• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customer Address for Tax Calculation

Ian-San

We now have: Customer Account Address, Billing Address, Delivery Address plus any address that the customer uses for payment modules all easily set up by the customer which is great.

And when the product is a physical item that has to be delivered, there is no real problem as taxes can be based on the delivery address and 99.9% of customers will give you the correct delivery address!

However, if no delivery (or download) is involved - e.g. a membership fee, a charity donation, telephone service etc etc, then taxes would normally be based on the customers account address with the dlivery and billing addresses being used just for information.

So it would be useful if OS has a simple switch to determine which address the shop owner wants to use for tax - e.g. Account or Delivery.

A further enhancement would be to allow the other address options to be switched off.

Ian-san

Flawlessnet

Should the billing address also not be used for service type products?

Yes - so this problem may be just my lack of knowledge about how the cvs version works!

My tests seemed to show that it depended on how you set up your products. e.g.

If you use the download facility it all works fine and the billing address is used for tax.

However, if your product doesn't require a download, you might set it up like a physical product without any delivery options. In this case, it seemed to me that the delivery address was still requested and as such tax based on the delivery country. Maybe I am wrong on this?

Even if the delivery address is surpressed when there are no delivery methods installed, you may get the situation where a store offers free delivery on a physical product and so still needs the delivery address.

Its all gets quite complex! Its almost impossible to be completely generic here - for every hard coded solution, someone else will want the opposite.

In this development store:

www.gowebtools.com

I do not have any physical products and the effect of the purchase is to automatically add some features to a customer account using custom code that looks for certain key words in the Order Details.

Not straight OS - but anyway it shows the flexibility of using OS. In this case, I couldn't see any viable way to stop someone claiming a tax free sale as they can lie about every address except the one they use in WorldPay. So I removed all tax free options.

If I could force the tax to be calculated on the billing address, I would have a viable way forward to offering tax free sales.

Ian-san

Flawlessnet

• 1 month later...

Hello Harald,

is there anyway in 2.2MS1 to make the downloadable products by billing address as opposed to delivery address (or all products by billing address). I have found a costly loop hole in my store where purchasers of downloadable goods can specify a billing address within the UK and a delivery address outside the UK and hence miss the VAT.

The issue arises when you have a combination of both downloadable and tangible goods in your cart.

Thank you

Yes, this is a problem I just noticed a well - I'm dealing with tangible products that need to be shipped. If you purchase something for shipping to another address that's outside your tax zone, the taxes are not calculated on the purchase.

For example, I'm in Canada and subject to GST. If I buy and send something to my brother in the US, it isn't charged tax by OSC, but it should be.

I guess it's because OSC is using the delivery address instead of the billing address.

This is bad as OSC won't charge the taxes that are due, but I'll be liable for them regardless :(

Is there a switch that I need to set somewhere? or do I need to start in on the code?

-al

• 3 months later...
Just found another thread on this and also found the bit of code that needs changing...

Check here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...p=183390#183390

Good luck!

-al

Hi,

Do you still have the bit of code or can point me to where I need to change what? unfortunately the link to the above thread doesn't work anymore, probably thanks to the new forum...

Thanks!!

Archived