• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

nothing works beyond the front page

oscommerce21

Hi, folks!

I have been with osCommerce, seems like 20 years ;-)

One of the stores was to the degree overlooked, no sales was blamed on no interest in books anylonger.

The site seems functional http://freebible.us and DB shows the product on remote website properly: http://prisonministry.net

However, nothing works beyond the front page.

I still can FTP to the Server. No backups handy - they are somewhere on old HDDs

Question: 

Is there any step-by-step institutions how to to troubleshoot a non-working website?

Thank you.

What do you mean by "nothing works"? Blank screens (white screen of death)? Garbled or incomplete content? Pages look OK, but can't add to shopping cart or check out? Any error messages? Any errors logged on the server (e.g., "error_log" files)?

What osC version? What PHP version is your host at? What add-ons and other changes? Look at your hosting control panel's file manager -- any files updated more recently than you can account for? That could mean that you've been hacked.

5 hours ago, MrPhil said:

What do you mean by "nothing works"? Blank screens (white screen of death)? Garbled or incomplete content? Pages look OK, but can't add to shopping cart or check out? Any error messages? Any errors logged on the server (e.g., "error_log" files)?

What osC version? What PHP version is your host at? What add-ons and other changes? Look at your hosting control panel's file manager -- any files updated more recently than you can account for? That could mean that you've been hacked.

Thank you.

What do you mean by "nothing works"?  - Just the front page works, any links - blank page.

Any error messages?  - as you can see on the page - error 4xx

Any errors logged on the server (e.g., "error_log" files)? - Yes, I can access Error log (500 mb now) and post first several lines here.

What osC version? - Educated Guess - 2.2.2 

Php - http://freebible.us/test.php

What add-ons and other changes - very minor, if any, currently is sis 2007 installation

Any files updated more recently than you can account  - digging though it right now by FTP.

and YES, I see DB backups in /admin/backups from 2012.

THANK YOU, Phil!

Does it look proper?

.htaccess

--------

<IfModule prefork.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD}   ^GET$

{......... removed by burt .........}

[R=302,NE,L,CO=VWG:%{ENV:VWG}:%{HTTP_HOST}:11997:/:0:HttpOnly]

</IfModule>
#dea3e2db1b90bbb4e1c6954c2dsdwcefvrgbthnyujmi7843b652cb69073

htaccess.JPG

When I tried clicking on a link it failed as you mentioned. Then when I tried going back to the home page, it still failed. I see quite a few cookies were added to my browser that caused that. Clearing them allowed me to load the home page again.

I suggest renaming the .htaccess file and see if the links on the site work.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@oscommerce21

Version 2.2 RC2 is VERY old. If your host updated their version of PHP, your store will crash! My recommendation is to back up EVERYTHING now, both the files AND the database. You say you have FTP access. With that, you can backup the files. If you have CPanel access to your host's server, you should be able to back up the database.

You can waste a lot of time trying to fix your old site, or put that time to better use upgrading to the new Edge version of osC.

Malcolm

ps: I know only a very little about .htacces files, but yours definitely do not look right to me.

oscommerce21  The site still fails for me so it seems the .htaccess file is not at fault. I would suspect it of being hacked as Phil mentioned. For the error log entries, those are just warnings due to a setting on the server. They can be safely ignored or your host can make a change to stop them.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

5 hours ago, ArtcoInc said:

@oscommerce21

Version 2.2 RC2 is VERY old. If your host updated their version of PHP, your store will crash! My recommendation is to back up EVERYTHING now, both the files AND the database. You say you have FTP access. With that, you can backup the files. If you have CPanel access to your host's server, you should be able to back up the database.

You can waste a lot of time trying to fix your old site, or put that time to better use upgrading to the new Edge version of osC.

Malcolm

ps: I know only a very little about .htacces files, but yours definitely do not look right to me.

Thank you, Malcolm!

I just got oscommerce-2.2rc2a - can I simply overwrite site's files with the the "official" files and start working  on transition to Edge from there?

What do you think?

5 hours ago, Jack_mcs said:

oscommerce21  The site still fails for me so it seems the .htaccess file is not at fault. I would suspect it of being hacked as Phil mentioned. For the error log entries, those are just warnings due to a setting on the server. They can be safely ignored or your host can make a change to stop them.

I deleted 500 mb Error log.

crazy .htaccess is deleted too.

Thank you!

@oscommerce21

No. Unfortunately, it is not an in-place upgrade. You'd install Edge in a different sub-directory, and migrate the database over. There are a lot of changes in the database over the years, as well as the new additions to make Edge responsive.

As always, work with copies of the files. And, if you are not comfortable doing this yourself, you can post in the Commercial Support area for bids on doing the work for you.

Malcolm

@oscommerce21

No. Unfortunately, it is not an in-place upgrade.

I understand.

I just got "good" oscommerce-2.2rc2a from the server - and it is what I have installed.

Can I simply overwrite site's files with the the "official" files of 2.2rc2a and start working  on transition to Edge from there?

I remember doing such "repairs" 12 years ago. I do not remember which wile that speaks to the DB I should bring from the old installation.

Is it "configure.php" from /includes or something else?

Thank you!

@oscommerce21

Imagine that you have a recipe for a pound cake, and one for a pumpkin pie. Both make a nice dessert. If you overwrote one with the other, without changing the ingredients, what do you think would happen?

No, you have to install Edge from scratch. Then, take a COPY of your old database, make the necessary changes, and import that into Edge (as well as any photos of products, etc).

Shortcuts will only get you a pumpkin cake that no-one wants to eat :cool:

@oscommerce21

Imagine that you have a recipe for a pound cake, and one for a pumpkin pie. Both make a nice dessert. If you overwrote one with the other, without changing the ingredients, what do you think would happen?

No, you have to install Edge from scratch. Then, take a COPY of your old database, make the necessary changes, and import that into Edge (as well as any photos of products, etc).

Shortcuts will only get you a pumpkin cake that no-one wants to eat :cool:

I just got "good" oscommerce-2.2rc2a from the server - and it is what I have installed.

Can I simply overwrite site's files with the the "official" files of 2.2rc2a ----------> TO GET AN OLD WEBSITE <--------- and THAN start working  on transition to Edge ---> from there?

If your old site had no mods or changes, then possibly. Install 2.2rc2 somewhere, copy over you product images, and a COPY of your old database. Give it a try ... what do you have to loose?

That is the thought I was looking for, probably. 

Thank you.

You are running at PHP 5.4, which is pretty long of tooth (PHP 7.1 is current). You should erase or rename test.php immediately... it is a security hazard that a hacker using that information might be able to hack your site.

osC 2.2RC2a is quite outdated, although it will probably run OK on PHP 5.4. If you want to keep this site and store active, you really should get in motion to move to osC 2.3.4.1BS Edge.

Did your host change anything recently (just before things went south), such as an upgrade to the server? Maybe .htaccess and/or php.ini has a command in it which is now banned. In that case, there should be error messages logged that there is a 500 error. I can't read your dropbox error log; it's too large.

Renaming .htaccess is just a TEMPORARY step to see if the problem is in that file. If your site's behavior changes, it probably is. Rename it back afterwards.

8 hours ago, MrPhil said:

You are running at PHP 5.4, which is pretty long of tooth (PHP 7.1 is current). You should erase or rename test.php immediately... it is a security hazard that a hacker using that information might be able to hack your site.

osC 2.2RC2a is quite outdated, although it will probably run OK on PHP 5.4. If you want to keep this site and store active, you really should get in motion to move to osC 2.3.4.1BS Edge.

Did your host change anything recently (just before things went south), such as an upgrade to the server? Maybe .htaccess and/or php.ini has a command in it which is now banned. In that case, there should be error messages logged that there is a 500 error. I can't read your dropbox error log; it's too large.

Renaming .htaccess is just a TEMPORARY step to see if the problem is in that file. If your site's behavior changes, it probably is. Rename it back afterwards.

Phil, thank you for your kind reply. 

I'm with osCommerce since it was "The Project" - used to do a little. The website "pretended" to work fine, and I did not pay attention to it for more than 12 years...

Forgot a lot ;-)

Today's task was TWO clicks hard - to switch back to pHP 4.4...

PHP.JPG

You switched to PHP 4.4? Eep. osC 2.2 RC2a shouldn't have to go back that far (did you try PHP 5.2?), but if it runs correctly now, that might be a temporary fix while you get Edge up and running on PHP 7. Try not to run on anything less than PHP 7, as anything older than 5.6 is long out of support and full of security holes. You will need osC 2.3.4.1 or (much better) Edge for PHP 7.

Archived