• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Telemarketer & Robo calls in the world

John W

With all the privacy laws going into effect and disscussions, I started wondering.   Does the whole world have a problem with telemarketer & robo calls, or is that just a PIA in the US?  The most annoying one to me, is all the various numbers spoofed pretending to be Google Business Listing.   Lot of calls where no one is there that call often sometimes.  Seem to come in waves too.  So, is this everywhere?

I'm not really a dog.

No it’s not just you! I have seen a marked increase over the last few weeks. Both call’s mainly mobile and spam emails. They don't appear to be bothered about any new privacy laws!

I think it’s just cyclical, they do it while they can then there a crack down and it slows bu they just pop up a little later somewhere else. The laws are never going to stop the determined spammers or cold callers.

Perhaps if the authority's went after the people paying the spammers they might have more luck. After all a service with no customers soon goes away.

It's the same thing in France.
As the French state charges taxes on these calls, it is not ready to stop.
In an attempt to quell discontent, new laws are being created almost every year, but these are true colanders that still allow aggressive telemarketing call companies to continue ... especially when these companies are abroad, as in Morocco for example.
The only solution is to have a phone that filters calls. But this does not remove all the unwanted calls.

with OsC 2.2 since 2006 ...

I have a landline for my business that's been around since 2002.  At first, I realized that my old credit card processor had sold my info.  The US has a do not call list, which doesn't apply to businesses, but you can still get listed on.  However, that doesn't work because most don't care and there's not enforcement.  There is a Forida company that was heavily fined a couple months ago, and they were doing a couple billion calls a month.  Local number spoofing is rampant and it's hitting some people's cell phones pretty hard.

I've been looking into getting a call blocker, but I have the ability to block 12 numbers though my phone service.  I've been rotating them through, as some only call for a period of time then go away. 

I'm not really a dog.

I have a landline (US) and my phone rings nonstop all day long. I simply stopped answering it, as almost 99% of the calls are marketing. If you start to leave a message and I happen to be there, and I recognize you and want to talk to you, I'll pick up. That's what it's come to these days.

My landline is for my business, so I have to answer it, but some days are annoying.  I have found on some of them that pressing 2 or 9 to be added to do not call list does work.  Not perfect but it helps. 

Most of my legimate calls will have the state calling if it's a cell phone.  I don't do local business, so most from my area code are BS, especially if they have my local exchange. 

I'm not really a dog.

I get boat loads of those calls.  I usually answer them so I can have a bit of fun with whoever is on the other end but it can be annoying.  Google Maps Marketing (so called) are responsible for most of the calls I receive. 

I often wonder why someone hasn't taken the Google approach to these calls....add a feature where you can mark them as spam and after getting a required number of votes...they can't make calls any more.  I use Net talk on one of my phones and they actually let you know if a call is considered spam or not...if so, they hang up on it but unfortunately your phone still rings once of twice.  I assume we'll see more of this sort of thing in the future.

Dan

Archived