for about two months without any true technical support. Yet it's probably one of the most important payment modules around. I realize that is a matter of opinion, and each individual has their own needs. I'm sure there are others like me that have had to put the launch of their store on hold because of PayPal IPN not working, or any other problem for that matter.

As time goes on, there's only going to be more and more people passing through here, and there are going to be more frustrated persons reacting like myself to various trouble they are experiencing. I think a first step would be that documentation be improved before things get out of hand. I don't mean just with OSC, but the contributions as well. People are throwing fantastic mods together, but are not including proper instructions. Sure the readme files explain how to copy a file over to install it, but half of the time they do not explain how to configure the admin section to get it to work, or what not to configure to get it to work. Documentation is key. It will make life easier for everyone and reduce the number of questions coming in. I truly believe the quality bar on contribution documentation should be raised.

On that note, I would like to add that I just had all four wisdom teeth pulled. While I would recommend this to everyone (the nitrous gas is fabulous :lol: ), the pain does tend to throw your mood off. My apologies if I have offended anyone. Perhaps an admin would wish to edit my original post to make it sound more pleasant?

Edited by Johnson

john

I agree that a lack of support with the paypal IPN is apparent, and that the importance of a payment module is probably more important than most contributions out there.

I understand the author of this contrib had a baby a couple months ago, and I can honestly say I don't blame him for not hanging around on forums. My wife is pregnant and due in one month, as for me, my site will be put on hold and you won't be seeing me.

But in the meantime, I am surprised nobody has "taken over" as a support leader on this contrib. I have seen quite a few other contributions where the author abandoned the project after a couple weeks, but somebody else was there to help out.

I am sorry if I am out of line here, no I haven't contributed anything...YET. I have only been using osCommerce for a month now. It is also the first time I have seen php. But I am a fast learner, and a huge fan of forums and helping others.

Again my apologies in advance, boo me, ban me, yell at me or whatever, I am just speaking my piece.

you guys better read the rules of PAYPAL very well and then check all sites that are against PAYPAL, they will tell you what will happen when someone pays you with a stolen credit card for example.

Paypal cleans your account, blocks the stolen cc.

So where did you worked for again ? to give your money away...

i don't think so, it's better to investigate for a merchant in stead of using PAYPAL, it's not really THAT popular anymore....

my 2 cents

BTW search this forum and read all about it....

Robert

We all need to learn it once, how hard it may seem when you look at it, also you will master it someday ;)

when you have contributed something, such as a code piece or something else, then you will understand what it takes in terms of time to provide support - there are a number of people who provide support and we all cant answer everyone's questions all the time

no one is saying you cant seek support, and no one is saying you can point out a bug if you find one, but people who write code contributions do so on their own time, using a specific version of OSC and there are bound to be issues as OSC changes

but if you are going to get abusive about it as if someone owes you something, then you are in the wrong place..... 8)

Well, let me be the first to tell you, that the PayPal IPN paymenyt module works great, installed easily, and doesn't have any known bugs or issues.

The people that write these programs cannot be expected to support the installation and usage of them for the rest of their lives, you know. It's up to *you* to install them properly, and use them correctly.

Believe me, 99.9999 % of *all* questions and issues posted in these forums are due to user error, incomplete installation, or simply not following the usage directions.

I'd have to assume that this is the case here because there are *hundreds*, if not *thoudsands* of other shop owners that are using the Paypal IPN, myself included, and it works perfectly.

That being said, I would also recommend getting a merchant account. I've been hit by fraudulent orders through paypal several times now, and I always come out on the losing end. Merchant accounts can be alost as cheap as paypal these days, and they give you a hell of a lot more protection and functionality.

Goog Luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

That's not true Wizardsandwars. There are bugs. Maybe you have a different version of PayPal IPN, or an older version of OSC. For USA addresses, the confirmation email is missing the Bill To and Shipping address. Someone has worked on a possible fix, and I will be trying a little later. But it is a definate bug and many have noticed it.

I still would like to stress that documentation on all levels needs to be improved. For example, how would an individual know that Set Order Status being set to DEFAULT doesn't work. My first assumption would have been to leave it at that setting since all my experience says, "leave it at the Default setting unless you understand what happens when you change it." There is not documentation that says "chage this value or your orders won't work." It's simple things like this that make life so much easier for everyone. And lowers the frustration level.

I am not asking that the OSC Team members go and update the documentation on all the contributions. But I highly recommend that they stress to the contributors to include better instructions before they submit their mods. Free or not, why should anyone have to guess at what someone else meant? I already get enough of that at my day job. :wink:

Well, I use the latest PayPal IPN module, and I use a recent snapshot of OSC.

The PayPal IPN confirmation email does not include the "Billing Address", but it does contain the "Shipping Address". The lack of a Billing Address would not be considered a "Bug" by any developers standards. Perhaps it doesn't contain the functionality you would like it to, but the contribution works perfectly if installed properly, and used as described in the read me file.

The default status of a paypal order that the customer has not completed a trasaction for should be "PayPal Processing". This is the way the contribution is set up by default, and it works perfectly if you leave it this way. When the customer finishes paying for the order, the order status is automaticaly updated to whatever you have your shop set up to be the default order status for orders that are awaiting processing. This was all explained in the read me file.

I completely agree that contributions should be submitted with full documentation, however, I also believe that this contribution fully meets that condition.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Here's a copy of the confirmation email.

Sub-Total: $96.80

Canada Post (0.7kgs) (1 boxes via Small Packets - Surface, 2 to 4 weeks): $7.40

Total: $104.20

Delivery Address

------------------------------------------------------

Billing Address

Payment Method

PayPal IPN

The above occurs with US addresses. It is not happening with Canadian addresses. As you can see, there are no addresses present. This would obviously confuse a client/customer.

I don't think you understand the issue with the Set Order Status issue. When an order is created and the customer is sent to PayPal to complete the transaction, the Order status is set to PayPal Processing. As soon as the customer completes payment, the order status should change to Pending or Processing, or whatever. But it's not. It's vanishing. If you leave it set to Default, once the customer has paid, the Order_Status record in the Orders table is getting set to 0 (Zero). Since 0 does not have a relationship with anything in the Orders_Status table, the order will be filtered out when it's queried.

orders_status_id  language_id  orders_status_name  

1, 1, Pending 

2, 1, Processing 

3, 1, Delivered 

99999, 1, Paypal Processing

As you can see, there is no record with an orders_status_id of 0. It could be another bug, or as I said, the documentation is incorrect.

Well, that's interesting, because I have several orders each day processed through the PayPal IPN contribution, several of which are to Canadian addresses, and of course several in the US.

I have never had a blank delivery or shipping address.

Also, when a order is completed, and the customer is paid, the order *is* updated to "Pending" by default, though you cna change this to whatever other order status you like?

If you are saying that your PayPal IPN does not function in this way, then I would suggest that you double check you installation, because this is how is is supposed to function, and this is how it does funtion for 100's of other osc users.

If you do have it properly installed, then perhaps htere is another contribution that you have installed that is in some way conflicting with this contribution. perhaps you can list all of the contributions you have installed here.

Are you saying that in Admin, if you leave the "Order Status for COMPLETED Transactions" setting as '0' than your orders will disappear?

Well, I guess I can understand why that would be, "0" is not one of the options listed.

Ah, it looks like I may have been wrong here, and this is a bug.

The version I am using which works perfectly, is hte previous version. the vbersion you are using does update to "0" is you leave it as default, which is incorrect.

if using v.97 for either MS1 or for the newcheckout, it pulls the address incorrectly for the email.

I have tried this and it is working ok from what I can see:

at the bottom of paypal_notify.php, find and change:

tep_address_label($order->customer['id'], $order->delivery['format_id'], 0, '', "n")

to

tep_address_format($order->delivery['format_id'], $order->delivery, 0, '', "n")

and change

tep_address_label($order->customer['id'], $order->billing['format_id'], 0, '', "n")

to

tep_address_format($order->delivery['format_id'], $order->billing, 0, '', "n")

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

Hot damn, glad i saw this thread. I too had orders that were coming in, but not showing up in order status, change my paypal default status, and it worked!

Now i can turn paypal payments back on..thanks! ;)

Hi!

I am really sorry for the delay on updates for the PayPal IPN contrib.

Since my baby was born, we (my wife and me) are really busy.

Mostly because of the baby... we are first timers on it!!! :) ...

And mostly because since the baby is here, I get a second job that takes the remaining time I had...

I love the osCommerce project and I am happy to help the community bringing the PayPal IPN Contrib.

I know it still has problems for some users and I know that there are some more features requested.

I hope to be able to start working again on the contrib in about 2 or 3 weeks (yes... thats a lot of time for those that are having problems right now).

By the way... if you want to see why I am out of time... click here ;)

Again, sorry to those that are having problems and NO responses from me. I am sure you will get a good response here in the forums.

Best regards

congrats

my daughter is already 10,5 months so i know what you mean,

I am taking care of her all the time and my wife works, what a concept or not...lol

Robert

Hi!

I am really sorry for the delay on updates for the PayPal IPN contrib.

Since my baby was born, we (my wife and me) are really busy.

Mostly because of the baby... we are first timers on it!!! :) ...

I know all about the baby stuff. I've lost many beer buddies due to their wives having babies. :lol:

Congrats on a healthy baby. Chat with ya soon.

if using v.97 for either MS1 or for the newcheckout, it pulls the address incorrectly for the email.

I have tried this and it is working ok from what I can see:

tep_address_label($order->customer['id'], $order->delivery['format_id'], 0, '', "n")

to

and change

tep_address_label($order->customer['id'], $order->billing['format_id'], 0, '', "n")

to

tep_address_format($order->delivery['format_id'], $order->billing, 0, '', "n")

I found a small problem with the billing address... I have it using the format as the delivery, which should be ok since both use the same format I'm sure... but in any case here are the technically correct corrections:

to

and change

to

tep_address_format($order->billing['format_id'], $order->billing, 0, '', "n")

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke