• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Conformation e-mails sent only half of the time

René H4

Hi,

I have been running my second shop for 4 months now, it is working fine except for one thing:

Not all of the conformation messages arrive in the buyers mailbox. Customers confirm this after asking.

This happens around HALF the time. The issue started around a week ago.

It has happened to most Hotmail accounts before that, to these customers I have allways sent a reminder message directly.

Also I sent the conformation message to my own account: these ALL arrive well.

I am running 2.3.4.1 BS. 

What could be the issue here?

Cheers, Rene

I seem to vaguely recall some discussion about problems with mail not arriving at Hotmail accounts, but I can't seem to find it now. I think it had something to do with security measures and Hotmail not believing that the mails originated with the claimed sender (that spoofing was occurring). You might have to do something with setting up SPF records. That's all I can remember.

I assume that your title is in error -- that all mails are sent, but half don't arrive.

1 hour ago, MrPhil said:

I seem to vaguely recall some discussion about problems with mail not arriving at Hotmail accounts, but I can't seem to find it now. I think it had something to do with security measures and Hotmail not believing that the mails originated with the claimed sender (that spoofing was occurring). You might have to do something with setting up SPF records. That's all I can remember.

I assume that your title is in error -- that all mails are sent, but half don't arrive.

Thanks Mr Phil.

About the title: We assume they are sent but are they actually? As long as they are received by the customer we can assume they are sent. :-)

That's what actually worries me: are the messages really being sent? 

Is there a way to check that? I run PLESK on my site, is there a log?

The HOTMAIL issue is very old indeed, I have had problems with hotmail customers for years now.

I will check the advise you gave me about the SPF records.

Cheers, Rene

check your server maillog use a grep or egrep to filter the log

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Unless you're getting a warning from your host that you are exceeding some rate cap on sending emails (e.g., 400 emails/hour), I would assume that everything is being sent. Also be sure to look for "bounce" notices from receiving email systems -- no guarantee that a rejected email will be returned. A notice might tell you why the email didn't get to the customer.

I have checked but only my privider can check the message-logs.

I do not want to bother them at the moment yet, because I think

the messages ARE sent out but get stuck in filters on the receivers side.

I came up with one possible cause this morning: I have a Paypal.me link in the conformation message.

Could this possibly cause the message to get filtered out?

If the Paypal.me link is being considered spam or malicious content, it's possible that an email system might reject it. Can you reformat your confirmation mail text so that it's not a live link, but something to be cut and pasted into the browser? Offer an apology for doing it that way, but explain that some email systems don't like it as a live link. If that doesn't fix it, back out the change and try something else, such as an SPF record on your email system.

Archived