• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce Online Merchant Community 2.4 Edition

Anyone up for it?

With the limitations of 2.3.4 becoming more evident and a lack of progress from the official branch making it difficult to move forward, we should "go it alone" on 2.4. 

@burt has done a fantastic job of the Community Version so far but improving 2.3.4 any further isn't worth the effort, as he's already indicated by making it Final.

I feel effort would be better spent on software more suitable for everyone.

We have the basic building blocks:

1. The softwarehttps://www.oscommerce.com/Products

2. How to build an app step by step

3. Documentationhttps://library.oscommerce.com/Online&en&oscom_2_4&developers

We would need commitment from community members to make it happen!

Already done according to the documentation:

OSC\OM Framework
Introduce a framework to replace legacy classes and functions with.
Bootstrap Frontend Framework
Replace the jQuery UI based Shop, Admin, and Setup frontend with Bootstrap.
Self-Contained Apps
Introduce self-contained Apps with support for self-defined modules and url routes.
Hooks
Introduce hook calls.
Online Updates
Introduce an online update feature for the core.
INI Style Language Definitions
Move the language definitions to ini style files.

Still needs to be done (according to the documentation):

Legacy Cleanup

Move core modules to an osCommerce App.

Migrate remaining classes to the new framework, including:

• Breadcrumb
  • Currencies
  • Language
  • Message Stack
  • Navigation History
  • Shopping Cart

SEO

• Introduce SEO features.

Database Schema Comparison

• Introduce a database schema comparison tool existing store owners can use as part of their upgrade.

Hook Action Calls

• Finalize hook action calls throughout the codebase.

Online Updates

• Extend the online update feature to installed Apps.

App Browser

• Introduce an online App browser and installer.

Language Packs

• Support community maintained language packs and provide a list of ready to be used languages in the setup routine.

Legacy Compatibility Module

• Automatically re-map legacy v2.3 classes, functions, and code to the new framework for compatibility with existing v2.3 add-ons.

------------------------------

There would be a problem with the online app browser, installer and update feature of course, as that hasn't been implemented anywhere yet.

There is also a hidden templating feature which would need to be worked on. There are templates for:

Admin - includes/OSC/Sites/Admin/Templates/Sail

Store - includes/OSC/Sites/Shop/Templates/Sail

There would need to be admin to install and switch templates. I can't see that in the current code.

So, I think the most important thing to do first would be to analyse what is important, what should be added (product, products, customer classes for instance?), what can be ported from 2.3.4 Community Edition (updated breadcrumb module etc) and then exactly what needs to be done. After that, a roadmap can be created.

Time to leave 2.3.4 Community Edition behind and start on something new.

Comments? Thoughts?

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure I understand what you are proposing. If you mean to create a fork, those aren't allowed here so it would be a whole shop. If you mean to just update the existing 2.3.4.1 files, you won't be able to make it the official version so you would end up with a second community version. Would that accomplish anything? Maybe I'm not understanding what the goal is.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

OK, thanks. I haven't looked much at the official version but is there something in it that would make rebuilding it better than the BS version?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes. Mainly namespaces and self contained apps, but also

PDO

Database query caching

Hooks in admin

More hooks in shop side (i.e. session hooks StartBefore, StartAfter and Recreated)

Object registry

4 minutes ago, wHiTeHaT said:

Already working on it!
As soon as have something sustainable i will let you know.

I knew you would Whitehat :smile:

However, before working on it why don't we discuss the roadmap to ensure everyone is behind it 100% and knows exactly what to expect so that we can all work together.

11 hours ago, frankl said:

Time to leave 2.3.4 Community Edition behind and start on something new.

Absolutely .. and the 2.4 framework as it stands now seems good enough to last some longer time (alltough you never know) .. so the effort is worth it. The list you made also seems quite complete for now.

The only thing I question for now is - In which areas is cooperation of Harald / Team needed or can it be done without? At least in development fase.

If you want to finish the 2.4, and after to work with 2.4 now since very long month, I know very well. I think you must create a team

Team for template HTML : got to boostrap2.4
Test team  : go test and restest and try to break the functionalities
Coder team :

- After my experience, the most important in the first is to migrate general and classes directory in the first time inside OSC. The finalities is to have just one function and not 2 like the 2.3. The harmonisation allow to develop and adapt all element. HPDL begin to do that but currently is not yet finished.
- The second thing is to respect the philosophy of the code, note like the last unofficial 2.3.5 .
- The third thing is not to include new functionalities inside, just respect the current functionalities, Less is better than to go more; The spirit will be respected
- The quater  is to migrate the admin in app; App is great if you understand well what you can make with that and the relation between app across the hook

About the biggest bug currently inside the 2.4 is the language, I open on github some element than I saw and the rewriting. 
I forgot lot of things but these elements are essentials if you want to make a beta prefinal and ready to work and easily to create new features in the futur.

it' long work and lot of time, and I know, I can tell you !

Project management must make with a project leader take decision and orientation. Coherence !

+

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

I haven't looked at the 2.4 core yet. I like the app/market place and no core code change approach, and I hope there's plan to implement some kinda MVC/MVVM framework. The last I heard was making the BS official, and then moving it along to 2.4. We need someone who knows 2.4 and BS and map out all the tasks to modernize OSC, I should be able to pitch in. The hardest part is to re-architect/modernize the framework and making it more inviting to users and developers, and getting all those involved to agree.

@frankl Frank I think this is the right next step and I'll certainly do what I can to help but first I think we need to get the EDGE Community Version locked down.  Testing is needed and there doesn't seem to be very much interest in helping out.   I hope that is not a sign of the interest in osC as a whole.  I think it's time for all of us to roll up our sleeves and give EDGE the final push that it needs.   If you're reading this and can help out please see this thread.

Once EDGE gets finalized then hopefully the active community will get behind this initiative.  I will, and will definitely push to get some kind of workable team structure in place to make this a reality.   In summary, I think this is a great idea.:thumbsup:

Dan

On 4/20/2018 at 5:57 PM, frankl said:

Already done according to the documentation:

OSC\OM Framework
Introduce a framework to replace legacy classes and functions with.
Bootstrap Frontend Framework

Is 2.4 responsive (ie: is it built on the Bootstrap framework)?

i'd prefer a finished and polished BS Version first (whatever you call the version exactly 2.3.4/2.3.4.1/edge/gold.. i have lost track) and long time "support" with addons,  templates and services. Nobody needs an always almost finished, but never realy officially released Oscommerce. Customers need stability (as said, long time support), code that is as future proof as possible and sure, free addons are nice, but i would also pay for professional addons. i dont get it for example, why there is no shop here for all the good Gary Addons Stuff and i have to wait a year for the next xxdays of code always. Why is there no marketplace for developers who want to sell their addons?

Archived