• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

4 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

you will need to make all your category's and subcategory's something other than zero or they will show up on the front page.

I don't understand what you mean by the above. If the ID list is left empty, the categories show as before this last change. If a list of ID's is entered, then only those categories are shown. Are you seeing something different?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

50 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

😊 @Stephan Gebbers  Try copying into notepad++ first as that will show any issues, then copy from notepad++ into file. Its worked fine for me, just the issue of it not showing just top level cats to sort out.

Or use the file attached its been edited and worked on my test site. Remember you must uninstall the addon first not just turn it off.

cm_i_category_images.php

i am already using notepad++ to edit the shop files, saving as UT8 (without BOM). So in theory such problems should not appear. very strange!

12 minutes ago, Jack_mcs said:

I don't understand what you mean by the above. If the ID list is left empty, the categories show as before this last change. If a list of ID's is entered, then only those categories are shown. Are you seeing something different?

Hi Jack, Yes if you see my earlier post you will see that sub cats are appearing on the first page. At first i thought it was because all cats were zero but even when I changed to none zero they keep appearing. I was unable to fix this so uninstalled the changes.

image.thumb.png.25cd5d36c2c31a166935d7cfb597a7e4.png

12 minutes ago, Stephan Gebbers said:

i am already using notepad++ to edit the shop files, saving as UT8 (without BOM). So in theory such problems should not appear. very strange!

Yeah very strange, I've not seen that before but as above @radhavallabh had the same problem with poor copy and paste.

1 hour ago, Jack_mcs said:

The addition works great as posted I did not need any extra code for it. Only copy paste was the issue. :)

9 minutes ago, radhavallabh said:

The addition works great as posted I did not need any extra code for it. Only copy paste was the issue. :)

Very strange that it works on some sites but not on others. @radhavallabh do you have subcategories? as my test site is not working with the code edits as you will see in above pic, printers and graphics cards are both subcategory's under hardware but they keep showing on front page. 

Did another uninstall and reinstall after repairing db just to be sure no bugs in db, deleted category and re made to be safe. Still not working. Same issue plus a new error I did not spot first time.

image.thumb.png.a1244aaaee3c1f8a139e5a4ef0f90449.png

The above error has nothing to do with Jacks edits, it exists in original file,  selection of "categories_htc_description" as sort causes this error.

Selecting "categories_description" works fine,

15 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

Very strange that it works on some sites but not on others. @radhavallabh do you have subcategories? as my test site is not working with the code edits as you will see in above pic, printers and graphics cards are both subcategory's under hardware but they keep showing on front page. 

Yes I do have subcategories.. The code I use now as given by @Jack_mcs and fill the category ids that need to be displayed works..

21 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

selection of "categories_htc_description" as sort causes this error.

That is a field in my Header Tags SEO addon so if that is not installed, using that setting will cause the failure. Just wanted to clarify this.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 9:56 PM, Jack_mcs said:

I am not familiar with the addon you mention but my Category Images addon may already do that.

@Jack_mcshi,

Tried few different addons to get the categories on index with no luck, till see the post here with your advise. It is working great! Thank you!

Related to the categories, it is only showing the main categories, no sub-categories, sub-sub-categories, (+5 layer subcategories under main categories.) is there any related addon working together with this to show the sub-categories?

None that I know of. I'm not sure how this one could be changed to show the sub-categories. Maybe small images under the parent category? Or a link that says "see related categories"? Making the first change might cause a significant slowdown of the loading speed of the home page but adding a link probably wouldn't. Any other thoughts on how to do it?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived