• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2.3.4.1 Edge

ralgiere

I have an older version of OSCommerce and I am in the process of making a new site using a more responsive site (Edge). I would like the new site to look like the old one (socalcoralreef.com) but it is very different and I don't know where to go in this new version to make changes to the header, background, and buttons. Could someone help with the code or direct me to some threads to do the thing I just described?

@ralgiere

Congrats on moving up to Edge!

To alter the appearance of you site will require identifying and editing the individual modules in Edge (each module should have its own template file, which you can change to your hearts content), and through CSS.

Start by turning each module on and off through admin to identify what each one does, and what it looks like. Then, locate the code for that module, and look at the template file for that module.

After that, start examining the created source code for your new site. Most browsers these days have some sort of Inspect Element function. You will find a blank user.css file in the root of your store. Put all of your CSS changes here (do NOT try and edit any of the existing CSS files. user.css is loaded last, and will override all of the existing css definitions).

Lastly, please understand the responsive nature of Edge. Bootstrap (the framework on which Edge is built) will adjust the layout of your store based on the size of the screen it is being displayed on. So, the layout will change on different devices.

HTH

Malcolm

Thank you, 

I have been looking for the template file to put a background image in Edge. Could you please point me to that module/template file?

Thank you

Ray

@ralgiere

In user.css, add something like this:

#bodyContent {
  background-image: url("my_background.png");
}

This assumes that 'my_background.png" is the name of your background image, and is located in the root directory of your store. Adjust as needed.

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the code sent and it repeats and is distorted.   Can someone  please tell me why this code will not work?

#bodyContent { 

background-image: url ("clownfish.png") no-repeat center center fixed;
   -webkit-background-size: cover;
  -moz-background-size: cover;
  -o-background-size: cover;
  background-size: cover;
  filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='.clownfish.png', sizingMethod='scale');
  -ms-filter: "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='clownfish.png', sizingMethod='scale')";

}

Thank you so much 

Ray

thank you so much for responding. will this code work on a edge version?

/* user.css ----------------------------------------------------------------- */

body {
   background-image: url("clownfish.png");
   background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-attachment: fixed;
    background-position: center; 
   background-color: #cccccc;
}

#bodyContent { 

background-color:rgb(255,255,255);opacity:0.4; 
 }

I tried testing it and I got this error:

Warning: Use of undefined constant OSCOM_APP_PAYPAL_GATEWAY - assumed 'OSCOM_APP_PAYPAL_GATEWAY' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in C:\xampp\htdocs\socalcoralreef.com\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_express.php on line 73

1 minute ago, ralgiere said:

I tried testing it and I got this error:

Warning: Use of undefined constant OSCOM_APP_PAYPAL_GATEWAY - assumed 'OSCOM_APP_PAYPAL_GATEWAY' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in C:\xampp\htdocs\socalcoralreef.com\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_express.php on line 73

I don't think that has anything to do with the CSS you posted....that references your paypal app.

Dan

Archived