• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Urgent Help Required Please

FXBO

Dear OSCommerce Forum Members,

I know some of you will hate me asking this, but I am a website designer, but not a developer and I am hosting a friends website and have done what Jack_mcs stated here:

My problem is, their database is not working and all I have right now is the basic shop scripts DB? I just do not know how to get the DB of theirs to be able to get read, so that their website shows all their products, customers etc.

By the way I contacted both companies on your "Partners" page and neither got back to me, not good?

Many thanks for any advice given and all the best to you all.

Stephen Smith.

@FXBO

First, I *assume* that you made a full backup of the original site, both all of the files, and the database (which is separate from the files)?

Second, I *assume* that you are working with *copies* of the original site, and not the actual files/database.

That said, what was the original version of osCommerce? To what version are you trying to upgrade? What version of PHP was the original site running? What version of PHP are you running on the 'new' site? Are you doing this on a local in-house server, or a live hosted server?

M

@Artcolnc

Many thanks for a speedy reply. Yes I did make full backups, one of the main website and one for the DB. I cannot use the main backup, and anyway it is in "File Manager" as the new website is in a folder called "upgrade".

The old version was the osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC2a and the new is what was suggested in that link above. Called "Edge" I am sure?

The old version was running on PHP 5.2.9 and now is running on PHP 7.0. I am using a "live hosted server".

Any help would me great, and thanks @Artcolnc

Stephen Smith.

@Artcolnc

No the old website is not live, only the updated version here: https://www.jdmodels.co.uk/upgrade/index.php

I just cannot get the backup DB to work on this upgrade, when I add it, knocks the whole website out? I am using a VPS so I have access to any error log files. Actually I have had a quick look and I knew where the old error files where, but where are they in "Edge"? I am sure the old DB will not work on the newer version, and either I need a developer, who I cannot get any answers back from, meaning those 2 companies on the "Partner" page, so may as well take them off, or would have to add manually, but I do not want to go down that road for sure.

Many thanks for any advice given.

Stephen Smith.

4 hours ago, FXBO said:

@Artcolnc

Many thanks for a speedy reply. Yes I did make full backups, one of the main website and one for the DB. I cannot use the main backup, and anyway it is in "File Manager" as the new website is in a folder called "upgrade".

The old version was the osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC2a and the new is what was suggested in that link above. Called "Edge" I am sure?

The old version was running on PHP 5.2.9 and now is running on PHP 7.0. I am using a "live hosted server".

Any help would me great, and thanks @Artcolnc

Stephen Smith.

If you have the old database safe with you-

First download the 2.3.4 package from the oscommerce official site and run the sql commands given using phpmyadmin to upgrade your current 2.2 database to 2.3.4 version.

Then to upgrade the database to edge version Run the commands given on below link using phpmyadmin-

https://pastebin.com/raw/Kp7X5rhL

This shall get your database working for the current edge version fluently.

Hope this helps!!

Regds/

radhavallabh

@radhavallabh

I have done what you stated and now I have this error message, plus Edge is a better script or will that be updated?

SQL query:

/* categories */
delete from configuration where configuration_key = 'SHOW_COUNTS'

MySQL said:

#1046 - No database selected

Any assistance would be great. Plus of course a DB was selected to run what you gave me?

Stephen Smith.

EDGE is the latest updated version hence currently it is the most updated script...

The error statement states that the main database was not selected while executing the query.

So kindly try running the sql statement on the main table again after refreshing the phpmyadmin. I am sure that should resolve the issue.

delete from configuration where configuration_key = 'SHOW_COUNTS'

@radhavallabh

I am very sorry, but now you have lost me, as you stated to use the 2.3.4 package and I did, but I still have "Edge" in a "upgrade" folder but the version you told me to use is in public_html of course.

I did use the main DB, but just so I know I am sure I got it correct, can you go step by step what to do in phpmyadmin, as I added that script you showed me in SQL?

Many thanks for any assistance given.

Stephen Smith.

How did you create the DB backup of the osC 2.2MS2 store? It should be an .sql backup, with SQL commands to clear out old stuff and create new tables and fill them. Is that what you're working with? How is it failing to set up the new database? I presume you didn't do something silly like forget to create the DB and its user/password. Whether you start with an .sql file, or load in a live DB of the old store, the first step is to upgrade the DB schema (layout) to the newest (Edge) version, either by editing the .sql file, or (with care) either manually adjusting tables through phpMyAdmin or by running SQL update scripts that come with osC update packages (there may be an add-on that takes you all the way from MS2 up to 2.3.4). Any way you do it, you need to have some idea of what you're doing with regards to MySQL databases.

I am hosting a friends website

That makes me nervous. I hope you are on a commercial hosting service who knows what they are doing, and not trying to run a store on your own PC. Hackers know far more than you ever will about the ins and outs of security, and will eat you alive if you host it yourself!

By the way, Edge is a complete replacement of all earlier osC versions. There is no upgrade path from an official version. You install Edge and bring over your old data (upgrading the database in the process).

Dear Members,

Many thanks for all your advise so far, but sadly I am getting nowhere fast. I never stated I was good with DB's. Now saying that I would like to address what MrPhil has written.

First I do have a .sql back up and yes I created a database and username first before adding "Edge" in an "upgrade" folder. Naturally when I used "Edge" of course I wrote the same DB details, so all is fine on that part.

I have to be honest I really could do with someone actually fixing this issue, but I am not 100% sure you can request paid assistance? You say about editing a .sql, but I am not that good, but if there is a update you know of which can do this, could you point me in the right direction. Saying that I would still rather someone do this for me now.

Naturally I have had a good look at this new script, and the older versions where far easier to work with, this new "Edge", I am fairly sure I cannot even add boxes, as easy as I did in the past.

MrPhil, no need to be nervous, as I am hosting with eUKHost and have my own VPS Linux server with them.

I have tried what @radhavallabh said in her post, but did not work.

Many thanks for your time and any advice given is always great.

Stephen Smith.

@FXBO

As I mentioned before, you can post a RFQ (Request For Quotation) in the Commercial Support area of this forum.

As for "adding boxes", it is actually much easier in Edge. As long as the new modules conform to the current coding style, all you do is upload the module to your server, then go into Admin and turn them on. No more editing code.

M

12 hours ago, FXBO said:

@radhavallabh

I am very sorry, but now you have lost me, as you stated to use the 2.3.4 package and I did, but I still have "Edge" in a "upgrade" folder but the version you told me to use is in public_html of course.

I did use the main DB, but just so I know I am sure I got it correct, can you go step by step what to do in phpmyadmin, as I added that script you showed me in SQL?

Many thanks for any assistance given.

Stephen Smith.

The flow of upgrading the db is this-

2.2 db to 2.3.4 db to Edge db

Hence I asked you to upgrade db to 2.3.4 first then upgrade that db to edge.

@Artcolnc

I will do as you stated if required, but I do know some developers in India.

@radhavallabh

Just to clarify are you saying I have to upgrade to 2.3.4. and then use the upgrade to "Edge" for this to work?

Many thanks to you all for your assistance and all the best.

Stephen Smith.

9 hours ago, FXBO said:

@radhavallabh

Just to clarify are you saying I have to upgrade to 2.3.4. and then use the upgrade to "Edge" for this to work?

Many thanks to you all for your assistance and all the best.

Stephen Smith.

YES!! THAT IS HOW IT WILL GET WORKING!

I USED THE SAME METHOD!

REGDS./

RADHAVALLABH

To clarify, 2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen is a complete new install of the product -- there is no upgrade from earlier versions. The only upgrading you're being asked to do is to transform your database from the old osC version to one compatible with the new Edge version. This is most easily done by upgrading all the way to osC 2.3.4 (which at each step will upgrade the database) and then the final official-2.3.4-to-Edge database upgrade. This is not the only way to do it, but perhaps is the easiest, especially if you have no idea what you're doing.

@MrPhil @radhavallabh,

I build websites from scratch and I only offered to help my friends with updating the look, of their old website. Now I will have to inform them, we can add manually, but they will have to do that, but again, why no one wants work is beyond me? Just for the record, when I build my own, they do not need a DB, that is why I was trying to get help from OSCommerce Forum. As they need a e-commerce script, but I think I may use one of the other popular brands and start over, but need to speak to the owners first.

Also when you write in BOLD, that is shouting in my view @radhavallabh. I am not stupid, just wanted help?

Anyway many thanks for your assistance.

Stephen Smith.

Some people are getting irritated with you because they keep asking you to post in the Commercial Support requests area, yet you keep opening up new threads on this same matter all over the place. Just explaining...

I've tried to clean up as best I can.  

• I've removed one similar thread
  • I've removed a link to your live phpmyadmin (please be super careful about what you post)
  • I've attempted to remove the Commercial Solicitation which is banned in the open forum per the present forum rules

On 7/16/2018 at 3:44 AM, FXBO said:

@MrPhil @radhavallabh,

I build websites from scratch and I only offered to help my friends with updating the look, of their old website. Now I will have to inform them, we can add manually, but they will have to do that, but again, why no one wants work is beyond me? Just for the record, when I build my own, they do not need a DB, that is why I was trying to get help from OSCommerce Forum. As they need a e-commerce script, but I think I may use one of the other popular brands and start over, but need to speak to the owners first.

Also when you write in BOLD, that is shouting in my view @radhavallabh. I am not stupid, just wanted help?

Anyway many thanks for your assistance.

Stephen Smith.

:ohmy:I never meant it that way..Nor was I shouting.

I was working on a Writing manual..so my CAPSLOCK was just ON that moment when I replied to you.

I and other members have always have tried to help as much as we could..

Regds./

radhavallabh

9 hours ago, radhavallabh said:

I was working on a Writing manual..so my CAPSLOCK was just ON that moment when I replied to you.

Unacceptable excuse. If you write an entire post without noticing that your CAPSLOCK is on, you deserve to be chewed out for shouting. ALL CAPS is the universal standard for SHOUTING. If your native language is one without upper and lower case letters, I can excuse writing in all caps as a matter of ignorance, but if you're reasonably fluent in English (or any other Western language), there's no excuse. Everyone should at least do a quick once-over of their post, to check spelling and grammar, or CAPSLOCK on, or any other major problem.

@MrPhil@burt

Dear Sirs,

I am sorry that I caused this Forum a few problems and I am glad you have put me straight. Thanks burt for clearing up my mess and I was not intentional of getting members of this Forum irritated and if I did, I am sorry.

Saying that I am old school and agree with MrPhil's explanation of a certain post / reply back to me about shouting.

Unacceptable excuse. If you write an entire post without noticing that your CAPSLOCK is on, you deserve to be chewed out for shouting. ALL CAPS is the universal standard for SHOUTING. If your native language is one without upper and lower case letters, I can excuse writing in all caps as a matter of ignorance, but if you're reasonably fluent in English (or any other Western language), there's no excuse. Everyone should at least do a quick once-over of their post, to check spelling and grammar, or CAPSLOCK on, or any other major problem.

Again many thanks for all assistance given and all the best to you all.

Stephen Smith.

Archived