• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Symantec & Geotrust SSL forced replacement

John W

So DigiCert bought Symantec, and in September Chrome will disstrust Symantec root certificates.  When Chrome hits version 70, any site using a Symantec, Geotrust, and I guess others will be distrusted.  I received an email from Softlayer stating Symantec needed to be replaced and they would initialize this for all accounts.  Having Geotrust as my cert, I didn't think I was affected.  Well, Symantec called me yesterday to verify some things and let me know that I needed to replace free of charge.  So, be aware that you may be in this group and look into it.

Here's more info https://www.digicert.com/replace-your-symantec-ssl-tls-certificates/

I'm not really a dog.

Somehow, I didn't realize that Geotrust was affected.  It's just a little bit of a pain, because they do the verification again.  I've been using the True Business for quite a while now since it's not very expensive through SoftLayer. 

I'm not really a dog.

Understood, but it's free...and certbot do a nightly check and keeps the SSL updated. At work we have hundreds of publishing sites we saved a lot of money by using it and not to mention we don't have to do manual update via godaddy anymore...that was a plus with us. I think most cPanel offers it now too. Now, I can't say if it wouldn't reduce your conversion because of it, but I have had B2B sites going from the GeoTrust Green Bar to Let's Encrypt...no problems...

It's food for thought.  My cert is not due for a while as I do more than one year at a time.  Not sure how much people even look at this now.  Cpanel also does free SSL now.  I have a couple other sites on the sever that have the Cpanel SSL and it's kind of the same thing where they keep it updated. 

I'm not really a dog.

Archived