• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need Help ASAP on a project...

ursulab2

Ok guys... Here is what I have and I need help ASAP with it. I have many many domain names going up. Most are using OScommerce as the shopping cart. What I need is to be able to set it up so that when someone logs in on one of my sites they are automatically logged in on all of my sites. Does ANYONE have any clues as to how I can do this?

A contribution of any kind would be MOST appreciated. I would even be MORE than willing to donate for time.

Thanks,

Ursula Bell :shock:

Installed Modules:

Paypal IPN, Site Map, Header Tags Controller, Advance Search, Login box, Purchase without Account, Support Ticket, OSC Affiliate, Testimonials, Guestbook , Printable Catalog, Shall I keep going?

I LOVE OS!

Even with a common database they wouldn't be logged in, but would have an account already created.

I don't thinkyou can keep a login across domains. Aren't cookies set by domain?

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

Cookies are domain specific.

If you could share the database ... log the person out of one site and back into the other ... you can share the cart.

I have done this accidentally in the Multiple Stores site I am trying to write.

The cart will be there for me when I switch over.

But, that is not the point of the Multiple Stores ... thought it is a very interesting feature that I am looking into taking advantage of.

I am not quite sure yet how to flip the person to the next domain and auto log them in so the cart follows them as that is not exactly what I had in mind ...

As to keeping them logged in period, that might be accomplished by a link from one store to the other that passes them through the login process based on the page that is loaded via the link.

But I would really have to mess around with that a bit and you have to decide what to do about the cart contents ... do they travel with or without the customer?

I don't think sharing the cart across stores is a viable proposition because the second store wouldn't know what to do with the first store's cart contents. I assume each store will have its own payment processing?

The AutoLogon contribution would resolve the return visit to any previously visited store, so that the only real problem is the initial customer registration at all stores on first visit to any one of the stores in the group.

Does each individual store know about all other stores in the group?

Or is there an 'Entrance Hallway' type of site that lists all participating stores, that could handle initial registration at all the stores (if not already registered)?

If you can go directly from store to store, the link could send the equivalent of the cookie information performing the same role in the receiving store as the AutoLogon contribution does. This obviously means an expansion of the AutoLogon functionality, and still leaves the problem of initial customer registration.

Whatever route you take, you need a new function within each store that will handle a remote request for customer registration, without displaying a page, possibly sending the cookie back to the users machine. Is that possible?

I will ponder more.

Regards, Wizzud

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Archived