• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Creating a new page in Edge

ralgiere

1) in /catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/boxes/bm_information.php add this before the closing ?>

define('MODULE_BOXES_INFORMATION_BOX_FAQ', 'FAQ');

2) in /catalog/includes/modules/boxes/templates/information.php   add this between the Conditions and Contact info:

<li><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link('faq.php'); ?>"><?php echo MODULE_BOXES_INFORMATION_BOX_FAQ; ?></a></li>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I see what we did wrong ... You are showing the 'links' module in the footer ... NOT the Information box ...

<sigh>

So, the files you need to edit are:

/catalog/includes/modules/content/footer/templates/links.php

and

/catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/content/footer/cm_footer_information_links.php

I'm sure that by now you can figure out what to change in each file :wink:

Malcolm

I suggest you use the Information Pages addon instead of adding pages manually. All you need to is click to add a new page and then you can edit it in admin.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, it works with Edge. For the basic installation, there are two small file changes to be made. That will allow links to the new pages to be shown in the included footer module If you want the links to appear elsewhere, then there are other small edits that you can make, as explained in the instructions.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Try this for comparing and merging files. WinMerge is a differencing and merging tool for Windows

https://www.trythenbuy.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=60&osCsid=id8bb7eb2ufhil3vkq38eu0065

Or you can use the good old, Notepad++ is a free source code editor

https://www.trythenbuy.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=62

Hi Jack,

The first file is from (oscom-information) and the second file I copied is from my site. Can I just replace the file from my site with the one from (oscom-information) 

application_top.php     oscom-information

// add category names or the manufacturer name to the breadcrumb trail
  if (isset($cPath_array)) {
    for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($cPath_array); $i<$n; $i++) {
      $categories_query = tep_db_query("select categories_name from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where categories_id = '" . (int)$cPath_array[$i] . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
      if (tep_db_num_rows($categories_query) > 0) {
        $categories = tep_db_fetch_array($categories_query);
        $breadcrumb->add($categories['categories_name'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath=' . implode('_', array_slice($cPath_array, 0, ($i+1)))));
      } else {
        break;
      }
    }
  } elseif (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {
    $manufacturers_query = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_name from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " where manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");

application_top.php     MY site

$n=sizeof($cPath_array);
    for ($i=0; $i<$n; $i++) {      
      if ( defined('MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_CATEGORY_TITLE_SEO_BREADCRUMB_OVERRIDE') && (MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_CATEGORY_TITLE_SEO_BREADCRUMB_OVERRIDE == 'True') ) {
        $categories_query = tep_db_query("select coalesce(NULLIF(categories_seo_title, ''), categories_name) as categories_name from categories_description where categories_id = '" . (int)$cPath_array[$i] . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
      }
      else {
        $categories_query = tep_db_query("select categories_name from categories_description where categories_id = '" . (int)$cPath_array[$i] . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
      }    
      if (tep_db_num_rows($categories_query) > 0) {
        $categories = tep_db_fetch_array($categories_query);
        $breadcrumb->add($categories['categories_name'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath=' . implode('_', array_slice($cPath_array, 0, ($i+1)))));
      } else {
        break;
      }
    }
  } elseif (isset($_GET['manufacturers_id'])) {
    if ( defined('MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_MANUFACTURER_TITLE_SEO_BREADCRUMB_OVERRIDE') && (MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_MANUFACTURER_TITLE_SEO_BREADCRUMB_OVERRIDE == 'True') ) {
      $manufacturers_query = tep_db_query("select coalesce(NULLIF(mi.manufacturers_seo_title, ''), m.manufacturers_name) as manufacturers_name from manufacturers m, manufacturers_info mi where m.manufacturers_id = mi.manufacturers_id and m.manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$_GET['manufacturers_id'] . "' and mi.languages_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
    }
    else {
      $manufacturers_query = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_name from manufacturers where manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$_GET['manufacturers_id'] . "'");
    } 

@ralgiere

Those aren't complete files. Didn't you have that problem before?

Also, if you examine the two pieces of code, you'll see that the 'file' from your side has the newer coding style (actual database table names instead of TABLE_xxxxxx, and $_GET() instead of $HTTP_GET_VARS()). *IF* you were to replace your code with the code from the add-on, you'd have to update the new code to match the current coding style. If you don't, you're going to have database problems and issues with newer versions of PHP.

@ralgiere

(we're getting a little off topic here, but ...)

The 'Information Pages' add-on works (I have it on one of my sites). It allows you to quickly and easily add new pages, and even edit them quickly and easily from anywhere (assuming you can log into your Admin side of your shop). That said ...

1) You now know how to create a new page by yourself, and add links to it. This experience is valuable.

2) As I pointed out in my reply above, it looks like the add-on needs to be updated to the current coding style (for the reasons listed above).

3) The Information Pages add-on stores all of the text for the new pages in the database, instead of in a language file. There are a couple of gotchas you need to be aware of if you are using any special characters in your text.

4) There's a search add-on (that I particularly like) that allows you to have your customers search your site not only for part names and part numbers, but also search for words or phrases across all of the pages of your site (wouldn't you like your customers to be able to search for a word or phrase, and have them find it on your FAQ page?). Unfortunately, this search add-on can not search pages created and stored by Information Pages.

Like I said, I've used Information Pages on one of my sites. But, I won't use it again for any new sites, and if I update that old site, I'd most likely remove it.

fwiw

ralgiere Any addon that has files in it that are already in your shop should be compared with yours. There are too many versions of oscommerce to keep all of the addons up-to-date. Even if it is up-to-date, it would only have the stock code while yours may have been altered. So you shouldn't just replace such files. 

ArtcoInc I think you may be confusing Information Pages Unlimited with Information Pages SEO. The latter is the one I referenced and it is up-to-date.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

OK, I am so sorry

I am sort of confused 

1. Please, let me know where I should I be discussing this topic?

2. I used a file editor and compared the site with the addon and what I posted is the only part that is different. My question is should I use the addon or leave it alone?

@ralgiere

This thread was about how to add a page to your site. That was answered. Someone suggested a different approach, which is fine. When you started having problems with that approach (making that add-on work), that's a different question (IMHO).

As @Jack_mcs pointed out, I confused the add-on he was suggesting with another (one with a very similar name). I apologize for the confusion.

You're still learning how the new version of osC works, and what add-ons are available. You're working on an in-house server. Try his suggestion. See for yourself if you like it or not. The only thing it will cost you is your time, and you may even learn something in the process. :cool:

Questions about addons should always be posted in the support thread for that addon. Some addons have links to the support thread in the apps section. Some have it in the doc's in the package.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived