• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Beautyskincare.com osc shop please review

Hi there,

I have been working a week solid on this and although it isn't quite finished (i.e. I need to add a whole load of products!) its is getting there. Please can you take a look and tell me what you think - ease of use, bits that need changing, etc.

Its a site which will sell skincare products that I have been working on for my sister so I would take a guess that prospective customers will not be quite novice at online shopping.

The url is www.beautyskincare.com/default.php (I am keeping the index.html to a 'coming soon' page whilst I finish working on it)

Many thanks for taking a look,

Stephen

Beautyskincare.com

Oh yeah forgot to mention - the credit card processing handled by worldpay is set to test mode so if you enter 16 0's as the card number you can do a test purchase. It won't charge you - I promise....... :wink:

i like it a lot.

this showed up on the login page: TEXT_ORIGIN_LOGIN

and i think the login page might be a little confusing, but it's ok.

i couldn't find the "View Cart" link at first (i'm used to the little arrow in the shopping cart box) but it's fine.

Hi !

I like this nice fresh and very .....cosmetics -ish.

The color tells us what the site is about immediately.

The only thing is on my monitor at work,

There is quite a bit if space either size (19" monitor) of the centre.

This space could have been put to use (Autosize the centre column).

Screen real estate is precious

just my thoughts good luck !

Special Effects / 3d + Flash

When you click on create an account, in the right column the review and bestsellers boxes are with the default header color

The_Bear

Very nice! But I would change 1 thing.

1 When I first looked at the page, my eyes quickly turned to the image full of CCs you accept. This is good to get peoples attention, but the image is a bit big for my taste. Your site is sleek and compact, but the image is bulky and colourful. Maybe throw some grey in it like the pic attached to make it blend in, and so its not so vibrant? Just a thought.

bsc.gif

Very nice though!

- Gian

Very pretty ... :D

I do agree the credit cards do overpower the screen a tad.

But all in all I really like it.

Like it enough to ask may I perhaps have your button set and login page?

Good luck on the site!

i like it a lot.  

this showed up on the login page: TEXT_ORIGIN_LOGIN

and i think the login page might be a little confusing, but it's ok.

i couldn't find the "View Cart" link at first (i'm used to the little arrow in the shopping cart box) but it's fine.

Hi josheli,

Many thanks for the comments. I noticed that TEXT_ORIGIN_LOGIN one time when I was using it and then it hasn't appeared since. I have checked the define and its still there so that one needs investigating!

I was trying the streamline the login a bit as discussion on another thread said that they had a number of dropouts on the signup part. I do think this needs looking at further as my initial usability tests (with my family!!) have indicated it isn't clear what to do next.

Ah yeah good point about the view cart link. I will look at adding this to the box!

Hi !  

I like this nice fresh and very .....cosmetics -ish.  

The color tells us what the site is about immediately.  

The only thing is on my monitor at work,  

There is quite a bit if space either size (19" monitor) of the centre.  

This space could have been put to use (Autosize the centre column).  

Screen real estate is precious  

just my thoughts good luck !

Hi Ramesh,

Thanks for taking a look. Glad you like it! The design does look quite "girly" do you think this will mean men won't like it? We sell products for men too but I think women will dominate! :wink: I don't mind the colours myself and I've tried to tone it down a bit using the beige/yellow and the grey.

I have a 19" too and wanted to flow the layout but it isn't practical for people with 14" screens especially as the backgrounds for my gradients have a fixed width. If I had a liquid layout it would mess up these. I may change the page background colour to "frame" the page a bit, what do you think about that?

When you click on create an account, in the right column the review and bestsellers boxes are with the default header color  

The_Bear

Hi The_Bear,

Thanks for that! I thought I'd changed all the main pages! Thanks for looking.

Very nice! But I would change 1 thing.  

1 When I first looked at the page, my eyes quickly turned to the image full of CCs you accept. This is good to get peoples attention, but the image is a bit big for my taste. Your site is sleek and compact, but the image is bulky and colourful. Maybe throw some grey in it like the pic attached to make it blend in, and so its not so vibrant? Just a thought.  

Hi gian2oo1,

Thanks for looking! I totally agree with you here. I didn't want them on the main page at all - on the checkout would have been nice - but my CC provider stipulate that they must be displayed prominently. Thanks for dimming it down a bit it looks better. I just did a similar thing but reduced opacity in Photoshop and this is easier on the eye! I also experimented and took all the colour out and then recoloured with the box colour. I don't know if this is allowed by it goes with the theme better.

cards_pink.gif

Thanks for the suggestions!

Very pretty ...  

I do agree the credit cards do overpower the screen a tad.  

But all in all I really like it.  

Like it enough to ask may I perhaps have your button set and login page?  

Good luck on the site!

Hi Ajeh,

Thanks for looking - I have toned down the CCs a bit let me know what you think. I'm glad you give it the thumbs up!

The login page wasn't changed a great deal just merged a couple of php files together. I can send you the modified one - no problem!

Better return to adding products - takes ages doesn't it?!! ( I have easypopulate but my descriptions are pretty long!)

Thanks

Stephen

I like it, looks sweet.

I agree about the CC images too, and I use WP also, but you dont need all those images to prove your payment options anymore.

I have just setup a new site and sent it in for authorsation, it has no CC images at all, and WP have cleared it to go live.

I do have all the images on my main site, becos it is helpful to customers, but dont be afraid of making them small and dumping them on the bottom of your site or something, WP arnt that bothered about that bit.

And if they do get a bee in their bonnet about it, they will email you quick enough.

Overall nice looking site, I am sure you will get business quickly.

CC.

P.S. - Cant help thinking I have seen those buy buttons before tho... :wink:

Last time I saw them they were grey and yellow.

CC.

One thing I think you should do is standardise a image size.

This will tidy up your homepage and will keep your buy buttons inline.

At the moment when you have smaller images and larger images next to each other the buy buttons are all over the place.

Go with an image that is maybe 100x100 or something.

CC.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the comments!

Yeah I confess - those fabulous buttons were seen elsewhere. I didn't totally copy them as I made them from scratch but there was a whole lot of artistic direction from the other buttons!!

Thats cool that WP are pretty easy going with the CC images - I thought that if I put the site up for activation they would shut me down without the proper images displayed. Therefore I'm hoping to put through the activation request next week. Do you think it looks ready enough to go live? I know there are a few things that need ironing out and I need to design a skin consultation add-on but the basics are there for a functioning site.

Yeah I realised my images were all over the place! I was going to change the front page layout so that the buy now buttons are within separate table cells. Standardising the images would probably be easier though!!

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

The site looks great. How did you add those buy now buttons to the featured products section on the main page?

Thanks,

Brandon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great critique on this forum. Some great ideas that I have tried to incorporate most of them.

Just to let you know I am now setting it live so don't try the order unless you want something! ;)

mrdon: The buy it now was done with a contribution. Pretty simple mod to add as well.

Hi Steve

Shop looks great. One thing I want to ask you, How you added the nice discription for each of your product page. Is their a contribution for the same.

Hi jaysin,

I added another field in the products_description table for additional description and then just modified the php to create the table with headings. Not too bad to do really. Hardest part was getting the EasyPopulate add-on working nicely with it but with a big of find and replace and it was set :)

If you need any help with your code give me a shout.

Your Search/Advanced Search page still has default blue colours that need to be matched to the rest of your site.

Also your Product Listing page has the alternating light blue and white colours, which means that half of your nice "floating" images now have a white box around them.

I know it may only be temporary but the "No Pic!" image is awful. Use a smaller font, make it much less obvious - you don't want to scream out the fact that there is no image.

I see there is a Search box in the header but also a Search link with the other links right above it (home / search / sign in etc) this looks a little confusing to me.

Besides all that - a very nice site indeed. Very soothing colours - well matched to the type of site. Your sister must be very happy! :)

Jen

I haven't lost my mind - I have it backed up on disk somewhere.

Your Search/Advanced Search page still has default blue colours that need to be matched to the rest of your site.

Also your Product Listing page has the alternating light blue and white colours, which means that half of your nice "floating" images now have a white box around them.

I know it may only be temporary but the "No Pic!" image is awful. Use a smaller font, make it much less obvious - you don't want to scream out the fact that there is no image.

I see there is a Search box in the header but also a Search link with the other links right above it (home / search / sign in etc) this looks a little confusing to me.

Besides all that - a very nice site indeed. Very soothing colours - well matched to the type of site. Your sister must be very happy! :)

Jen

Hi Jen,

Fantastic points!

The no pic image has been duly modified - I totally agree! It was just one of those "temp things" whilst I got a picture of the product.. and then kind of stayed there whilst other things took precedance!

I realised that the blue and white alternating was there on the categories but I don't really mind it. I may change it to a light shade of grey though. With regards to the floating images. Do you think they would look better with some shadow applied to bring them back to earth?!

The search is a bit of a problem because the search in the top bar goes to the advanced search and the other one is the quick search. I do think it looks a bit awkward there but can't think where else to put it! I don't want it in the left bar and if its near the bottom people won't find it.

My sister better be pleased - its taken a good deal longer than I anticipated!! Just need some orders now!

Thanks for your comments,

Stephen

With regards to the floating images. Do you think they would look better with some shadow applied to bring them back to earth?!

By floating images I meant that you have all your products on a white background so that it doesn't look like there is a box around them - it looks great. But when they show up on the blue alternating things, you lose that effect which I think is a real shame. For that reason I think it would look much better if you had both odd and even lines in white. There is no real reason to alternate the colours, they are distinct from each other already.

The search is a bit of a problem because the search in the top bar goes to the advanced search and the other one is the quick search.

But why on earth do you need them both? Just keep the advanced search and move it to the top if that's where you would rather it was. Having two search boxes is one too many.

My sister better be pleased - its taken a good deal longer than I anticipated!! Just need some orders now!

Tell me about it... :)

Jen

I haven't lost my mind - I have it backed up on disk somewhere.

Wow, I really like you site!

I have been viewing allot of OSCommerce based sites for inspiration but yours definitely tops my A-LIST!

I really like the layout and love the design work on the buttons, a really pro look to the site - by the way did you do the buttons yourself, I could do with a pro layout for my site but I lack the artistic skills...

Keep up the good work,

Taz

Techinical Director a.k.a 'The Guru'

dappa mobiles ltd

www.dappamobiles.com

Hi thanks for the positive comments!

I confess the buttons aren't my own original work. I created them in Photoshop myself but the design idea was from another site. Must find out which and give them credit!

I will be employing some of the changes suggested here but can't right now as I have a raft of exams this week! I also need to modify easypopulate so that I can download my catalog in a certain format for a price comparison site as I am fortunate enough to be getting a listing on there which should bring me a load more traffic! Also need to sort out my google listing - not sure whats up with Google this month. Things are all changing and try as I might I cannot get googlebot to spider my site (I have oscID killer running) and it just lists the stock install from a few months ago in its cache.

Oh well plenty to keep me busy - thanks for the kind words!

Archived