• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Anything Non Google Friendly?

Hello all,

I've just finished building an art gallery site, and I think I?ve done everything to please google, but my site still hasn?t been fully crawled.

Its got as far as my root page, and indexed the links from there but nothing else.

Can anyone give me any tips on what I might be doing wrong?

Many thanks

Caspar

FyersArt.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a thread in the Tips and Tricks that has one and there is another by Winterradio in the Contributions section. There is a third by Ian Wilson but, it has some conflicts at the moment.

through searching the forums, some people think the spider catcher is a form of redirection, which google doesnt like... whats your opinion on that?

In my opinion, that is complete bunk. I have the spider catcher installed on my site and the last Google crawl on my site resulted in more than 200 listings on Google. If they don't like it they have a funny way of showing it. :D

The main purpose of the spider catcher is to identify the spider and make sure that it does not generate the session ids in the listings (could be a security problem) and to keep it from getting "stuck" on a site and using huge amounts of bandwidth.

GoogleGuy has confirmed that stripping SIDs from the URLs (which is what the main SID killer script does), is not re-directing, cloaking etc.

He has no problem with it whatsoever.

FYI, GoogleGuy is a bit of a mysterious character, who appears to be high up in Google, maybe a senior engineer or somesuch.

hey burt maybe you could take googleguy out for drinks and get him to reveal the truth and secrets about Google's indexing and ranking algorithm :wink:

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

HHhmmm....

When I went to the contribution he states this:

If you are using cvs after 19.03.2003 you don't need it any more, cause a similar thing is implemented

Is there a way to tell if my version has this implementation? Anyone have an idea what I'd look for? My csv is actually from a couple weeks ago.

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

Admin ~ Configuration ~ Sessions ~ set Prevent Spider Sessions to true.

If Prevent Spider Sessions is not listed then you do not have it. ;)

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

No problem Kim :)

It is working very well. Is this Burt's spider killer?

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

I haven't looked at the source code yet but, I know both Burt's and Winterradio's work similarly. My connection is really slow today and I'm still uploading the latest snapshot...I'll look at the changes and let you know what I think.

It's based on my logic (I even got a mention in the weekly newsletter thing) - however the code has been modified somewhat, and really bears little to no resemblance to my original script.

For anyone using it, there is a typo in spider.txt, scroll down in that file and seperate

kit_fireballlachesis

to

kit_fireball

lachesis

hth

Well....

I am not lucky enough to have a newer version installed, so I am attempting to install the sid killer mentioned before.

I followed the directions, and either missed something or did it incorrectly.

I get a 404 error when I try to access the page spider_configure.php

Anyone have a tip?

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

Did you...

- add at the end of your application_top.php before ?>

// Spiderkiller

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'spider_configure.php')

Archived