• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newb Installation

Netix

Hi all,  short time reader, first time poster here.

I have read this thread;

and I have downloaded os Commerce 2.3.4.1 to my pc.

Question; now what?  I have been thrown in the deep end to set up a store for both virtual and physical product, and already have commercial hosted space.  I take it I will need to download a number of other addons, as I have a list of features that would be preferred in the shop.

Happy to read and read and read to learn, I just really need help with all this, and would really appreciate all feedback.

Hello, welcome to the world of oscommerce! I would highly recommend to download and use the latest and most up to date version which is available at the following link: oscommerce Edge BS version

The standard version I believe you downloaded will not be very current I am afraid and you will be disappointed. 

Best Wishes in your journey!

@Netix

Please be aware that osCommerce is not a standalone application. It needs three components to run:

1) A web server. The most common one is Apache, although Microsoft's IIS can be used

2) A database server. The most common in mySQL

3) The PHP interpreter

On a Windows computer, you can install all three at once using a bundle called WAMP (which stand for Windows Apache mySQL PHP). On a Linux computer, the bundle is called LAMP (Linux Apache mySQL PHP). A quick Google search will find either of these.

Once you have WAMP (or LAMP) installed, configured, and working, then you can get ready to install osCommerce. You'll need to create an empty database in mySQL first. Then, you copy all of the osCommerce files into a sub-directory you have created. Lastly, open a browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc), point it to the sub-directory in which you copied the osCommerce files, and the installation will begin.

Good luck!

M

@Netix

The above message explains how to set up osCommerce on a local computer. You mentioned that you already have a commercial host. I will *assume* that your host already has PHP and mySQL (or some equivalent) installed (most hosts do). Most hosts also have a set of tools like cPanel that allow you access to your portion of their server. You'll also need a FTP program (such as FileZilla) to move files to and from the host's server.

Using cPanel, you'll create the database for osCommerce. Then using your FTP program, you'll copy all of the osCommerce files up to your host's server. Then, using a browser, you'll access the osCommerce files on the server and begin the installation.

If all of this sounds too complicated, there are a number of developers here that can be hired to do all of this for you. Just post a request in the commercial area of this forum:

https://www.oscommerce.com/forums/forum/79-commercial-support-inquiries/

HTH

Malcolm

Just to be clear, you NEVER want to run a real (exposed to the public) website on your own PC. Hackers know more about security issues than you ever will, and will eat you for lunch. A "local computer" *AMPP installation is fine for playing around, or trying something out before you have a real server available, or for experimenting with software levels that your host doesn't provide. Just don't run a real site on it.

Also, "cPanel" is just one brand of system control panels. Like "Band-Aid" for adhesive strip bandages, it's become something of a generic term. Don't be confused if your host talks about "LPCP" or "WHM" or "Plesk" or some other brand of control panel. They all do about the same thing: letting you control your server and site. Try to avoid using that name unless it's actually the one you have installed on your server.

Archived