• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hosting Recomendations

AndyFU

Hi, before I start I'd just like to know what would be a good hosting package to use to host my site. Would it be best to use a high end hosting package, or would a standard shared hosting be any good. Obviously this all depends upon the traffic to my site, and at some point I'd need a better hosting package, but is it OK to start with a lower end package or does oscommerce require a lot of space?

Thanks.

osCommerce space requirement is not really an issue as it dose not require much space. You need to consider you budget and bandwidth requirements.

So many good options these days. You should consider cloud hosting as an option, some very good offers available these days. Most good hosting company's will give you an upgrade path so you can change as your requirements grow.

Also consider what type of support you will need!

2 hours ago, AndyFU said:

Would it be best to use a high end hosting package, or would a standard shared hosting be any good.

I'm not sure what you mean by "high end" but since you mention shared hosting, I assume you mean a VPS or Dedicated server. There's simply no reason for a new or low-volume shop, which I assume yours is, to go with anything other than a shared server. As your site grows in traffic, you may need to upgrade but that is probably years away. The more important consideration is which host to use and, unfortunately, that is always a gamble.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@AndyFU, cloud base hosting's the way to go. It should address all the concerns you had stated. If you can work with command lines...give this a shot.

I think Digital Ocean is easier to use than AWS. Feel free to ask questions here if you run into issues. Start with the smallest instance first, it is just so easy to throw hardware at it when it is needed. Hire help if you don't want to mess with the configuration. It will save you $$$ in the long run. I was paying HG $300 per dedicated server per month for years, and now more flexibility and power for a fraction of the cost. Feel free to ask question, people in this forum are very helpful!

On 5/15/2018 at 6:58 AM, AndyFU said:

is it OK to start with a lower end package or does oscommerce require a lot of space?

You can start with a fairly modest hosting package. As your store grows, at some point you may need to upgrade to a higher-powered plan. Many hosts are happy to upgrade you for the price difference between your old and new plans (for the rest of the prepaid plan's duration), so be sure to ask about their policies before you sign up. Also ask whether they can help transfer you to a new server if necessary, and how quickly it can be done (you don't want your site down for a week!). Make sure you own your domain name -- you can get some pretty cheap hosting if you let your host own the domain, but then they've got you over a barrel if you ever want to leave them.

osC puts a lot of stuff (most everything except the product images themselves) into the database, so don't skimp on that. However, you don't need to go all out on a top of the line hosting plan, unless you're supremely confident that your store will rival Amazon within six months :) or you're transferring an existing store and have a good idea of what kind of traffic and loads you'll get. You can look around this forum and see if there are any reports of running osC on a Cloud server, where you can more easily add additional power, often at a somewhat higher price than a fixed server plan. That might be a good choice if your loads are highly seasonable (i.e., you can release unneeded processor power during the off season), although the database and file needs won't shrink.

Archived