• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Module Header Tags > Category SEO help please

Using 2.3.4.1 CE, PHP 7.0 and mySQL 5.6.38

There is a module pre-installed called Header Tags.  When clicked, there are things to install, one of which is called Category SEO.

So, I install that and start playing.

When I choose a parent category and enter text in the Edit the Category Description field, I type in something like this:

5b271a567295a_shot1.PNG.fae0a4066f5f8102a9084bd2a3f1b70d.PNG

Then I click Save.  But...I've changed my mind, I want to type in something different.  So I go back to it for editing and I see this:

5b271ac0679aa_shot2.PNG.0813c4be0fe73535a5e490132987888b.PNG

None of my text saved.  All I have is a number zero in the field.

On the public side of the website, I select the category from the categories box and I now see this, a bar below the title of the category that I assume should be holding the text I previously entered, but no...another zero onscreen:

5b271b4772f80_shot3.PNG.8501d689da6bacf233209d7a45645131.PNG

That is followed by a list of all the items in the category, which looks completely normal.

What am I doing wrong here?  Or am I just misunderstanding what this module is supposed to do?

- Andrea

My guess....I think there was a field added to the database to store that information so if you're not using the database that was supplied with the 2.3.4.1 CE install you'll need to add that field to the database if it doesn't exist already. 

Dan

Hi Dan,

I checked the database.  The field is there, see below:

database.PNG.553ff19bd14a6b05dc199a9c9a06ca45.PNG

categories_seo_description

It's empty.  ??? 

- Andrea

When I view the categories_seo_description field it's empty.

When I view the categories_description table, I see zeros:

5b273231c486d_seoagain.PNG.0b6efe4c2d7edd3fa0789f7586e72e45.PNG

I never assigned category descriptions to anything before.  Just a category name.

The two zeros you see are the two categories I've tried to insert text into the Edit the Categories Description field when editing a category.

- Andrea

I tried turning back the Categories SEO module to false and refresh everything, but the zeros persist in my database for the two categories I was trying to apply text to in the module.

- Andrea

Waving to Lambros! 

I expect it's lunchtime in your part of the world now.  It's very late and I need to sign off for the night if I expect to have a good day tomorrow.

Just wanted to mention...if it means anything...there are two description fields I can edit in the Category SEO module.

The one I was playing with and another below it called Edit the Category Meta Description for SEO.

I never touched the second one.  But when I put text in the first one... Edit the Category Description...and then go back to look I have zeros in BOTH fields.

And I can delete the zeros from those fields all night long and click Save, but try to edit again?  They're still there.  They won't go away.

Good night!  And Thank You for looking at it - I'll check back in tomorrow.

- Andrea

I see the problem: your category description and seo category description are both set to int(11) (=integer). It will only accept digits but not text. Try if it saves a description like 1234 instead of text.

There was something wrong at installation with this database table, it must be 'text' with the correct character set for your language (latin1_swedish_ci it seems)

6 hours ago, inra311 said:

I see the problem: your category description and seo category description are both set to int(11) (=integer). It will only accept digits but not text. Try if it saves a description like 1234 instead of text.

Good eyes and suggestion.

Dan

Way to go, Ingo!  All fixed!

Well, looks like I created another problem for myself...no surprise here!

I installed the new release on a different server, and then ran the SQL from my 2.2 database backup over it.

In the process, it wiped out other entries in the database that came with 2.3.4.1 CE

Using the SQL file that came with the new install, I checked the database and manually created anything that was missing.

And deleted a ton more...anyone remember Google Checkout?

Anyway, must have been going blind at some point as I did not assign 'text' to those entries as I should have.

Wonder what other mistake may be lurking now...guess I'll find out!

Thanks for all of your help!

- Andrea

Archived