• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help Required On Information Boxes

FXBO

Hi Members,

I have to say I used the old version of OSCommerce V.2.2.Rca, or something like that name and yes it was old, not that secure, but really easy to make changes. Now I am using osC 2.3.4BS Edge, I am having problems.

Anyway, can someone please tell me how to write in the "Information" in say "Shipping & Returns", and "T&C" etc? Plus I need to add text on the index.php / home page, but not working for some reason?

Finally I need to make the whole website more secure, so what are the standard changes to do this as it seems a lot has changed since I used the old version.

Many thanks for any assistance and all the best to you all.

Stephen Smith.

@FXBO

/includes/languages/english/conditions.php

/includes/languages/english/shipping.php

/includes/languages/english/modules/content/index/cm_i_text_main..php

Regarding security, are you running a SSL certificate on your whole site?

Malcolm

PS: Did you get your database converted?

The best thing to do to figure out the text location is to keep a set of the shops files on your computer and use its search function to locate the text you want to change. You should have the files there regardless for backup purposes.

There are many ways to add text to the home page but for a stock shop, install and edit the Main Text module.

For securing the site,

- Rename your admin.

- Add a popup login to the admin.

- Apply ssl to the whole site. This isn't strictly speaking considered a security change but if it is not used and you use a login page that doesn't use it, it will be.

- Install Site Monitor. This won't prevent hacking but will let you know if it happens.

- Install View Counter and enable the trap option.

- Install the osc sec addon, if it still works.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@Artcolnc, @Jack_mcs

Many thanks for your assistance, and all has been checked and will work on that, tomorrow, urgent work to sort out first. Malcolm, the website is Single Secure Layer SSL Protected and yes I did get the database fix, so thanks for asking.

One thing I can sort out all the text, but they want some text and images under the products on the main page, so which file do I use as I tested this one: /includes/languages/english/modules/content/index/cm_i_text_main..php        All works fine, but the text is above the products, which I need also, but as stated need text under the products also?

@Jack_mcs Many thanks again to you, and about the security, will do all you advised tomorrow and I have the Pop-Up (Double) login already. The whole website is SSL and will add those modules also. Actually there was old ones of them, as I remember I had the old admin, very tight indeed.

Many thanks to you both and any advise on the matter above would be great.

Stephen Smith.

@FXBO

8 minutes ago, FXBO said:

One thing I can sort out all the text, but they want some text and images under the products on the main page, so which file do I use as I tested this one: /includes/languages/english/modules/content/index/cm_i_text_main..php        All works fine, but the text is above the products, which I need also, but as stated need text under the products also?

Which 'products' on the main page do you want text under? Are you referring to the group of products displayed under the heading "New Products For <Current Month>"? If so, what 'text' will you want? Something that is already included in that product's description? Or, something unique to the main page?

M

@Artcolnc

Yes I need to place some text under what you stated Malcolm "New Products For <Current Month>"   I need to add some text that will show on the main index.php page please.

Many thanks and all the best.

Stephen Smith.

@FXBO

Look at /includes/modules/content/index/cm_i_new_products.php, along with the corresponding template file and language file. By default, this module does not display any text associated with the product displayed. You could hack this module, although it would be better to copy it, rename the copy (to something like new_products_with_text) , and hack the copy (leaving the core files intact). You'd have to include the product description in the database query, and include that description (or a portion of it) in the template to display. Then in Admin, just disable the stock New Products module, then install and enable your new module.

If you want some text that is different than what's in the product description, consider how and where you intend to manage that text. The products displayed under 'New Products' change, not only when you add new products, but are also selected at random when the screen refreshes.

As always, you can post a RFQ in the Commercial Support area of the forum.

Malcolm

@Artcolnc,

Hi Malcolm, 

Not being rude, but you have to do all of that to just add text right under "New Products For <Current Month>"  and before / just above the "footer"? Seems a lot, and as stated on the old version was easy, nothing easy about "Edge" it seems.

If it has to be the way you say, then I will need help again as if you add text to this: /includes/languages/english/modules/content/index/cm_i_text_main..php  

which I need also, but adding too much pushes this: "New Products For <Current Month>" down too far and looks stupid. That is why I am just double checking what you say, as I do not think my friends will pay again, they make little money as it is already.

Thanks Malcolm and others that have assisted me.

Stephen Smith.

@FXBO

I apologize. I mis-understood. I thought you wanted to add some individual text to EACH PRODUCT displayed under the "New Products" section.

Try this ... in Admin -> Modules -> Content ... Find the entry for Main Text, and note the sort order number. Also, find the entry for New Products, and note that sort order number. Now, change the sort order number for Main Text to a number LARGER than the sort order number for New Products.

Malcolm

@Artcolnc,

Hi Malcolm, 

I see where you are coming from, but that will only make the text above the products come down to the footer, I need text above and below the "New Products For <Current Month>" 

Thanks a lot for your help thus far.

Stephen Smith.

@FXBO

Ok, try this ...

Copy the Main Text module files (including the template and language file). Call it something like "Main Text Below". Add the text you want below your New Products here. Set the Sort Order for the 'stock' Main Text' to a number smaller than New Products, and the sort order for the Main Text Below to a number larger than the New Products.

This is why things are modular. Add, subtract, and arrange the modules the way you want them.

HTH

Malcolm

@Artcolnc,

Thanks a lot Malcolm, I know exactly what you mean now, but will do this in a few days time, the rest is done and works fine. I am really pleased with all you have done and others.

Take care Malcolm and all the best.

Stephen Smith.

Archived