• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Orders Not Passing through to Paypal

Jbm2345

Starting yesterday (6/3/18) when customers tried to place an order on my site, it allows them to add items to their cart and log in to their account (on my site).  However, when they go to checkout and get redirected to Paypal, they get an error message that says "Things don't appear to be working at the moment. Please try again later.

Back at the end of April, there was a similar issue.  I contacted Paypal and they said the issue was on their side, they were aware of the problem and it was fixed.  When I contacted them this time, I guess that error message is just a universal one they put up when problems happen, as they said that everything is good on their side and it is something on the Oscommerce side.  

I don't understand that, as I have not made any changes to my site other than updating orders in the past couple of days. 

My site uses Paypal Express.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the payment module and the API credentials, but I am still experiencing the issue.  

I am not overly familiar with trouble shooting in Oscommerce. I've been using it since 2012 and didn't do much in the way of plug ins and modifications.  Some minor ones when I first started, but nothing within the last 3-4 years.  So, I haven't had any major issues like this.  I am at a loss of how to find out why the orders are not going through.  I've been researching this all day and off and on the phone with Paypal for most of it, while they looked at various settings, but to no avail.

Any help/directions/insights anyone has would be greatly appreciated.  I included a screen shot of the error screen, but not much to go on there.  

61W72RaPN1L._SX425_.jpg

Any hints in the paypal log?   Some general information might help too...what version of osC are you using...are you using the PayPal app etc....see my signature file on how to ask for help.

Dan

Thanks for the quick reply and forgive my ignorance on some things.  I've never posted before, so if I am not following proper protocol, I apologize.  

Looks like it is V 2.3.3

No Paypal app, just the Paypal Express Button on my site.  

Where would I locate the Paypal log?  And what is a signature file?  

Has your host changed anything in the last few days, such as upgrading their PHP version? If so, old osC code like 2.3.3 (quite a few years old now) could easily start to break. Also pay attention to things like TLS version, etc., where PayPal may no longer be accepting older versions.

12 hours ago, jared_m_baker said:

And what is a signature file? 

It is the last few lines in any message that is posted.   The PayPal app may or may not work with older versions of osC but you might want to check that first....if it works with your version try installing it.  It may resolve the issue you are having.  The log file may well be a unique feature that was added to the app.

Dan

Dan / MrPhil,

Thanks for the responses.  I appreciate the help. 

I will admit, I should have hired a website developer from the get go.  But you know the age old story, starting a business, no capital, lots of time.  And it was recommended to me, so I figured I would give it a try. 

It took most of my ability and a ton of time getting it figured out initially to the point I could make it live.  My brain just doesn't work like yours. I don't see how you keep up with it all, when I am struggling with the basics.

My problem now is that I have so little time available to me.  I manufacture outdoor gear and sell on my site and this is the busiest time of year (regardless of how the site is working).  I was looking at the Hire a Developer section of the forum.  Is this something I could post as a job on there?  Or would I just get laughed at?  At this point, I just want it back up and running and then I can explore options of hiring an ongoing developer/website manager.

You won't get laughed at....post your request there.   I was going to suggest that since getting your site up and running again should be a priority.

Dan

Archived