• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Just contributed - Fedex Shipping Quotes

sfatula

Steve,

I also want to thank you very much. We have used fedex for years and I was dreading having to use UPS or USPS since I like Oscommerce so much. Mine is working great also without registering with fedex.

I also was confused about the pricing. I went to the fedex site and carefully looked at their rate lists and compared them to the results we are getting. To different parts of the country and at different weights looks like about 1.50 or so more on everything.

That must be the surcharge, etc. you mentioned. I will try to see if I can find out where they describe how to add these to the table rates. When we got our fedex account, we just used it and for all I know we have been paying this all along.

Randy -

I'm still checking out rates too, but the info in this thread helped me figure out the different settings.

I'm still considering how we'll buffer in packaging costs. I can either set the tare amount which will give us a fluctuating difference based on zone since it will be part of the calculation of the shipping rate, and/or I can set the surcharge within the FedEx contribution settings. Maybe a blend of both because as the contribution displays the weights there on the checkout, some people may be freaked out when shipping a 1 lb widget lists 3 lbs. :shock:

I'm still curious about the channels people go through to cut deals on custom shipping rates with FedEx. I've never heard/read how that's done exactly.

-shaun

Cutting deals with fedex is strictly a corporate affair based on volume occording to my cpa. We are incorporated and in our meetings this has come up and I can tell you that the result of that was we were convinced that we needed MUCH more volume to qualify. Of course things change and my sources may be influenced by other than real world facts.

I get the impression that it is very corporate and political but would love to be proven wrong by someone more "in the know".

I have installed the Fedex Contribution but i am not getting any results. Here are the outputs from Fedex as you suggested and I fixed the "===" error also.

DATA OUT 0,"211"10,"269668865"4003,"Rene Provencher"4007,"Pro-Deal"4008,"25641 Fort Meigs Rd STE C"4011,"Perrysburg"4012,"OH"4013,"43551"4014,"US"4015,"5145741326"4018,"[email protected]"4022,"1-514-221-2043"99,""

REPLY IN 0,"311"2,"9900"3,"Internal FedEx Ground Server error (9900)."99,""

DATA OUT 0,"25"10,"269668865"498,"NONE"8,"OH"9,"43551"117,"US"17,"01776"50,"US"75,"LBS"1116,"I"1401,"8.7"1415,"160.00"68,"USD"440,"Y"1333,"1"99,""

REPLY IN 0,"125"557,"01"558,"0FAA"1133,"0"99,""

ps. I added the "Data out" and "Reply in" as comments.

TY

Theo

Share your knowlege and you learn even more !

I'm still getting nothing back in $reply. I was told yesterday by Fedex on the phone that we have been added to the test server, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried gatewaybeta.fedex.com and gateway.fedex.com/GatewayDC but I don't get a reply back. I'm not even sure that these are the correct addresses; I've been unable to find the URL for either the test or production server in any of the documentation. The folks at webAPI go home at 4:30CST. Any assistence would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, PHP was compiled with cURL enabled. Yes, I put all the required info in fedex1.php as well in the admin. Yes, I made the $meterStart modification to function _getMeter()

Brian, I use the exact settings you used and I do get a meter number, for ground only. Perhaps you do not have express services set up? Anyway, are you using the test server, or production server? If test, sometimes Fedex has problems with it so if you have gone through the sign up process, you might need to contact them and ask them why their test server isn't working. But on the production server, your info worked perfectly.

Steve

Ben - in an email you sent to me directly, I think you said you don't get any reply from the server.

Can you go to your admin, and click on Tools and Server Info? Near the top, there is a configure command setting. Mine shows:

'./configure' '--with-mysql' '--with-apxs' '--with-curl'

The --with-curl needs to be there.

Also, down the page a way, is a CURL section. Mine shows:

curl

CURL support enabled

CURL Information libcurl 7.9.8 (OpenSSL 0.9.6b)

Check these settings also and post.

Correct production server is currently:

gateway.fedex.com/GatewayDC

Hope one part of this helps. I am not really an OS guy, or install guy when it comes to Curl and OpenSSL so you might need to contact their support poeple if you have trouble with that part.

Steve

The production server info is supposed to be sent to you once you get approved by Fedex to join the production server. However, I never did get the correct info from them, but maybe they got better! The one I just posted is correct.

Steve

I guess I should have asked - do you think your rates are wrong? They are not wrong from a module point of view, but, they are hard to match up with all the surcharges for fuel, destination area, etc and the like. Mine match to the bill, but not to the Fedex web site quote obviously as it is not account specific. It is NOT as easy as rate * your discount! I never found any rate differences between test server and production.

As mentioned to someone, you also have to watch dimensional weights. For my store, I take the greater of the boxed product weight, and the dimensional weight for the item weight, though this can overstate the weight if multiple products are purchased. But hey, even dimensions are not good enough for dimensional weight calcs, OSC would need some additional enhancements like cubes. Also, don't forget the insurance setting as this also affects the rate.

Just some random thoughts.

Steve

COsbourne, the NONE never got replaced no matter what I did.

sfatula, thanks for confirming the gateway.fedex.com/GatewayDC, though you say this is the production server . . . I have NOT been added to the production server as far as I can tell, so maybe that's the problem? Anyway, see for yourself:

php.png

php2.png

Here's the first $data (XXXX are my attempt to protect my client - but I can assure you what was there is all correct)

0,"211"10,"XXXXXXX"4003,"XXXXXXX"4007,"XXXXXXXX"4008,"XXXXXXXXX"4011,"XXXXXXXX"4012,"XX"4013,"XXXXXX"4014,"XX"4015,"XXXXX"99,""

And the second:

0,"25"10,"XXXXXXX"498,"NONE"8,"XX"9,"XXXXX"117,"XX"17,"XXXXX"50,"XX"75,"LBS"1116,"I"1401,"1.9"440,"Y"1333,"5"99,""

both of the $reply come back empty.[/img]

Ben -

So, if you revisit your admin->modules->shipping->FedEx the NONE is still in the meter box each time? While testing mine and working out quirks, each time I tried to get a quote and then revisited the admin... the NONE was gone - the meter text box was blank so each test I would have to key in NONE until I hit it right and it then got the meter number which replaced the NONE.

Is your NONE always there if you revisit through admin?

-shaun

smartwork -- yeah; no matter what I do, the NONE never goes away. This, combined with the fact that $reply comes back blank, makes me suspect that I'm not getting into the server in the first place.

I talked to someone at FEDEX and they said that the test server URL is gatewaybeta.fedex.com and that I have to send a subscription transaction/request before I get my meter number. He also said that there is not supposed to be any GatewayDC at the end of gateway.fedex.com. I've tried all three combinations and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

If you are certain you have the data correct, and the URL correct (mine is correct, theirs is not), then I would suspect a curl issue. It could also be a routing or internet issue or firewall or ...., who's to say.

If you want me to try it, then send me a private email with your complete string. If you can't send me the string, then I can't try it. I would wager it works fine if I try it, but can't prove it without getting all the setting in that initial string with your XXX in it. At least if you know it works for me, you have an angle to work on.

Steve

Ben -

I'm still using the gateway with the DC on it - which was mentioned in the install as being the test. But I think Steve mentioned here that it's production. I'm not sure on that one but will review the email that FedEx sent.

Upon looking at your number stream above in the post where you put your phpinfo, that 1st string looks quite different from your second... as well as from the strings I've received. While the fields are marked by "10, 8, 9, 117, 17, 50, 75, 1116, 1401, 1415, 68, 440, 1333, 99, etc... I notice that your first string is loaded with numbers in the 4000 range. Is that from some other format you're using? I have no clue why the difference - just looking for things that are unfamiliar.

Also... when mine wasn't working, I still got NONE for fields 117 and 17 but based on your XXXX it out, it appears that you're getting a value there. Is that right?

I don't think it matters, but does your product you're testing with have a price? I didn't see it in the list if I'm looking at it correctly - field 68. One thing in my initial testing was that I had not yet entered a weight for my test products.

Looking outside of osc, your ISP or Host or server aren't within any black-listed or blocked IP block are they?

-shaun

I think his problem may turn out to be he is not on the test server, he sent me an email confirming that Fedex now tells him he is not. It will be interesting to see if that makes a difference or not. Some have said it works without applying.

There are two different strings as the first one is to capture the meter number, it does this each time the value is NONE, which is every time for him. Meter number is required. So, he is not getting one returned. We will see if them adding him to the server makes a difference or not. I will also be trying his data tonight myself.

Steve

Well, I can't say for certain what fixed it, but all of a sudden three things just started working today when I gave them a try:

Fedex API module

USPS API module

currency updates

My suspicion is that our hosting provider is allowing http connections to emanate from within again. The reason I suspect this is that in addition, lynx is working for sites other than our own (whereas before it did not). Or maybe it has something to do with cURL. This when we were just about to start shopping for a different provider!

Anyway, I'd like to thank all who took their time to troubleshoot this -- Fritz Clapp, C. Osborne, Shuan "smartwork", and especially Steve Fatula.

This also means that the site is now fully functional: http://www.playgroundforthemind.com

Thanks again; hopefully someday I'll be able to return the favor!

Ben

This is GREAT news! Glad to hear it. I am sure your provider did something based on all the things you said started working.

Good luck with your business!

Steve

I am having a problem getting my shipping weights. This is displayed at the top of my shipping page.

Warning: Division by zero in /home/thevinyl/public_html/shop/includes/classes/shipping.php on line 56

Warning: Division by zero in /home/thevinyl/public_html/shop/includes/classes/shipping.php on line 57

Warning: Division by zero in /home/thevinyl/public_html/shop/includes/modules/shipping/fedex1.php on line 63

I do have weights set for all my products, I doubled checked using phpAdmin and they are in mySQL database as products_weight.

Also when people shop, down on the status bar, it will display the cart contents, including the weight of the product. The weight of the product is showing up there, but not for the fedex module.

I have a product that weighs 23 pounds, I add it to my cart, in my status bar it says "Cart: 1 Items $49.36 23lbs". But when I go to checkout this is what I get "Federal Express (0 x 5lbs)". 5lbs is the weight I added for shipping material.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

[/code]

Actually, it's not just FEDEX, you are getging the error before FEDEX as well. My guess - you have the max shipping weight in admin set to 0. Check that setting, in admin, go to configuration -> Shipping/Packaging and check out the Maximum Package Weight. This is the largest package you will ship and is required for all shipping modules. If the weight goes over that, it splits into multiple packages.

Steve