• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Updates to osCommerce

Portman

Hi everyone... this is not a complaint, this is a question.

I have been noticing of late that there have not been a lot of updates to the core of oscommerce over the past number of years, and I am wondering if there are things I have to do to keep up to date...

I am running  v2.3.4 and checking updates says I am up to date, but as I look around the forum there is talk of edge and gold and boot strap and other things that I am not sure what they are. there is also talk of a php upgrade that has me a bit concerned 

I am not really a programmer but I have been learning along the may through using this using this platform and I have really enjoyed it, but the other side of running my business means I don't have the time  to keep up to date with all the changes in the computing world. 

Can someone tell me if there are things i need to do to keep up to date and secure online?? or am I ok?

As I said I really enjoy using osCommerce and don't want to change to another platform (in fact I don't think there is a truly open source platform out there that can do what I have been able to accomplish through osCommerce) but if it is becoming dangerously out of date then maybe that's what I need to do .

Yup....start upgrading to EDGE.  Install it in a separate directory on your site and start configuring it to work as you want/like. There is a link to that download in my signature file.   There a lots on threads on how to update the database files and get any other help you might need but the key is to get started.

Dan

@Portman, as you have noticed, the official osCommerce release stream is as good as dead. It doesn't appear that any more substantial work is being done on it. There is a long-promised osC 2.4 nearly ready to go, but who knows when it will be ready for the public and officially released.

@burt took osC 2.3.4 (the official release) and made it "responsive" (mobile-friendly) by using the Bootstrap library ("BS"). Any site that is not responsive is dead meat (visitors will avoid it). An early release was frozen at Gold years ago, and then there has been an Edge release under continuous development. This is also referred to as the "community supported" release, as it is not "official" in any way. Gary has indicated that this is just about at the end of the road now, and is planning a "final" release soon. Currently, "Edge" is the right one to use (per Dan's comments). It is also up-to-date on PHP support, and is at least PHP 7.0 compatible (maybe 7.1). PHP 7.1 is considered the "current" PHP level that sites should be at, although slower hosts may be as far back as PHP 5.6. Any host not offering at least PHP 5.6 by this point should be avoided.

There is interest in a "community supported release" to take 2.4 towards release in a usable form. We'll have to see how that pans out, but for now, Edge is the way to go.

• 1 month later...

Ah, thank you MrPhil!  That's the most useful information I've seen here in a while.  I wish the osCommerce page would dial back the marketing a little bit and focus on some actual news and information.

Archived