• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How can I remove "New Products For <MONTH> from Index Page?

Twocanes

Thanks Hotclutch,

I made the const MODULE_CONTENT_NEW_PRODUCTS_ HEADING string ' ' and the text disappeared.

Is this kind of information documented anywhere?  I mean I looked, but all forum messages 

related to this issue are years old and point to the oscommerce-2.4.x version.  I'd love to find

these solutions without bugging you guys.

-Kevin

@Twocanes

What @Hotclutch told you is where to change the heading text for the New Products module  (which is what you asked for). However, if you want to remove the New Products module, go to:

Admin -> Modules -> Content. Click on the New Products module. Click on Edit (top right). Then, set Enable New Products Module to False.

M

ArtcoInc  says "Admin -> Modules -> Content. Click on the New Products module. Click on Edit (top right). Then, set Enable New Products Module to False. "

But there is no New Products module showing when I go to The Modules-Content option. I am running Online Merchant Version 2.3.4.1

9 hours ago, brittrix said:

But there is no New Products module showing when I go to The Modules-Content option. I am running Online Merchant Version 2.3.4.1

That's because you're running the official osC install, rather than the good one ("2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen"). See the link in my signature. The official osC release is several years old and is a piece of crap. It's not your fault -- it's the site owner's fault for not updating the official release. Since you're just starting out, remove your current install and instead use the BS version.

Not necessarily. You can of course copy over the pictures (into the same directory name). The database can be copied and then manually updated to the same schema (layout structure) in phpMyAdmin, to preserve your product information. If you have a lot of data already entered, that may be the easier method. If you have only a few items, it's your choice.

@brittrix

Unfortunately, it is not an in-place upgrade. You will have to create a separate directory and a new database, and do a clean install there. Once installed, you can copy the pictures from the first installation to the new one. You *may* be able to copy the database from the first installation to the new installation, but you will have to manually compare the database structure, and make any changes to have the original table match up with the current structure. As @MrPhil said, it's up to you to decide if you can make those database comparisons and changes, or if you would rather re-enter all of the product information into the new database.

HTH

M

PS: It's not that the 'official' version is "crap", it's just that it is very dated, and won't work well in today's world.

Sorry, but once again, what is the process for installing the new version. The current version was installed using my web provider's script, but their ONLY script was for the 2.3.4.1 version. And is there any documentation for the newer version, especially for the installation process.

Thanks.

@brittrix

1) You have hijacked this thread, and taken it off of the original topic. Not good form ...

2) As such, I'm not going into step-by-step instructions here for how to install osC on your host's server.

3) How much knowledge and experience do you have in moving files to and from your host's server, and working on the database on your host? If this sounds too much for you, you can post a RFQ in the Commercial area of this forum to hire someone to install this for you.

M

I apologize if I have offended or violated policy. I was merely continuing the thread which brought me here in the first place. That is how to remove the new products page.

MrPhil suggested I upgrade to a newer version, but I am unable to find information on the procedure to do so. Yes, it starts to take the subject off topic a bit, but I was merely following up on the direction I was led.

@santosh0425

14 hours ago, santosh0425 said:

Open index.php
Find: include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS);
And Remove.
This will remove "New Products For <MONTH>" from Index Page in your oscommerce site.

Actually, in the latest Community Edition version of osCommerce (aka: Edge, as the OP indicated), this is incorrect! The newer versions of osCommerce are much more modular, meaning you can turn feature on or off, all without any core code changes.

If you are still running any version of osCommerce prior to the Community Edition, you should seriously consider upgrading (link in my signature below). Not only is the Community Edition more modular, it is Responsive (which means it will adapt the page layout depending on the screen size of your customers, very important in today's world of mobile devices), and is PHP 7.x ready (all older versions of osC *will  crash* when your host upgrades their version of PHP).

M

Archived