• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Problems with Google ads and new Edge sites.

JcMagpie

I have noticed that Google ads is behaving very differently on my new Edge websites compared to the old 2.2 sites.

On the old sites the Google ads placed ads all over the site as and when it felt they were appropriate. This was fine and worked well.

On the new Edge sites I am finding it very different. When viewing the site on a PC I get either blank white spaces were the ads should be or just the odd one small ad.

The same site viewed on a phone and the Google ads work perfectly appearing as before as and were google thinks they are appropriate. In fact I would say even more ads than before.

So has anyone else noticed this? Why would the PC view now be not acceptable for ads yet the mobile one is fine?

Or is this just a case that Google is now preferring/ prioritising mobile devices!

• 1 month later...

This was due to the site not meeting all Googles requirements for displaying adds! As soon as I finished applying changes discussed in these two threads,

Speeding up your website load times

How good is stock OsCommerce?

the adds just started to appear 😊 , did not check after each change so not sure which was the key change but clearly removing some of the problems and optimizing the site had the required effect to let google start displaying the ad's. Was only one a test site but still good to know they now work.

Actually ad's can help a site with traffic, It all depends on how you set them up and use them. I'm quite happy to say that the revenue from ad's almost cancels out the cost of ad's placed with google. 😊 Not all my sites are selling site's. Some are pure catalogs or music and other stuff.

Even my test sites are happily displaying ad's 😂

Intrestingly Google is focusing on mobile devices more and more, I get far more adds on the mobile versions of the sites that PC, Typicaly only one ad is displayed on a PC but when viewing the same site on a phone many ad's appere mixed in with the content.

I'd put a link here to show you but it may not be approved of! but you can chek it out on the live site section under music.

When I fist started with Google Adwords back in January 2003, I tried the ads placed my site along with running ads.  My thought is like Steve's though, in that it would take people away.  Especially, since it was placing ads of my competitors.  So, I quickly pulled that since I'm only one site selling

Adwords and Google Shopping have changed a ton over time and my satisfaction has gone up and down with it.  Overall, it's worth it, but it takes work.  If you get into it, there are a lot of adjustments that can be made.  You can increase or decrease based on device, day and time, states or countries, etc...   It can easily run away with costs and you have to be careful.  Also, way more expensive than it used to be and continues to get worse.

I'm not really a dog.

Archived