• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Duplicate titles and fix

John W

I'm interested in any thoughts on this as I'm just moved to #1 (organic listing – not paid) on Google using a desktop computer for the term "dried flowers" in almost every state that I checked.  I haven't been number one organically for this in many years

and for the most part, I was only #2 as a high in the past.  Could just be coincidence.

There's a crawler that crawls monthly and gives me a report of errors and warnings.  Well, it was showing that the same title exists for product_info and product_reviews.  This is the page title it's referring to, not anything else.  So, I made the experimental change of adding "Reviews - " to the product_reviews page title like below.

<div class="page-header">
  <div class="row">
    <h1 class="col-sm-4" itemprop="name">Reviews - <?php echo $products_name; ?></h1>
    <h2 class="col-sm-8 text-right-not-xs"><?php echo $products_price; ?></h2>
  </div>
</div>

So, now instead of having the titles exactly the same, I have it like this on "Reviews - Pine Cones - Loblolly - 200 ct"  and the product page is just  "Pine Cones - Loblolly - 200 ct"

If anyone else tries this, I'd be interested in hearing results. 

I'm not really a dog.

@John W

Google had a massive update last week which would explain your improvements. 

Nothing wrong with adding the word Review to the reviews page. The only criticism I have of the product review page is that it has no obvious way for the customer to click through to the product page.

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

John - The duplicate titles has caused a lot of confusion for years. It started showing up, as I recall, around the time that google announced their duplicate content warning, but the two are totally different. They are just saying that each page of the site should have a unique title and are letting you know that is not the case. The recommended way is to have unique titles so what you did is the correct way to handle it.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Whenever I can solve something like this, I always try to improve.  I didn't really think it moved me to number one, but IMHO, everything we can do better and more correctly is worth doing.

I'm not really a dog.

Archived