• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Frozen is END OF LIFE.  

--

You should not use Frozen for a new shop, instead use Phoenix.

--

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/releases/tag/2341-Frozen

There will be no further Code Changes.

• Issues will be immediately closed.
    What is broken, stays broken.
  • PRs will be immediately closed.
    What is now there, is there.

Thank You to all Shopowners and Developers who have supported the Project in the last 4 and a bit years. 

Personal Thanks go out to all those Shopowners who were able to support my 28d bits and pieces for 3 of those 4 years - it is you guys who have made it possible for the hundreds of other Shopowners to continue using osCommerce.  A big Thank You and :thumbsup: from me, I will not leave you guys high and dry - you have my support always, we are a Band Of Brothers.

Onwards!

Thanks to you and everyone who worked on the code. I know we made it difuicult at times but you got there in the end. Just shout if I can be of any help with the next stage.

11 hours ago, gadlol said:

So I guess osCommerce is dead... Am I right?

What will be the next stage that @JcMagpie is saying?

Well the next stage is for the Gary and the team to decide, I am sure they already have ideas for what they want to do. I think its in two stages.

Stage 1) Lets help as many people as possible migrate from old osC which ever that is to the community addition. This will require 3 things.

1) Lets positively promote CE on the forum.

2) We need to make moving data fro old store to new much easier. How? Up for discussion.

3) Addons the one click will help but only if addon makers use it. Pick the top 50 addons and help them convert to one click.

Stage 2) For me as a user,

1) Clean start with no legacy issues.

2) Totally modular design

3) Core code is made closed (no messing with it using addons)

4) Review how we make it responsive (bootstrap or alternative?) bootstrap works but is not the only option.

5) Totally integrated modification function. As and when updates to the core are made by the team they are pushed out and available in admin. User simply presses install and core is updated. ( already available in opencart)

6) Totally integrated addon function. Same as 5 above but for addons. Both paid and free ( should consider the option of approved free addons and none approved) ( already available in opencart)

7) Store side editing function. A simple way to let you make changes to the store front with out needing to edit files.

8) Data import capability. The only way to make it successful is if we make it easy for people to move to it from another osC or other cart.

But that's just my thoughts others will have there own views.

17 hours ago, gadlol said:

So I guess osCommerce is dead... Am I right?

Unless HPDL suddenly becomes very active (or at least, turns over the keys to the kingdom to someone else, to release Edge as the official 2.3.5), I would have to say that yes, the official osCommerce product is unfortunately dead. And since that's the version that all hosts supply with their application installers, that's a major problem. The unofficial Community Edition ("Edge") is currently up to date and supported, but Gary has stated that this is the end of the line for it. Any quite severe problems might be patched, but otherwise it's "frozen". Plus, being unofficial, no host is going to touch it.

P.S. When I saw the thread title "Frozen", my first thought was, "Oh no, some dipslick is starting a discussion about a Disney princess!" Or is it two? I don't really keep up on that stuff.

Its only dead if we abandon it! We don’t need anyone's blessing for the community version. We can do the promoting and encourage partners to start offering it. Get blogging and let the world know its available, :thumbsup:

Its on the front page of one of my sites, and I have made sure its promoted on both my test sites.

Nothing stopping us moving forward with a new community project or is there?

https://www.trythenbuy.co.uk/oscommerce-online-merchant-community-bootstrap-edition-p-67.html

image.png.05b32d9f059d249db1c4f412d37cd8a3.png

Irrelevant. I have yet to see a major player (Softaculous, etc.) offer "Edge" as a "one button" install. They are all offering the official 2.3.4.1 (or even, 2.3.4). Therefore, osC is dead, as far as the marketplace is concerned. Edge would have to be offered outside of this site to be accepted by the ecommerce world. Word of mouth by individual sites (like yours) will accomplish nothing. By the way, I know that there is a start-up under way to build a new product based on osC 2.4. I'm not sure the participants yet want to see it publicly listed, so I can't give the project's name yet.

@mrphil, i dare u, the topic by Burt should had given u that there was no dipslick's involvement! On the other hand, I found the title Frozen dead on its point! Let it go...let it go...or $never_gonna_give_you_up, history shall one day reveal these words or variables' significance for OSC!!! Hey, you & I have something in common, we're both aware of princess movies! I hv no excuse, I hv two boyz. LOL.

All kidding aside, be it being frozen, the codes are on Github so it should not stop any dev to step up to the plate, or for any user to pay Burt to work on it and push it to the public. Everything has a price...

why is it impossible to make 2.3.4.1 CE an official release?

its just a link on the main page of oscommerce.com - isn't it?

I don't think it's dead. Everybody now has a stabile code base which won't change rapidly and one can make sofisticated easy addons. It's more up to date (php 7+) and more flexible than ever before. And with fully integration of gdpr (thanks to @Burt)

Where the devolopment goes? I hope Gary has a plan for this. Off course this has not to be the same code base. Maybe time for something new? 

We have to prove unity here: yes we want an open source solution, yes we know, that developers need financial support

2 hours ago, cupidare said:

why is it impossible to make 2.3.4.1 CE an official release?

its just a link on the main page of oscommerce.com - isn't it?

It will happen only if Harald (who owns osC and this site) wishes for it to happen. He has given no indication that he does. Last August he promised a 2.3.5 upgrade release of some sort, and 2.3.6 (the CE version), within a few weeks, and it's been 8 months now. No one has heard from him in over 3 months, and we're starting to wonder if he's still above the grass. Anyone holding their breath, waiting for something to happen, is very blue by now. Most people have given up and are moving on to other projects. It's unfortunate, and even tragic (given the amount of work that he and others have put in), but he just does not know how to run a major project. You can not disappear for years at a time, crafting your solo personal project to perfection, and then suddenly present it for the world to ooh and aah over. The current offering has to be kept alive and updated and supported, and this just has not been happening.

An open source software that relys only on one person is not open source but one source. 

Harald did a good job and now he should acknowledge that time is moving on. 

Oscommerce is a great project and only needs a little more structure and marketing in my opinion.

Ive said it before and I shall say it again Thanks Gary @burt for what you have done. Its a shame that others were not prepared to help you a bit more whether it be coder, developer or shop owner. Its a shame that it has come to this, but it had to happen one day. It could have been 4-5 years ago, but you saved the project as best you could.

There seems to be some support from a few coders in this thread so may be its their turn to commit and move the project forward. Lets see what happens. I expect nothing.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 9:38 AM, JcMagpie said:

4) Review how we make it responsive (bootstrap or alternative?) bootstrap works but is not the only option.

5) Totally integrated modification function. As and when updates to the core are made by the team they are pushed out and available in admin. User simply presses install and core is updated. ( already available in opencart)

6) Totally integrated addon function. Same as 5 above but for addons. Both paid and free ( should consider the option of approved free addons and none approved) ( already available in opencart)

7) Store side editing function. A simple way to let you make changes to the store front with out needing to edit files.

😎 Data import capability. The only way to make it successful is if we make it easy for people to move to it from another osC or other cart.

Good roadmap !

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, JcMagpie said:

Well the next stage is for the Gary and the team to decide, I am sure they already have ideas for what they want to do. I think its in two stages.

Stage 1) Lets help as many people as possible migrate from old osC which ever that is to the community addition. This will require 3 things.

1) Lets positively promote CE on the forum.

2) We need to make moving data fro old store to new much easier. How? Up for discussion.

3) Addons the one click will help but only if addon makers use it. Pick the top 50 addons and help them convert to one click.

8) Data import capability. The only way to make it successful is if we make it easy for people to move to it from another osC or other cart.

My biggest problem with the versions above 2.2 is the incompatibility with all of the plugins from the past.
Ofcourse one could rewrite them so it will fit 2.3.4 methods.
But not everything can be get into modular design.
Well actually it could but than it would be nice to agree to some standard way of doing this.
The idea of a Wordpress method of working is very appealing to me.
Have one core installation, and plugins just interact with it.
Also finding the latest info on development is quite difficult for non daily visitors.
It would be nice to have a read only topic maintained by developers, which lists the latest news on the actively developed version, and where to download it.

Stage 1,
1) I'm still on 2.3.4.1 whilst converting from 2.2, the most frustrating thing with that, is that it gets structure and core files changes, which than needs to be run against all the migrated shops again.
And although the changes are easy to make, it's just timeconsuming to do these for multiple shops again and again.

2) I've made an desktop solution for my own customers.
With that I can easily convert old data to the new database structure.
But it also has some limitations.

If there are custom tables introduced, this data can be copied in total.
If custom fields are introduced the can be created in the new structure.
So that doesn't need to be a show stopper.
But at this point it can't copy data from one field to a other different existing field (cross fields)
In general it still takes me between 30 - 60 mins to do migrations/moving data.
The more custom work is involved, the more time it takes.

And although it's just some clicks to operate the tool, it's no something that I would let my customers do themselves.

3) sounds nice

Stage 2,
1) I did that now with 2.3.4 Edge
2) Yes please
3) Unfortunatly I think thats is impossible as it is against the license model and how would one make this work?
4) I would say the biggest available, as it would probbaly be there for a while.
5) That sounds nice (but where was the time that others took features from osC?)
6) Great
7) Great
8) See above.

I also made a simple template system for 2.3.4.1 which basically lets the user uploads a template set to the server, and have them choose it from the backoffice side.
The issue with it is that you'll need to change the location where the template files are now stored to the new location for each frontend file.
And than the core files are changed, making updating more time consuming because you need to verify all the root files always, as they have this difference.

• 8 months later...

Well this is a bugger, spent the last month or so getting Frozen all setup with all the modifications needed (some paid for, some not) finally made it live and now find this out.

Are the database tables the same from Frozen to Phoenix?
As this is would make it an easy upgrade path for us store owners

Very frustrating........

Well, your frustration is understandable, but new software releases are a fact of life. You can continue to run Frozen for a while (especially if you patch it), even past its official EOL, but don't push it too far. A lot of people get into deep trouble by trying to hold on to releases years after they're obsolete. My biggest concern is getting Frozen and Phoenix past PHP 7.1, as hosts are starting to make 7.2 their minimum.

The database should be very close to (if not the same as) Frozen, but the only way to tell for sure is to do a test install of Phoenix (or look at oscommerce.sql) and compare the database schemas (structures). My understanding is that it's mostly going from Bootstrap v3 to v4, and maybe the admin side is now BS'd. I would assume that a number of bugs have been quashed, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Maybe later this summer.4

I keep telling people that when they install a new version of osC, they should keep careful track of every single change they make, and every single add-on installed, and why the change was made. This makes it so much easier to transfer to a new base install.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, supercheaphobb said:

Very frustrating........

It is quite simple to check! simply download and install WinMerge

https://www.trythenbuy.co.uk/winmerge-differencing-and-merging-tool-for-windows-p-60.html

Then simply compare the 2 version or Phoenix against your site. You will find most files are unchanged between BS4Edge and Phoenix

image.thumb.png.379f5bee1b46fa8998f8e4352e0a5482.png

When you find a file that is not the same simply click on it and compare, You will see what has changed and can update your file to reflect the new with a click! yes it's that simple.

image.thumb.png.2e49f5481ae3f9f47ad459ca1abff86d.png

2 hours ago, supercheaphobb said:

Well this is a bugger, spent the last month or so getting Frozen all setup with all the modifications needed (some paid for, some not) finally made it live and now find this out.

Are the database tables the same from Frozen to Phoenix?
As this is would make it an easy upgrade path for us store owners

Very frustrating........

If you haven't been making changes to the core code the update should be pretty easy. Updates to php, osC and other dependencies are just a fact of life.  Just be sure to keep the core changes to a minimum and if you do find it necessary...keep a good record of them as MrPhil has mentioned numerous times.

Dan

It's more than just core changes that you should keep track of. All changes, add-ons, and other configuration settings and changes should be recorded, so that it's (relatively) easy to get your next store (e.g., based on Phoenix rather than Frozen) up and running with the same look and feel and functionality of the old store. When you have to start from scratch each time, figuring out what to change, it becomes an overwhelming job, and you tend to stay for years with an obsolete version until the pain becomes too great. Don't forget to document why you make a change... it's silly to try to repeat your responsive changes to official osC in Frozen or Phoenix, only to realize after many frustrating hours that it's already built-in... now, which of those changes were for responsive, and which were other things?

I just wanted to express that it's a difference to have to find and download FROZEN or EDGE from Github versus to find Phoenix 1.0.0.0 on the "official" OsCommerce Products download page. I believe it's a big difference.

Archived