• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How change user premissions for config?

HobbyMekanik

How to change user permissions for /includes/configure.php? I use Transmit as ftp-client. When I get info for configure.php direct from the server in Transmit I am able to check and uncheck the boxes for User, Group, World. But when unchecking the box for User and Write from 644 to 444 and saving, nothing has changed when I open the file again from the server with transmit. So how do I change permission so that Write is not possible for User (444)?

Thanks!

/Anders

Most servers no longer allow FTP clients to change permissions on files and directories. It's not clear to me if you are changing on the server or on your PC. Anyway, all hosts provide some sort of "File Manager" in their "control panel" (not necessarily cPanel, which is a particular brand of control panel). A File Manager will list files, and provide a way to change permissions. Note that you may be required to check/uncheck boxes; overwriting numbers may have no lasting effect. I happen to use cPanel, where I right-click on a file name and choose "Permissions" from the pop-up menu.

Note that making a file "read-only" (typically 444) will prevent you from uploading (overwriting) to it, and will prevent you from editing from your File Manager. You need to first change it back to writable by the owner (typically 644). Your host's technical support should be able to tell you exactly how to do these things if you can't figure it out yourself with a little exploring.

24 minutes ago, ArtcoInc said:

@HobbyMekanik

Most control panels have a place where you can set or adjust file permissions. Look around and see what's available.

Used this tutorial http://one-docs.com/guides/en/change-file-permissions/ But with no emediate luck. When I run the file I got a message that permission was set to 0444, but still osCommerce warn me about the safety issu and that writing to config.php still is possible. Checking the permissions from Transmit, it shows 644.

3 minutes ago, justcatering said:

If you are unable to change the permissions in your control panel contact your hosting company as you may not have the right permissions to allow you to make the change.

I´m talking with the support right now, but now I'm in doubt if I should change the permissions for configure.php to read only.

Archived