• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Creating a new page in Edge

ralgiere

First of all, I would like to thank Dan, Malcolm, and Jim for all your help. I have changed my old site to Edge and have MSV working. I am now trying to change the background on the index page and add some new pages.

Is there a place, area or a document that I can use to create a new page (FAQ page) or change the index background in Edge (bootstrap)?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the background color, open the user.css file in the store root and add the css for body:

body {
  background-color: #your color here;
}

Any css styling should be done in the user.css, it's the last one loaded and all definitions there will overwrite the original definitions in the other css files.

The easiest way to create a new page is to copy and rename for example the conditions page (both main and language file). Add a link to your new page, and change the language defintions for your needs.

Rainer,

Thank you for your help. I copied both the conditions page (both main and language file) made the necessary changes and renamed them to FAQ. Can you PLEASE tell me how to add a link to the new page, and change the language definitions?

@ralgiere

1) Where do you want the link(s) to the new page?

2) What language definitions? Examine your new FAQ Language file. You will see a bunch of 'definitions', associating some text with a named definition. Within your new FAQ page, you will see where these definitions are called.

a) Change the names of the definitions to match IN BOTH FILES to represent the fact that these definitions are for the new FAQ page, and

b) Change the definition text (in the Language file) to what you want to say.

HTH

I wanted the link in the information box under contact us. This is what I have done and is not working. Is this what you mean?

<?php
/*
  $Id$

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
  http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2002 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

define('NAVBAR_TITLE', 'faq');
define('HEADING_TITLE', 'faq');

define('TEXT_INFORMATION', '
    Placing an order at SoCalCoralReef.com is simple, safe and secure. We offer a variety of ways to submit your order, including:<br><br>
    <b>Internet:</b> SoCalCoralReef.com takes every precaution necessary to protect your privacy and personal information. When submitting sensitive information (such as a credit card number) via our website, that information is collected, encrypted and protected by the best encryption technology available in the industry—SSL. SoCalCoralReef.com uses 128-bit encryption, the most advanced form of SSL software presently available. 
    <br><br>

@ralgiere

The first thing I see is you are missing the closing punctuation in the last definition (unless you simply failed to include it here)

It should end something like this :

<br><br>');

Note the single quote, the closing parentheses, and the closing semicolon

You probably also need to change the names of the definitions, as NAVBAR_TITLE, HEADING_TITLE, and TEXT_INFORMATION are probably already in use. You'd need to change them in BOTH files (the FAQ file, and the Language file). Make sure that the names you use are unique, and are the same in both files.

HTH

@ralgiere

Just now, ralgiere said:

on my old site there was a filename.php page I don't see it on Edge

That has been eliminated in Edge. Now, all of the file names are hard-coded in all of the programs. If you are trying to use an old add-on that still uses filename.php, you have two choices: revise the old add-on to hard-code the file names, or there is a Compatibility add-on you can use:

https://apps.oscommerce.com/RNywS&add-on-compatibility-for-2-3-4-edge

HTH

This is what I did.

1. I copied the condition page in the catalog and renamed it FAQ.

renamed everything named conditions to FAQ

2. I copied the condition page in the catalog includes, languages, English and renamed it FAQ.

renamed everything named conditions to FAQ

@ralgiere

Sounds good so far. In your FAQ.php file, do you have something like this:

require('includes/languages/' . $language . '/conditions.php');

$breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link('conditions.php'));

In both lines, you need to change conditions.php to faq.php.

Once this is done, you should be able to access the FAQ page by typing in your browser:

<domain.com>/catalog/faq.php

Let's go from there ...

I checked both files and they are as you said this is what I got

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

Archived