• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

switching hosts and domains

Gino D

how can I transfer my catalog from one host to another? the twist is going to be a new domain name as well.

both stores are Installed Version: osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4

The first thing is to plan to update to osC 2.3.4.1BS Edge while you're at it, and not stay at osC 2.3.4. It sounds like you may have already installed the old version on the new host, but if you haven't gone live yet, simply remove the new 2.3.4 and install Edge there. Export the old database to an .sql file, and empty out the new database and import the .sql file (restore the backup). Then you have to follow instructions for upgrading the database to Edge format. Copy over your old configure.php files' data, being careful to change the domain name in them. Don't simply copy over the files -- there may be some differences. I don't think osC stores the domain name anywhere in the database, but I haven't looked carefully to check. Copy over your old product image files, and you should be in business. Of course, payment and shipping will need to be configured, and any customization you've done on the old system will have to be done.

Yes, in short, copy and restore the catalog folder and the database backup and modify the configure.php as necessary for the store front and admin you should be good to go. Of course you will run into issues, just post the error message and I think it will get sorted out by the many experts here in the forum. Oh, this is what I would normally do. Get the new instance running first before the final switchover/destroying the original instance. Do the DB restore one last time, shutdown the original site, backup DB, and restore it to the new instance. Re-point your DNS if necessary...good luck!

4 hours ago, Gino D said:

how can I transfer my catalog from one host to another? the twist is going to be a new domain name as well.

both stores are Installed Version: osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4

Archived