• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

admin left column: little UI question

sakeskieslocks

Hi

What causes an admin collapsible box section  to stay expanded when we are navigating the links in it?

example: if you expand "Tools" and click on "action recorder", then "Permissions", the "Tools" section stays expanded

I recently added a module (grabbed from a 2.2 version) and when I select it, the "Tools" section collapses, despite my attempt to match the exact same pattern as the other ones...

Thank you for your input!

@sakeskieslocks

Ok, several things ...

1) The way the Admin menu works in v2.3.x is quite different than it was in v2.2.x. So, to use an add-on that was written for v2.2, you will have to make some changes to the add-on in order to make it work with v2.3.x.

2) If you are using the 'official' osCommerce v2.3.4.1, I hate to tell you, but it is very much out of date. It was just a hot-patch to v2.3.4, which is several years old!

The one lead developer of osCommerce has been absent for some time. During that time, the community has continued development of osCommerce. But, that one person is the only person that can designate what is an 'official' version.

In my signature below, there is a link to the Community Edition of osCommerce. If you spend any time here on the forum, you will see it referred to as  osC CE (for community Edition), osC BS (for Bootstrap), osC Edge, osC Final, osC Frozen, etc. They are all the same thing.

osC CE is built on the Bootstrap framework. This means that the program is Responsive (the display will adjust to the screen size of your customers ... important in this day of mobile devices!). It is also PHP 7.x ready (all older versions of osC will crash as hosts start upgrading their versions of PHP!). And, the code is much more modular. This means you can turn features on or off, or even add new features, all without touching the core code.

HTH

Malcolm

Hi Malcom

Thanks for all the info

I guess it's too late for me: I already installed and fully customized 2.3.4.1 with design and a ton of mods and I'm close to launching it.

It's actually an upgrade for a client, it's running on php7 without any issues so far.

I have 10+ years of experience on OsC 2.2 and I know it pretty much on my fingertips, developed many in-house modules for I was just curious about the collapsible left col. I noticed it's running on jQuery UI, I will dig more in the code, it's just a matter on how much time I'm willing to spend on it :-)

Will take a look at the CE, I'm sorry I missed it as it's not really advertised there.. I'm aware that Harald has not been around for quite some time (And neither have it, I lost track of the evolution of the cart many years ago since my own OsC became a totally new species)

Archived