• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Menu Tabs help

rag

I'm using Menu_TAB and am scratching my head as to why ALL of my categories are not showing up in Tabs. I am missing one category.

Any clues as to how I would hunt this one down?

TIA,

Rob G

check the install info again IT DOES WORK !!!

even on the snaphot of 2day

Robert

We all need to learn it once, how hard it may seem when you look at it, also you will master it someday ;)

check the install info again IT DOES WORK !!!

even on the snaphot of 2day

Thanks for the response. Yea, mine works too except as I said I'm missing one of my categories from the tabbed menu. I know how to adjust which item appears in a menu tab but I can't find in the instructions where you control which categories get tabbed. Do I need to install another contribution for categories?

Thanks,

Rob

If you are missing one cataegory. is its cat_id 23?

if it is I found out that I had left some old code in the for linda's

hide a category with out really making sure it worked ok.

Near the bottom of the code in catelog/includes/categories_tab.php

you should see

// WebMakers.com Added: Hide a hidden Category from the Tabs

// Set to value of the Hidden categories_id

$hide_category='23';

change the 23 to something like 100 and it should be ok

I am doing a temp fix for that in the next release, then when

Linda Gets the undated Quantity controller published. I will up date again

so it works with her contribution.

I have been working on the code a little lately and should

get some free time to day to work on it today.

Tom

Hi,

Hope you get this message. I've just had a chance to fix, so thanks v much.

Your install.txt has a typo:

1. installing admin: edit the following files

---------------------------------------------------

admin/application_top.php

//bof for menu_tab

define('TABLE_MENU_TAB', 'menu_tab');

define('FILENAME_MENU_TAB', 'menu_tab.php');

// eof menu tab

--------------------------------------------------------

It should read: define('TABLE_MENU_TAB', 'tab_menu'');

Hope that helped and thanks for all your work,

Rob[/b]

This bit at the end of the insert into the header was giving me grief:

<?php

}

// EOF: Added: Category and menu tabs

?>

I just commented out the stray left facing brace "}" and it seemed to work. Otherwise I was getting an error for the header. Did I break anything? Seems to work fine now.

Thanks,

Rob

Sorry those are bugs that I post to the forum some time ago.

I hope I did not cause to much grief by not getting a patch out.

There may be a one or two more bugs.

Menu tabs version 2 with those fixed applied will hopefully be published

in the next week or two.

http://www.pdpatch.com/osc/tab/index.htm

is the info page on updates and changes in next version.

category and menu tabs will combined. but don't worry you can turn them

on and off as you like.

I will include an upgrade.sql so your current tabs information is not

over written.

The last main feature I have had requested to add is causing some trouble.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I looked for some of the gossip on this clever idea but you know how it is when you searching for things. Thanks again Tom,

Rob

Tom,

Just a couple more questions please:

1. On the Admin screenshots page I notice there are 3 subheadings under

Menu Tab

----------

Menu Tab Edit

Category Tab

Config

I only have Menu Tab Edit showing. Am I missing something?

2. I'm not getting my CSS to work properly with the font face of the tabs. How do I set the text properties values? I'm sure you have already put the class="somestyle" for the category tabs, but I can't figure out where.

Thanks Tom,

Rob

question 1.

For the version you are running no, I did another contribution for

category tabs , Or I should say I did a modified version of the original

categort tabs then add menu tabs. The version your are using most likely

is the one that only has menu tabs in it.

What you are see is the new version that combines both my version of category tabs and menu tabs and adds alot of admin control over both.

In that screen shot ther are actually two. But there will be three when I

get it finished.

question 2.

they should have been added to the stylesheet.

For display of normal tab

TD.tab

A.tab

A.tab:hover

and for displaying when you are on a page

TD.ontab

A.ontab

A.ontab:hover

Tom

in your stylesheet

around line 21 you have

/* BOF: menu-category Tabs */

TD.tab {

background-image: url(images/tabs/tab_middle.gif);

TD.tab {

background-repeat: repeat;

color: #6699cc;

font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

font-style: normal;

font-weight: bold;

font-size: smaller;

}

you need to remove the extra

TD.tab {

Netscape and mozilla are very picky about the stye sheets entries.

Since the closing } was missing it blew up.

IE is bad about standerds so it ignored ther error.

Tom

I should have added

font-size: smaller;

is not supported well by all browsers well what is better for fonts size is

font-size: 12px;

this will render more uniformally across diffrent browsers and OS's.

Its my bad that I left that in and will try to fix that in the next releases

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I want to do.

I would like to have the main categories as tabs.

**But, when they click a tab can the sub-categories show up on the next page?

I have taken off the categories menu from the left. The only place to see categories are the tabs. So, by clicking a tab then I would like for them to see the sub-categories on the next page.

It gets to "goudy" and cluttered if they all stack on top of each other, know what I mean?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

--

Thanks,

NateDog

I was really really really hoping no one would bring that up.

Yes I could most likely do that but I would have to play with it for a while.

I am just hoping to find time to just get this version finished.

Catgegories tabs was originally made from the categories box code. The origianl code that allows for subcategories to show could be added back in and to list subcategories under the parent if a category is clicked on.

One question would be: Would you want the main parent categories to still show or would they be hidden? Deciding how they should be displayed would be the really hard part.

Tom

Hey Tom since I got my Category Tabs working just the way I want them can I jump in with my 2 bobs worth?

I have taken off the categories menu from the left. The only place to see categories are the tabs.

I'm not sure that is correct. Have a look at my site

www.musicplace.com.au/catalog I have the submenus but not as tabs. Also you'd really have to convince me that you really need them as tabs anyway as I think it would be a bit offputting having the tabs changing so often. My theory (and I'm no expert) is that tabs work so well because they emulate the real tab from a filing system. They are static and reliable. Use your tabs as a main navigation and then when you click to the main category page you will see the subcategories.

With image overload caused by having all these tabs and category images all over the place you may want to consider turning off the manditory image display in Admin Configure/Images - set Image Required to FALSE. Then don't make any subcat images.

Another cool way of handling subcats would be to work out how to get the text links to show up in the breadcrumb bar. I'm beginning to think that maybe the subcats are MORE important than the breadcrumbs.

Not sure if I'm answering your question but what the heck....

Cheers,

Rob

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Ok, let me get more detailed. Here's what I want to happen. They click a category. Then if it has a subcategory it is taken to the next page and they just show up like normal. Ex: show up as the names of the subcategories and when you put your mouse over them it uses the default stylesheet when mouse is over link. And if you put a picture with the subcategory that would be displayed above the link. And under all of this are all the products that are in that main category.

So, basically when they click the tab it just goes to the next page like normal and shows the subs and under that shows the products for that category.

Look in the contributions for this: Category Tabs with Subs I think he took another code and modified it. I've installed a lot of mods (contributions) since then but his code won't show the subs either. I thought maybe it was because I've screwed something up and it just won't show my subs.

Anyways, I like your idea of the stylesheet. It is a lot cleaner than his idea. If you take a look at his category PHP file - look at the bottom and you'll see the code for sub categories. He said he took the original code from Paul Marshall? Hopefully this helps, maybe I've confused you - I hope not.

You can go to my online catalog at http://www.digitalmeltdown.biz/catalog it looks like crap now and I'm still testing, but I've taken your categories off and put his on. I will be putting yours back on sometime today.

--

Thanks,

NateDog

Rob don't worry every thing I have added, or will add, can be turned on and off in the admin.

so you don't want to use an added feature if you don't have to.

The only thing for the style sheet that has changed is the background color behind the tabs

can be changed and turned on and off in the admin. This was done for those that have a image

in the header.

As I am updating the code I am try to make it so different layouts types can be used. So I would add

both the image and text for subs. Depending on if I could get the code to work and place switches

in the admin to turn on or off. I have also added a configuration table to "remember" settings.

Using Java to do the sub would be a lot easier the just PHP code But!

I would just as soon as not use to much Java script, since how well Java works is dependent

which on the Java virtual machine that is installed and used. Most people don't use Sun's version

which is a lot better then MS's version and more stable. So I am try to avoid using Java if

at all possible.

I have looked at the code for tabs with subs, Its problem is that the code that pulls the categories from the DB and

generates the tabs is actually an internal function. If the coder did not declare new variables

in a GLOBALS statement they would /could be unstable which they are.

i was having this problem remembering to add to the globals statement and I knew it was there and had to be added to.

The new version I am doing, of the category tab code does not have a internal function. So if

A coder does not have to remember to add to the a globals statement. Splicing in the subs code

should work better now but won't know until I or some one else actually does it.

Next week I must go back to working as a graphic artist. If I do not get the coding done by Monday

it will be delayed over a month until it is publish. I am leaning towards finishing testing,

code clean up, document writing, packaging and releasing what I have gotten done so far done.

Then in the next version add subs and a couple of other features that have been requested.

My Earlier statement "I was really really really hoping no one would bring that up."

was based on that I had not finished re-coding category tabs. Until I had that finished

I know it would not work well for everyone.

I may or may not have answered any questions but I am more for delaying implementing subs until

the next version. But who know I may have a moment of inspiration and dive in and have it work

the first time.

But suggestions are really welcome and very useful and thanks to everyone who has made a suggestion. If your suggestion does not make it into this version it was not because it may have been a bad suggestion, but rather I ran out of time while codeing.

Tom

• 1 month later...

I am using the thema version with one of paul langfords theme - V-BlueBaby and when I turn off the menu tabs - the categories stll show in the header, when I do the tabbing no space is inserted and the background color is not impacted. I do have all the stylesheet edits.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I never had to chance to start testing with paul langfords theme

system yet It will be several more weeks untill I can get back to any PHP

stuff.

Tom

• 1 year later...

I am using Category and Menu tabs V2.X

and I get this error when I try to create a new tab.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_array_merge() in /home/xxxxx/public_html/catalog/admin/menu_tab.php on line 103

I just love this.

thank you

Noppie

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...