• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Domestic Only Shipping??

Is there an easy way (besides deleting each country in admin) to allow only people with domestic U.S. addresses to buy from my client's store?

She has zero interest selling outside of the country due to the high possibility of fraud as well as just the headache of filling out customs forms.

thanks!

Even better, some sort of "shipping class" entry on each product, for finer-grained sales/shipping. Say you sell physical (shipped) goods, and virtual (download) goods, and want to confine physical goods to US sales for the reasons given above, but are willing to sell downloadables all over the world. Within a country, you might have some products that cannot be sold in some places, or are restricted to certain shipping methods (e.g., hazardous materials by surface only). The shipping restrictions description could be automatically added to the product display text, rather than having to enter it for each product.

18 hours ago, graveyardrecords said:

She has zero interest selling outside of the country due to the high possibility of fraud as well as just the headache of filling out customs forms.

Why do you (she) suppose possibility of fraud is higher for international transactions. Which fraud you (she) refer(s) to if online purchases are paid in advance.

And yes there are the following possibilities:

1. create a (tax) zone with only US and use it to limit the shipping area. Like this no checkout is possible outside of this area (other countries). In that case customers outside US can still create account
  2. remove all countries like you said, but do it in the database which is much faster
  3. use store country as default selected country and disable the country menu in all files where it is used. Like this they can't select any other country at create account and other pages (account address, new shipping/payment address). Exact details how to do it depend on your OsC version.

Edited by raiwa

Which 2.3.4.1? standard or BS responsive community version. If BS responsive, you should run at least PHP 5.4 or better 5.6+

If standard, download and install BS responsive:

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/archive/master.zip

Use a temporary subdomain for installation and develop, then it should be possible to use a different PHP level.

@graveyardrecords Jeff,

Two things:

Since you are just starting out with a fresh install, please realize that even though v2.3.4.1 is the latest 'official' version, it is only a hot fix for v2.3.4, which is several years old, and is not compatible with PHP 7.x. So, before you get too far into this, I suggest you get the community supported Edge version (link to it in my signature below). Edge is responsive (meaning it adjusts to work on smart phones, tablets, etc), is PHP 7 compatible, is much more modular (you can turn features on or off, or add new features, all without any core changes).

Second, I asked what shipping module you are using.

Malcolm

PS: Check with your host if you can run different versions of PHP for the different sites. Some hosts let you do that.

Edited by ArtcoInc
more info

7 minutes ago, ArtcoInc said:

@graveyardrecords Jeff,

Two things:

Since you are just starting out with a fresh install, please realize that even though v2.3.4.1 is the latest 'official' version, it is only a hot fix for v2.3.4, which is several years old, and is not compatible with PHP 7.x. So, before you get too far into this, I suggest you get the community supported Edge version (link to it in my signature below). Edge is responsive (meaning it adjusts to work on smart phones, tablets, etc), is PHP 7 compatible, is much more modular (you can turn features on or off, or add new features, all without any core changes).

Second, I asked what shipping module you are using.

Malcolm

PS: Check with your host if you can run different versions of PHP for the different sites. Some hosts let you do that.

thanks, i did try to install the Edge version in a www.mydomain.com/folder but obviously the PHP version wouldn't allow it to work properly. I'll ask hostgator if I can run a different php version in a sub-domain, never thought of that.

re: shipping module, i completely forgot to answer. Currently I just have the "store pick up" installed, I tried to install the "oscom-upsxml-version-1-5-for-oscommerce-2-3-x-z6l1O-DdJp7" but i think i screwed it up. Either way, shipping will be USPS only.

@graveyardrecords

* I know of at least two add-ons that allow you to select, through Admin, which countries are allowed. One is a commercial one for the Gold or Edge version of osC, and needs no core edits. The other is a free one which I think works with the standard version of osC, but requires a lot of core edits.

* You can go through the code and change all instances where a customer enters an address and hard code the country selection. This would require a lot of core edits, and is not recommended.

* Or, as you already know, you can edit the database and eliminate all countries except for the United States.

As an aside, you stated that you intend to only use USPS, yet you also said that you tried to install the UPS module?

Malcolm

7 minutes ago, ArtcoInc said:

@graveyardrecords

As an aside, you stated that you intend to only use USPS, yet you also said that you tried to install the UPS module?

Malcolm

lol duh! that explains it haha

okay, i'm uploading the "master" folders for the Edge into a subdomain.mydomain.com now

Edited by graveyardrecords

1 hour ago, ArtcoInc said:

@graveyardrecords Jeff,

I called hostgator and they don't allow that :( 

my only option according to customer support would be to buy a new domain/hosting and build that in php 7 :(

I found my own business server is running PHP 5.4.45 with OSC 2.3.4 but the EDGE one appears compatible. so I guess i'll just install it in a subdirectory there, build it and then when it's ready, move it to my client's server and upgrade her server to 7.0

now to just figure out how to export the database >.<