• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Just contributed - Fedex Shipping Quotes

sfatula

In the contributions section, under shipping modules. This module works with MS1 and perhaps pre-MS1 new checkout procedure versions of OSC 2.2. This does a REAL TIME rate quote based on your negotiated rates with Fedex and uses a supported Fedex API. Thanks to all who helped test this module. I have been using it for many months on my live site. For those who did help test, please note this is a slightly updated version.

Steve

Talkin' about good timing! :D I was just pouring through all the posts about the past FedEx contribution and how everything changed when FDX changed their site which left an "in process" contribution to be abandoned.

Looking REALLY forward to installing this! This was going to be a major issue for us in using osc.

One question: :oops: Is it available in .zip?

Thanks!

-shaun

Oh well never mind, I got it to decompress. The first couple times I downloaded it to my windows machine, then uploaded it to my server, and the file wouldn't decompress, but then I tried downloading it directly to my server - and that worked. Odd, cause I've downloaded tars to my windows machine before and they were ok.

Fedex is not fast about their work, so you'll have to have patience! Meanwhile, please download 1.11 as there was a typo in a last minute name change. It is also in ZIP format by popular request. I also made the description clear before you download that you MUST have Curl on your server, which most servers either do or gladly add it for you if you have a service.

Steve

Thanks, Steve for the updated version (in zip too :D )

I've not installed it yet but was wondering if it was better to wait until we hear back from FDX with the form info before installing? I've submitted it, but waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks!

-shaun

Thanks, Steve for the updated version (in zip too :D )

I've not installed it yet but was wondering if it was better to wait until we hear back from FDX with the form info before installing? I've submitted it, but waiting to hear back from them.

I haven't gotten any response from FedEx, but I went ahead and installed it, and it seems to be working fine. I'm not sure if its giving us the rates with our discount, but its giving rates that look right, even for International.

- Cisco Serret

I do not think you actually HAVE to wait on them, I believe it works perfectly. But, the good thing about signing up is they will keep you notified about any changes they make or are making. i.e., if they ever make some huge change and warn about compatability, we'll all know before it happens. As some have noticed, with some of the current shipping modules, one day they just break and no one knew in advance. This should not happen with this module as it uses a Fedex supported and encouraged API.

CISCO - if you want to know if YOUR rates are correct, do a rate quote on the Fedex site and compare. The module should quote a lower rate if indeed you have a discount. Mine are exactly on. This works well for those with discounted rates as otherwise your shipping rates may drive away some customers.

Steve

Thanks again for the info. I'll proceed with installing it to start checking rates.

On the topic of FDX rates, (little off-topic) how does one negotiate custom rates with them? I've often been floored by the low flat rates I've seen some online retailers use (even if they are buffering some of it in their product margins) - rates that we couldn't touch on our best day! :cry:

Any tips? Thanks!

-shaun

Ok, got it installed without any problems (except forgot to add the ); back in after the last options after I commented out the last shipping option in each list within in the fedex1.php file.

But... I'm not yet able to get rates. I get this on my shipping page:

"An error occured with the fedex shipping calculations.

Fedex may not deliver to your country, or your postal code may be wrong."

I've tried several addresses and zips with the same result. I used gateway.fedex.com/GatewayDC as the server info in the admin/modules/shipping configuration. That's correct at the given moment, isn't it?

I've not edited the ship-to address much during my tests but one thing I did find is that each time I did during this test, osc returned me to the edit ship-to page and asked me to select the state again via a drop-down menu for verification. Is this standard or could this be related to my FedEx addition.

Thanks for any assistance.

-shaun

Make sure you edited and set the appropriate fields in the includes/modules/shipping/fedex1.php file, that's the most common problem. It must have a valid ship from address.

Also common is fogetting to use NONE for the meter number the first time.

If you feel you have done this all properly, add the following line right before the return $reply in the function _AccessFedex:

echo $reply

Then go ahead and email or post here the results from that off of your screen. Usually, it's a pretty big hint as to what the problem is.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I double-checked my file edits and I "think" everything is ok.

Here is what I got when I printed $reply:

0,"125"2,"5011"3,"No meter number."99,""

This is with NONE as the meter number and gateway.fedex.com/GatewayDC as the FedEx server. I entered this per the readme and did not add https:// per the module directions.

Thanks!

-shaun

:lol: From the download page:

[sunSite] [Pair]  

Ok, the old last minute change deal. Had soem typos in the languages/modules./shipping/fedex1.php file, so, fixed. Please ignore version 1.10, and also please note, the Fedex moduile REQUIRES Curl on your server.

btw - Thanks a LOT youre the best!!

Shaun, you are certain it is a capital NONE? Not a spaceNONE, or anything else? If you are sure, then at the BEGINNING of _AccessFedex, put in a:

echo $data;

And post the reply.

Ok, COsborne, so another typo in the description was made! I never said I could type!

Steve

Steve -

Yep, NONE in all caps and no spaces. Initially when I edited the fedex1.php file for our ship-from address, I noticed no zip... that is correct, right?

Here's the result of putting in the echo $data: at the beginning of _AccessFedEx

0,"25"10,"225479887"498,""8,"TN"9,"NONE"117,"NONE"17,"39180"50,"US"75,"LBS"1116,"I"1401,"3.0"1415,"100.00"68,"USD"440,"Y"1333,"3"99,""0,"125"2,"5011"3,"No meter number."99,""

Thanks!

-shaun

You seem to be msising STORE_ORIGIN_ZIP, STORE_ORIGIN_COUNTRY. These should be set up in the ADMIN configuration screens. Look under Shipping/Packaging. There are 2 values to be set:

1. Country Code - Set to US

2. Postal Code - Set you your origin zip code

This may be why you initially did not get a meter number.

I do notice there is an error in function -getMeter. The

if (!($meterpos === FALSE)) {

should be

if (!($meterStart == FALSE)) {

The 498,"" means your meter number is set to spaces. Please reset to NONE and try again once you have set the configuration values I mentioned above. The 9,"NONE" = the origin zip, and the 117,"NONE" = the origin country.

I will add the fact that these need to be set to the doc for any next version.

Steve

THAT WAS IT! :D It's running error free and producing rates - YES!!!

My rates seem to be little higher than quotes through our account and I currently have the surcharge set to 0. I'll run some more to see if anything matches. So far, they seem to be a little high but don't seem to adhere to any flat "x" dollar amount.

Question: I have a test product set for 1 pound, have surcharge to 0, and don't think there are any other handling fees active, but when the FedEx rate comes up in parentheses it has (1 x 4lbs.) Where is the weight coming from? Just trying to understand how it all works.

Steve, thanks SO much for your awesome work AND support! Definitely above and beyond and it's greatly appreciated on this end - by us and our customers who will use the system in the near future.

-shaun

Weights come from OSC, they pass them down to me, I do not calculate them. Do you have a Package tare weight perhaps set? Same screen in Admin as where you defined the store zip and country code. That's my first guess.

Rates will not match UNLESS you also consider the fuel surcharge and any destination charges (some locations have more fees tacked on). My program returns the real total price you will be charged. So, that should be the difference. Compare to a statement you have received from them.

Steve

In the contributions section, under shipping modules. This module works with MS1 and perhaps pre-MS1 new checkout procedure versions of OSC 2.2. This does a REAL TIME rate quote based on your negotiated rates with Fedex and uses a supported Fedex API. Thanks to all who helped test this module. I have been using it for many months on my live site. For those who did help test, please note this is a slightly updated version.

How do I download the fedex module?

Rgds

Brian