Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pafranklin

Making an establisted osCommerce 2.2-MS2 site responsive

Hi,

I have a long standing osCommerce 2.2-MS2 site that over time was pretty heavily modified.

Is it possible somehow to make this site responsive so that its suitable for use on tablets and mobile devices?

I'm really not keen to have to migrate to a new platform but these days responsive is becoming important.

Many thanks for any input or suggestions.

Paul

You will never learn if you don't try. And boy am I trying....!

@pafranklin

The short answer is: yes, but ...

The long answer is:

The 'official' development of osC has been essentially abandoned, so the community stepped up to develop this Community Edition (sometimes called osC-BS (for Bootstrap, the framework it's built on), or Edge, or Final, or even Frozen. They are all the same thing). Since the one person in charge of osC hasn't been around for a while, the Community Edition has not been blessed with an 'official' designation. But, it is PHP 7.x current, is responsive, and is very modular (you can turn features on and off, or even add new features, all without core code changes).

But, it is not an in-place upgrade. You would have to install it into a separate sub-directory, migrate your database and images over, and do any additional customization you want. People are scared when they say that their site is "pretty heavily modified". Not knowing your site, a lot of modifications people had to make in the past are now built-in.

Older versions of osC (including v2.2-MS2) are going to crash when their hosts upgrade the version of PHP running on the servers. It will take a LOT of work to bring an old site up to run on current versions of PHP, and you'd have made your own FrankenStore branch of osC, which no one else would be able to support. Your time would be better spent moving to the new version.

There *was* an add-on that basically made a separate responsive shop, pulling off of the same database. But, you would now essentially have to maintain two sites, and you would still have the PHP issues. Lastly, the developer has abandoned the add-on, saying that is no longer needed since the Community Edition is responsive out-of-the-box.

A link to the Community Edition is in my signature below.

HTH

Malcolm

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here .

You're in for pain, no matter what you do, but over time the least pain will come from upgrading to CE. That part is fairly easy, but replicating additional features you had in your old store could be tough. If you've kept good track of both add-ons installed and custom coding changes, including why you made those changes (what features are added), you can see what's now built-in, what's available through add-ons (which may have to be updated to work with this version), and what needs to be done custom. "Heavily modified" means different things to different people, but if you've kept track of changes, it shouldn't be too bad. If you haven't kept track, prepare for a lot of work comparing old store with new.

A hint: even if your store is running fine at the moment, don't let yourself fall more than a year or so behind on releases. When you run a business, you depreciate equipment with the expectation that after some time that equipment will wear out and need to be replaced -- you should do the same with software. Your host upgrades MySQL and PHP, which causes old code to break. Don't wait to start thinking about scheduled updates until it's an emergency and your site is down.

Thank you both for your comments and information.Really helpful.

As much as I love my old osC site and CE is appealing, it actually sounds as though it could be time to move on to a new site and a new platform. 

Thank you again.

Paul

If you decide to move to another platform, I suggest you thoroughly investigate it. All of them, including this one, have both pros and cons. Oscommerce is still the most flexible and free package available. Converting a shop to the new version is not as much work as one might think with the new modular system. And once done, it out performs the other packages and its free, which is something not all of the others can say. You need to do what makes the most sense for your site. But I've seen more than once where shop owners have regretted switching.

Thanks @Jack_mcs, You are definitely giving wise advice.

My issue is that (a) I don't have the skills to migrate and upgrade myself, (b) it's a small business website so needs to remain operational and (c) I wouldn't know where to look for someone capable to carry out and support the upgrades.

I've been with osC MS2.2 since around 2005 and have always loved it so contemplating a move is traumatic to say the least!

Paul

One other thing I forgot to mention, especially for sites that have been around for a while like yours, is that you will most likely lose your database entries - customers, orders and products. There are companies that claim to be able to convert them but they are expensive (at least $300) and seldom get everything, in my experience.

There is a commercial section where you can post a job for quotes.

Thanks Jack and I've not seen a commercial area so will try to track it down.