• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A new store for Oz.

Obviously you didn't read the sticky at the top of this forum.

Not only do the general forum rules apply here, but any stores discussed here must have the "Powered by osCommerce" text displayed. Not only are you using osCommerce, but you will also receive valuable advice from the osCommerce community. If your site does not contain this, the posting will be deleted.

Also, IMHO you haven't changed it enough to remove the OSC copyright notice either.

Is it just me or have the last 100 sites posted here been pretty much stock OSC (this one included)? What happened to the creativity? :?

OK, Ii forgot to put the powered by osc notice back in when I was changing the footer.

So I like the layout of osc.

How much do you have to change it to take out the copyright notice?

At least I actually went and changed the colours and the graphics as well as a whole lot of other stuff around to not be the default scheme. There are a whole heap of sites out there that I've seen that haven't even gone to half the effort.

Yeah I know know it could be a little bit more creative, but after all, we can't all be as creatively adept as what you must be.

See now this is the critisism we all need.

Thanks

John

How much do you have to change it to take out the copyright notice?

The layout is not copyrighted. It is the stylesheet that is copyrighted, so if you change the stylesheet, which you have, then you can remove the copyright notice. The default graphics may also be copyrighted, but I am unsure on those. The main thing is the stylesheet.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

I don't see anything wrong with having a stock store. I don't remember noticing or caring about the appearance of any store I've ever bought anything from. The amount and organization of the information, the page load speeds, and no dead links are what interests me in a store.

I would like to see more detail on your product info pages before I would be likely to buy. Maybe even a link to more information, drivers, etc at the manufacturer's web site.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

The layout is not copyrighted. It is the stylesheet that is copyrighted, so if you change the stylesheet, which you have, then you can remove the copyright notice.

That's absurd. How did you think that one up? :?

NOTE: if you wish to remain on the My Store forum ... please read the Sticky Topic for this forum and add the osCommerce link to your footer. Thanks, Linda

read the FAQ on the copyright notice and it just might come to you

- Edmund Burke

I have.

The osCommerce copyright announcement displayed on the Catalog module of osCommerce can, however, be modified, and even removed, if the layout of the site theme has been modified to distinguish itself from the default osCommerce-copyrighted theme.

You obviously don't understand copyright law.

I have.

The osCommerce copyright announcement displayed on the Catalog module of osCommerce can, however, be modified, and even removed, if the layout of the site theme has been modified to distinguish itself from the default osCommerce-copyrighted theme.

You obviously don't understand copyright law.

yes I do quite well... read again... is says the notice can be "removed, if the layout of the site theme has been modified to distinguish itself from the default osCommerce-copyrighted theme."

now read one more time.. it says layout of the site THEME, not just layout of the site... two completely different things. And how it is written it is wide open to different interpritations in the eyes of the law.

- Edmund Burke

The theme on the site as it stands is not the default osc theme the layout on the other hand is similar minus a few bits and pieces. there is a big difference between the two.

O'k I give credit where credit is due as in the powered by osc bit harald and the rest of the team have put in a lot of hard work with this.

That's fine by me I know if I do some work on a site I like my credit to be known.

Surely this issue has been raised on several occasions before.

John

Hi John,

A couple of things you might want to look at, the first was I got a Certificate Misconfiguration warning when swithing from HTTP to HTTPS.

The second, the account sign up page....the default colors don't match the rest of your site's colors.

the last one may or may not be of any importance....I am on a 56K dial up account and most of the pages were very slow to complete loading. On average of 50 to 60 seconds per page.

Archived