Latest News: (loading..)

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/releases/tag/2341-Frozen

There will be no further Code Changes.

• Issues will be immediately closed.
    What is broken, stays broken.
  • PRs will be immediately closed.
    What is now there, is there.

Thank You to all Shopowners and Developers who have supported the Project in the last 4 and a bit years. 

Personal Thanks go out to all those Shopowners who were able to support my 28d bits and pieces for 3 of those 4 years - it is you guys who have made it possible for the hundreds of other Shopowners to continue using osCommerce.  A big Thank You and :thumbsup: from me, I will not leave you guys high and dry - you have my support always, we are a Band Of Brothers.

Onwards!

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

Thanks to you and everyone who worked on the code. I know we made it difuicult at times but you got there in the end. Just shout if I can be of any help with the next stage.

11 hours ago, gadlol said:

So I guess osCommerce is dead... Am I right?

What will be the next stage that @JcMagpie is saying?

Well the next stage is for the Gary and the team to decide, I am sure they already have ideas for what they want to do. I think its in two stages.

Stage 1) Lets help as many people as possible migrate from old osC which ever that is to the community addition. This will require 3 things.

1) Lets positively promote CE on the forum.

2) We need to make moving data fro old store to new much easier. How? Up for discussion.

3) Addons the one click will help but only if addon makers use it. Pick the top 50 addons and help them convert to one click.

Stage 2) For me as a user,

1) Clean start with no legacy issues.

2) Totally modular design

3) Core code is made closed (no messing with it using addons)

4) Review how we make it responsive (bootstrap or alternative?) bootstrap works but is not the only option.

5) Totally integrated modification function. As and when updates to the core are made by the team they are pushed out and available in admin. User simply presses install and core is updated. ( already available in opencart)

6) Totally integrated addon function. Same as 5 above but for addons. Both paid and free ( should consider the option of approved free addons and none approved) ( already available in opencart)

7) Store side editing function. A simple way to let you make changes to the store front with out needing to edit files.

8) Data import capability. The only way to make it successful is if we make it easy for people to move to it from another osC or other cart.

But that's just my thoughts others will have there own views.

17 hours ago, gadlol said:

So I guess osCommerce is dead... Am I right?

Unless HPDL suddenly becomes very active (or at least, turns over the keys to the kingdom to someone else, to release Edge as the official 2.3.5), I would have to say that yes, the official osCommerce product is unfortunately dead. And since that's the version that all hosts supply with their application installers, that's a major problem. The unofficial Community Edition ("Edge") is currently up to date and supported, but Gary has stated that this is the end of the line for it. Any quite severe problems might be patched, but otherwise it's "frozen". Plus, being unofficial, no host is going to touch it.

P.S. When I saw the thread title "Frozen", my first thought was, "Oh no, some dipslick is starting a discussion about a Disney princess!" Or is it two? I don't really keep up on that stuff.

If you are running the "official" osC 2.3.4 or 2.3.4.1 download, your installation is obsolete! Get the latest community-supported responsive "Edge" release

Its only dead if we abandon it! We don’t need anyone's blessing for the community version. We can do the promoting and encourage partners to start offering it. Get blogging and let the world know its available, :thumbsup:

Its on the front page of one of my sites, and I have made sure its promoted on both my test sites.

Nothing stopping us moving forward with a new community project or is there?

https://www.trythenbuy.co.uk/oscommerce-online-merchant-community-bootstrap-edition-p-67.html

image.png.05b32d9f059d249db1c4f412d37cd8a3.png

Irrelevant. I have yet to see a major player (Softaculous, etc.) offer "Edge" as a "one button" install. They are all offering the official 2.3.4.1 (or even, 2.3.4). Therefore, osC is dead, as far as the marketplace is concerned. Edge would have to be offered outside of this site to be accepted by the ecommerce world. Word of mouth by individual sites (like yours) will accomplish nothing. By the way, I know that there is a start-up under way to build a new product based on osC 2.4. I'm not sure the participants yet want to see it publicly listed, so I can't give the project's name yet.

If you are running the "official" osC 2.3.4 or 2.3.4.1 download, your installation is obsolete! Get the latest community-supported responsive "Edge" release

@mrphil, i dare u, the topic by Burt should had given u that there was no dipslick's involvement! On the other hand, I found the title Frozen dead on its point! Let it go...let it go...or $never_gonna_give_you_up, history shall one day reveal these words or variables' significance for OSC!!! Hey, you & I have something in common, we're both aware of princess movies! I hv no excuse, I hv two boyz. LOL.

All kidding aside, be it being frozen, the codes are on Github so it should not stop any dev to step up to the plate, or for any user to pay Burt to work on it and push it to the public. Everything has a price...

Posted (edited)

why is it impossible to make 2.3.4.1 CE an official release?

its just a link on the main page of oscommerce.com - isn't it?

I don't think it's dead. Everybody now has a stabile code base which won't change rapidly and one can make sofisticated easy addons. It's more up to date (php 7+) and more flexible than ever before. And with fully integration of gdpr (thanks to @Burt)

Where the devolopment goes? I hope Gary has a plan for this. Off course this has not to be the same code base. Maybe time for something new? 

We have to prove unity here: yes we want an open source solution, yes we know, that developers need financial support

Edited by cupidare

2 hours ago, cupidare said:

why is it impossible to make 2.3.4.1 CE an official release?

its just a link on the main page of oscommerce.com - isn't it?

It will happen only if Harald (who owns osC and this site) wishes for it to happen. He has given no indication that he does. Last August he promised a 2.3.5 upgrade release of some sort, and 2.3.6 (the CE version), within a few weeks, and it's been 8 months now. No one has heard from him in over 3 months, and we're starting to wonder if he's still above the grass. Anyone holding their breath, waiting for something to happen, is very blue by now. Most people have given up and are moving on to other projects. It's unfortunate, and even tragic (given the amount of work that he and others have put in), but he just does not know how to run a major project. You can not disappear for years at a time, crafting your solo personal project to perfection, and then suddenly present it for the world to ooh and aah over. The current offering has to be kept alive and updated and supported, and this just has not been happening.

An open source software that relys only on one person is not open source but one source. 

Harald did a good job and now he should acknowledge that time is moving on. 

Oscommerce is a great project and only needs a little more structure and marketing in my opinion.

Dead?

It's at a place I am mostly happy with; php7, a bit modular, responsive etc.

Good Luck to all Shopowners.

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

Ive said it before and I shall say it again Thanks Gary @burt for what you have done. Its a shame that others were not prepared to help you a bit more whether it be coder, developer or shop owner. Its a shame that it has come to this, but it had to happen one day. It could have been 4-5 years ago, but you saved the project as best you could.

There seems to be some support from a few coders in this thread so may be its their turn to commit and move the project forward. Lets see what happens. I expect nothing.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Before installing the official version of oscommerce first look at a responsive version here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life