• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrade, or change cart?

ArtcoInc

This is an example of why there are 7000 addons. 
90% of these should not exist in their existing format.

How the hell 7000 addons is used for "marketing" osCommerce is just ... "    " (lost for words).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, 14steve14 said:

It wouldnt be so bad if all of the 7000+ addons actually worked with the latest release. Half of them never worked properly from the word go on the version they were designed for.

2 hours ago, burt said:

Latest idiot

1 hour ago, azpro said:

in his defence ... Maybe this is also because of lack of documentation ... Addon makers can very well be "good will" coders / amateurs ... who struggle through the code and don't really understand the BIG PICTURE ...

1 hour ago, burt said:

How the hell 7000 addons is used for "marketing" osCommerce is just ... "    " (lost for words).

Burt (or the ones that can, if possible):

I see in:

https://apps.oscommerce.com/

When I go to:

https://apps.oscommerce.com/c=languages

The results are sorted by date (descending), but when I search:

https://apps.oscommerce.com/q=spanish

The results are showed in a random (?) or at least not in descending date.

Same when I'm loking for idiots or smarts:

https://apps.oscommerce.com/Profile&19108-demitry

It's there a way that someone will change a little the queries to avoid a lot of headache both for users and later, in the forum,  for the suffered volunteers, when the users ask for help about contributions or outdated or wrongly chosen?

I'm not familiar with 3.X. I think that the 3.X-web-oscommerce-site is in github. If you think that is a good idea I would like to try to find where you can change the queries to solve this issue (feature?) :laugh:

11 minutes ago, Antonio Garcia said:

Say again ?  As I did not really understand well any of what you just said. 

In any case, email your complaints about that section of the osCommerce site to HPDL.

7 minutes ago, wHiTeHaT said:

Suggestions?

For the template output, they are usually more like this.
Note the .css selector which is the exact same as the cm_ module but with - (hyphen) instead of _ (undescore)

<div class="col-sm-<?php echo $content_width; ?> cm-pi-gary">
  STUFF HERE
</div>

For the tpl_, basename(__FILE__) would be cool...eg at https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/blob/master/includes/modules/content/index/cm_i_title.php#L41

So in this example;

• /includes/modules/content/product_info/cm_pi_gary.php
  • /includes/modules/content/product_info/templates/tpl_cm_pi_gary.php
    this with .css selector as cm-pi-gary
  • /includes/languages/english/modules/content/product_info/cm_pi_gary.php

I think that would be a minute less work for the eventual end user.  Thoughts?

20 minutes ago, burt said:

I dont' really care either as the harder it is to find crap addon

100% agree with you. The form must try to show the 'best' ones (may be yesterday someone upload a crap contribution but 8 days ago raiwa did another bether one but his contribution is not in a prominent place, in the top of the page...).

https://apps.oscommerce.com/q=modular

When

https://apps.oscommerce.com

shows a list by 'Relevancy' it points to a wrong result. I think.

3 minutes ago, Antonio Garcia said:

shows a list by 'Relevancy' it points to a wrong result. I think.

Email your complaint to HPDL and hope he reads it and acts on it at some point in the future.

Use a name "henry Test"...

In the template the .css selector goes in as cm-pi-henry_Test (lower case with all hypens would be cool)

In the main file it may be nice to have class cm_henry_test (all lowercase) instead of class cm_henry_Test (camelcase)

These things are not important, just an cherry on the cake. 

20 hours ago, burt said:

If there are 7000 add-ons, there are probably 6500+ too many (duplicate, old versions, etc.). It becomes overwhelming trying to find something useful. There should be a ruthless pruning of the add-ons catalog, to separate by applicable base version, what actually works, what is reasonably well coded, what is supported at all, what's not duplicate, etc. A huge task at this point -- is it even possible? Certainly it's beyond the capacity of one or two people. Add to that the need for a better search mechanism so you can actually find what you're looking for (e.g., add tags, more than one word of search terms).

7000 add-ons is not a positive thing to advertise. It's more likely to scare off potential users.

In almost every review or blog I have seen regarding osCommerce the number of add-ons has always been seen as a plus. I have never come across a reviewer that has said don't pick osCommerce its got too many add-ons. Has anyone else?

What is considered out of date and no good by one person may be essential to another. A few months ago all my 2.2 sites were using add-ons written many many years ago which I am sure some would consider outdated and poor quality. However they worked and when required I either updated them myself or paid to have them updated.

Yes the add-ons could do with better organization and perhaps even an archive, but they are defiantly a Plus for osCommerce.

22 hours ago, MrPhil said:

7000 add-ons is not a positive thing to advertise. It's more likely to scare off potential users.

Agree.  The whole addons system need a massive overhaul, probably including dropping all the existing ones and starting again from zero.

57 minutes ago, justcatering said:

However they worked and when required I either updated them myself or paid to have them updated.

Did you then give these updated addons back for community use as updated versions.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

The issue here is not the number or if they are properly written (specially is there are no place where you can find the 'keys' how to programing).

I think that the problem is that you need be a ninja or be lucky when find your right contribution/app. I noted previously... You need an extra work searching for forums and may be you will find no the good goal.

I saw that some contributions have issues, that someone writes in a post a solution, but it's not translated to the download page...

Some of GOOD coders make 'contributions' (not only experiments) in github (some very interesting) but they are lost unless you read almost all the post here...:blink:

What about 'partials' updates? I know that is a personal feeling but I HATE when someone upload a file that solves an issue (not the full pack), latter other that add another file, a third that amend the first one (not full pack)... Almost nobody may know if all the improvements may crash the contribution or not...

Every one of us have different technical background, some are only shopowners, others only coder, the majority a mix in different proportions of code/shop.

One can help to the community making an humble and rudimentary F.A.Q. that work. Ok, you need edit a php file every time you need to change something in the language (well the same for the REST ot the language definitions...), another can do more complex apps that allow editon in php files or others making a marketplace in a week.

We need ALL of these people trying to keep this alive! (please read this with the music attached)

Anyway, after this patriotic soflama, may be it should be a good idea if we create a kind of help with the contributions.

May be a github listing the ones that work with 2.2(frankensteiners), 2.3, 2.3BS, 2.4... 3.0

Someone push a conmit, then the contribution (with link both to apps page / forum) is added to the list.

If someone found that 'dont work', another push asking for bug.

If someone found that works in this version, push a conmit saying that works.

* My Beautifull F.A.Q.  - for 2.3BS - last updated 5-5-18 - 100% of the 10 users says that it works!
* Login with Netscape  - for 2.4 - last updated 7-5-45 - 10% of the 100 users says that is works!

Github, a public spreadsheet in google docs... a way to see and check..

Latter, if it is possible a post sticked somewhere in the forum with the link and telling to ALL the people the procedure for publish, vote, search, etc...

Yes, I KNOW, may be a lot of work...

51 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

Did you then give these updated addons back for community use as updated versions.

Yes any I paid for and developer was happy to post as free had my blessing. All my old 2.2a sites were done by a developer and paid for. Even now on BS I have allowed paid for add-ons to be posted free for community and why wouldn't I if developer is happy to do it I have no issue with that?

Now any ugly core code hacks I had to do to keep 2.2a running are not in add-ons as they would not be of any use to anyone and would probably be ridiculed.

I have even done some simple add-ons for EdgeBS all posted free, again probably not going to win any prizes, but the whole point of the forum is to get people involved, or do you want it to be the preserve of a few elite?

The more people we get doing add-ons the better, welcome them all the good the bad and the ugly :) with time people will learn, improve and make progress.

Just now, justcatering said:

The more people we get doing add-ons the better, welcome them all the good the bad and the ugly :) with time people will learn, improve and make progress.

This Team Member only wants Good uploaded.  No Bad, no Ugly.

Bad and Ugly, is bad and ugly for the shopowner trying to use it, and by extension bad and ugly for osCommerce.

Archived