• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrade, or change cart?

ArtcoInc

osCom was created for geeks to geeks. For every single change must edit core files (almost until 2.3.4.BS / 2.4 era). We, the geeks remaining here, like (suffer) doing it.

One of the problems (apart of the code) is the lack of adaptation of the new trends and of course that nobody in the staff are thinking in the customers:

- Lack of documentation where people can learn how osCom works. No place where (new?) coders may learn. No place where (new?) customers can do easy configurations. I cry every time I read worldpress doc's...

- Foolishness because a few of you had a good work, with a lot of your time & effors a GOOD improvement in the osCom universe and it is NOT in the download page. Everyday some innocent make a WRONG download of an outdated e-cart, then asking to the forum... What a waste of time!

- No official marketplace where people like burt and the few good people here, can earn a little money making free and paid contributions.

- No way to create templates where 'designers' can be attracted here.

- No 'magic' button (well, not so magic if ALMOST ALL of the 'competitors' have it) for installations of contributions / new core ver (but 2.4, I know).

- No care about international people. A pain if you need a updates version of a language apart the English (in the past, some volunteers do it). You AGAIN need to be a guru to find in the app's page a, sure, outdated version. No way to edit a language file without the need to learn how use ftp, an IDE, care of double quotes, etc, etc).

- No a smart creation of a 'business' as shoptify does (offering to the vaguest a hosting where only be concerned about the sales, not about coding, again developers can earn a little money) or at least a way to offert 'professional help' to people that wants/need to pay for it.

Coders like make changes. Shopowners no. Coders make code. Shopowners try to sell with a free cart.

All the software need to be updated, a lot of times may have traumatic changes that break compatibility but, seeing the gaps in 3.0 / 2.4 whit no a easy way to upgrade, I know that in osCom NO ONE of the coder side was thinking in their 'customers' when coding.

The prisoner of Zenda :laugh:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, wHiTeHaT said:

Why you say that?

First to all I DON'T want to create a kind of war "coders - shopowners",
... you (from my point of view) are not 'staff' as the rest of Team group (I don't want that someone from Team group be offended for my angry coments)
... and I only try to give you my personal feelings. May be today I see al grey... sorry for that! :sad:

I try to recapitulate the complains that I read in the forum from the past (mainly I agree with it):

- osCom 3 0 => almost done, not complete. A lot of work by coders made with no reward to him. This code is dead from years... ... & no interest from shop-owners because they don't know how upgrade and don't know if it works well. So I see that there are 'code for fun' (good, of course!). The time tell that almost nobody use it (a better code, but...). It seems as someone made a spaceship without ladder...

image.png.69953496c52efdeed5663e61e08330d9.png

- osCom 2.4 => first attemp, later abandoned, latter again coding... but also people tell that's it's incomplete (burt ask for your 'products class', and another talk that attributes is not finished). Of course, NO compatibility with previous versions, no clear way to update. How many contributions are made for 2.4???  It seems that coders don't care because OR no interest for shop-owners (2.4 is good, the 'future', no?) OR simply don't have fun doing it. Again a beautifull castle where people outide can't enter into it.

image.png.7bc3c833299c93101c19158607fe2606.png

osCom 2.3.4BS => made with a lot of work / time / discussion made by some TEAM members involved (and a lot of good people, trying help) and then? This it's not in a prominent place where be easy be donwloaded. I can't add the famous 'big button' to the index.php of oscommerce.com. Only I can it put in my signature... As I said, people download a WRONG package, later problems and people like you (or some volunteers, thanks BrockleyJohn & others) need to remain a million of times that the 'official' was good some years ago but today is not the right version. Do you think that 'The staff' respect the work made by burt, you and a few more people (both of you from Team group)? Can you imagine the 'current' version of woocommerce only available in the signature of some users?

Can you find (good/comprensible) documentation about 3.0, 2.4 or even 2.3 series here? Do you think that, if there are almos NO information how oscommerce works is because shop-owners don't need or may be because after 'complete' the code, "there is no need to create a documentation" that explain the changes? Even new coders need it. A place where see it whitout the obligation to be a kind of ninja searching for forums or criptic links in oscommerce...

The problem is Halard? It seems that he left us Valentine's Day... With no promise about 'resurection' or return for the 'end of times'... He asked for "osCommerce Ambassador for life", a few tried to help (we 'like' oscommerce)... and then? No parties, no a single message telling that I earn a free holiday trip in Laponia, etc. I only want / hope he is well without problems. I only would like to ask Harald tell you or burt or the others, "I want let my empire to the best". If not, we will stand here (or left 'our house' for a lot of time) feelling a little confused.

image.png.5c601c25909aac3cd304c4467e6a3d71.png

The problem is the Team group? Where I can find what is the coordination between team group? How many are active? Can you tell me when / how many times you meet? What was the last time? What is the matters that you agree? I know that some will be discret/secret but the rest of us are waiting for the next steep. I can see if ubuntu will do this or that, or wordpress will implement in next version X a page editor, or Magento will add in next update 1000 new php files to print a single 'Hello Word'. Where I can read something like that in oscommerce? Why not a clear roadmap?

Are you agree with next Burt comment?

On 14/4/2018 at 12:01 PM, burt said:

It's certainly a pity that we could not all have worked towards a common goal :wacko:

I agree with it, but I feeel a litle disilusioned because this comment comes from the Team of this... Now, time to goto window and see the sunset...

If i don't remember incorrectly, there were alot of critique against V3 and the first v2.4 in that they were so very different from existing oscommerce versions.  And there were alot of "public" outcry/worry on the forums about that and it seemed alot of pressure against Harald to rather maintain the old code and make a new version based more closely on that.

One could speculate that this resistance and lack of appreciation to his efforts to make a much more modern codebase, might have caused him to loose some interest in osc.

1 hour ago, burt said:

Complete and utter bullshit.

YES!!! 100% agree with you. It's time to beg your pardon!

I'm a little idiot when I says this and  in the same time saying :

15 hours ago, Antonio Garcia said:

later problems and people like you (or some volunteers, thanks BrockleyJohn & others)

burt ask for your 'products class', and another talk that attributes is not finished

osCom 2.3.4BS => made with a lot of work / time / discussion made by some TEAM members involved (and a lot of good people, trying help)

The gap from 2.2ms => 3.0 was huge. If nobody try to create a bridge from one to other, the people can go from 2.2 to 3.0, etc.

Same from 2.2 => 2.3.X or  2.3 => 2.4. 2.4 break compatibility of 2.3 contributions? If yes, why create small new versions that nobody can use easily?

People complains with the new versions, why? No easy way to update.

The goal is coding or create a tool for people (that may be can pay for it or not)?

Firefox, wordpress, windows, ubuntu, ..... all you can install and later make an update with no worries about js, ftp, IDE, etc.

Firefox, wordpress, windows, ubuntu, ..... same for add 'features'. Can you imagine edit the register in windows manually when you install openOfice?

Why we can't do the same here?

I try to find an explanation: we are geeks that 'like' to code. The mayority of possible customers don't think the same.

osC was the first ecommerce cart, free, with promissing future. Later others start behind osCom... but this is not the same that Achilles and the turtle...

image.png.b63b99a0211a341df0ad662b1df86a17.png

May be we only must accept this and not ask for things that osC never did and may be never will do.

For this and others considerations, I think, we are here asking here if update (not easy for everione) or change of cart, right?

https://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/375773-so-what-happend-to-oscom-3/

"From April we are going to:

Be active in the community to help developers understand the framework and store owners its user features

Update remaining Applications and Modules that were not finalized for the v3.0 release

Provide a database import tool for existing v2.2RC2, v2.3.1 and v3.0A5 users

Start a localization site for translators to use and build language translation packages

Document v3.0 framework and user features

Finalize MS SQL Server database abstraction queries

Extend the CoreUpdate Application to also support installed Add-Ons

Allow Phar packaged Add-Ons to be tested without the need to install them first

Continually improve existing features and introduce exciting new features"

The text is NOT mine. I only cup & paste...:wacko:

46 minutes ago, Antonio Garcia said:

I only cup & paste...

Yes.  

Every single piece of code that YOU use that is the Edge Core, is first written for MY customers. 

Instead of telling us how osC is and has been run, and how the documentation is non-existent etc...you should be kneeling on the ground and thanking those customers that you have a responsive osCommerce shop.

@Antonio Garcia Imagine there would be a official marketplace where developers could offer professional modules.. and.. they would offer updated versions of their modules for updated versions of oscommerce. 
would you buy the updated versions of the needed modules to move from one oscommerce version to another? 
i would, but my problem is, that i have created alot of code myself and did not document that very well. Ok, with Oscommerce 2.2 you had no other chance as to change core code almost everytime you would use a contribution. But even if i did document the changes that have been made, it would still and is alot of work to get all functionality back when moving to 2.3.4.1BS for example.

And thats what i have seen in 2.3.4BS, that for the first time, even for hobby developers, it is possible to do quite alot with modules without changing core code. But this took and takes time. To understand how 2.3.4BS is doing things. And now that i am finally almost finished acomplishing what i could do with my rusty old 2.2MS2 (updated to UTF8 etc), i have a slightly feeling that the BS Version is going to be abandoned as soon as it is finished.
To me, since the BS Version started, that was the new Oscommerce to me. I have never looked into what is going on with a 2.4 or 3.0 as this was all in development and alpha state and i had no idea if it would ever come to life.

So, years after 2.3.4BS started i am still working on keeping it up2date by just following the changes that are "merged" at github. At least i am trying to, since i have no idea how it is done the right way with github. What i do, and i know this is not the way to keep updated the easy way, is looking what has been changed and using Beyong Compare if necessary. Beside that i had to learn about php composer, to make it possible to use external libraries and to make things like phonenumber validating with libphonenumber and making verification calls using twilio, using a pdf library to offer downloadable pdf invoices or integrating the new maxmind api for fraud scoring into 2.3.4BS. Still need a system that checks other fraud stuff, like total order amount over ip/account/etc etc.
All that i have in my old and rusty 2.2MS2. Made it possible there over the years with much "blood, sweat and tears".

So when 2.3.4BS started i decided to jump on it with my little skills and try to bring what i have had with 2.2MS2 into 2.3.4BS. still not completly finished yet.
In the meantime google is almost killing my old shop that is still running due to all the changes to their index and mobile first etc.

So, even if i am not yet ready to jump over to 2.3.4BS i am extremely thankful that Garry and many others took it into their hands and created Oscommerce 2.3.4BS. i am an "old dog" and it is getting harder to learn new tricks ;) but what i know a little is Oscommerce and i decided to keep it that way. I like to be able to make changes to my shop myself. At least as far as possible. And i needed to make those changes, as most shopsystems did not have what i needed for my shop back then. I am sure, i would have been lost with many other shopsystems and would have not been able to make changes there like i do with Oscommerce. Over the years i learned a little php and oscommerce. that is what i can handle.

I am thankful for any developer who is giving his time and effort to offer a better Oscommerce or new modules to the community. i am thankful for Garys xxdays of code and i wish there would be a Gary store (or a marketplace in general) with all his cool stuff, so more people would buy from him. I am thankful for every developer who helped make 2.3.4.1BS a responsive reality! And i am thankful that Harald made the old 2.2 and all following versions as well as the payment modules and stuff he created.

So, the Question is. Why did you choose Oscommerce? Why do you still choose Oscommerce 2.3.4BS? And is Oscommerce still a shopsystem with a bright future where developers can make a living and customers/shopowners find what they need and can run a succesful shop? 

2 minutes ago, Stephan Gebbers said:

i have a slightly feeling that the BS Version is going to be abandoned as soon as it is finished

Let me say something about this.

I intend to release a "final".  Very soon.  Just a few bugfixes to go to do with php7.  After that there will be no help (from me) on this forum, not for bugfixes, not for general advice, not for nothing. 

Those good guy shopowners who have supported my efforts in the last four years will still get help but it will not be at this forum (you are one of these guys). 
Those shopowners who have just stood on the side while the good guys helped out...will be getting as much help as they have given;  none.

1 hour ago, burt said:

Yes.  

Every single piece of code that YOU use that is the Edge Core, is first written for MY customers. 

Instead of telling us how osC is and has been run, and how the documentation is non-existent etc...you should be kneeling on the ground and thanking those customers that you have a responsive osCommerce shop.

Sorry, I don't use 2.3.4BS, but it does not matter, I think.

Burt, I need to try AGAIN telling you that you did a good work doing 2.3.4BS???

if you did mainly for YOUR customers, perfect!

if you shared to the rest of the word, perfect!

but may you explain me if it's a good praxis that A TEAM MEMBER creates an .sql script to update 2.3.4 to 2.3.4BS that are in a obscure link OUTSIDE osCom?1?

do you think that is a good praxis that the version that we SHOULD use is almost hidden but the 'official' (not recommended to be used) are for download here?!?

Is just? smart? It help to new users?

... and for the old users, as me, as Stephan Gebbers?

Well, Stephan explain why TODAY he can't run the 2.3.4BS. May be is his fault (or my fault) and is not related that a 'single' update for him means a lot of work or a lot of doubts.

... more work that if he goes to woocommerce & installs a import pluging from osc => woocommerce.

So, WHY we stay here?!?

Well, I saw 'my history' in the one that Stephan Gebbers told.

I only try explain that I thinking in a split from osCom.... but I stay here (yes, as a grumpy old man).

19 minutes ago, Antonio Garcia said:

So, WHY we stay here?!?

Probably just to moan, like a grumpy old man, hanging on to words said 5/6/7/10 years ago. 

You want forward movement; Why have you not done nothing to help that? 
Don't bother answering, it is a question just to make you think.

15 minutes ago, burt said:

Probably just to moan, like a grumpy old man, hanging on to words said 5/6/7/10 years ago. 

You want forward movement; Why have you not done nothing to help that? 
Don't bother answering, it is a question just to make you think.

Well, don't need to you read it. This post is to talk about the disjunctive of change or update, not to claim me anything or claim to YOU anything. I don't point to you as a 'responsable' or this mess.

I explained my history (same as Stephan Gebbers) and noted my personal explanation. May be I'm wrong.

Nobody from firefox or ubuntu or worldpress ask me why don't help to others.

Burt, yes I thinking it at....  and I told what I think. No try to make ofense to anybody.

btw: What can someone do, who can not code in php but is interessted in Oscommerce moving forward? If you want to be of use from a developer stance, you would need to run a seperate webserver etc and have been able to use github to at least test new code. but i think thats quite difficult for a non coder.
So most people would only be able to help by buying modules/services and maybe be helpfull in the forum if possible. I am hanging around as much as possible on Oscommerce discord btw. trying to help if i can (people ask funny questions there.. ;) )

well, Oscommerce 2.3.4.1BS will be good for some years i guess. Look how long 2.2MS2 was running :) So, it's great to have that, now.
i think it is up to us to build/share some modules around it (if you can), help people in the forums, help developers to make a living by buying their modules and services, to eventually attract more new users/shopowners and keep the flame alive. :)

@Antonio Garcia and others. Its very easy to sit on these forums and criticize what others have done, and not actually support the code. You openly admit that you are using old defunct code, and that you haven't updated to the latest official version, let alone the BS community version. Its because of people like you, that some members of this forum are changing their outlook on the OScommerce project, and moving away.

If you really need answers to your questions about the official version and the direction it is going, you should ask the man in charge. You will not get an answer, as many of us have been waiting for over 7 years for one. Before you wind up and annoy anyone else, think before posting on this and other forums. You will learn that your opinion does not matter to those that care about this project. If you want to help the Team, volunteer to the people in charge and help where help is needed, and a lot of help is needed. Failing that shut up and accept what you get if you get anything.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

14steve14 & Stephan Gebbers:

Only an example:

How many times you, with your invaluable / infinite patience, are replied A MILLION of times the SAME question?

Are wrong the problems that I listed here or it's wrong that someone like me listed them?

My point of view is that the important thing is the Problem not the person that says that "here we have a problem".

image.png.6d5ef3c29a97c57f30684fa6fdcaf53d.png

By the way, you are doing an incalculable contribution in the osC enviroment, of course but unfortunately I think that your help/dedication CAN'T help in the issues that I told.

By the way, may I tell that, for example, Tesla has "theirs" problems ? I talking about someone that have not driving license...:laugh:

before we used community-supported responsive 2.3.4 BS Edge. some one told us 
"
osCommerce is outdated. If this business owner wishes to continue his eCommerce business in next few years, it would be a good idea to replace osCommerce with a solution that has cleaner future." and thats so true
and we start to looking around for another cart . but when the community-supported responsive 2.3.4 BS Edge  build and created by @burt   :thumbsup:  we get hope back in osCommerce  just because of  community-supported responsive 2.3.4 BS . and we wished that everyone from  coder, dev, shop owner, help @burt and community-supported responsive 2.3.4 BS to be a official  osCommerce or at least to let the BS community version alone and not be against it..

long life community-supported responsive 2.3.4 BS

@burt Thank you once again for all your hard work.

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here .

On 5/8/2018 at 2:39 PM, activeebiz said:

If i don't remember incorrectly, there were alot of critique against V3 and the first v2.4 in that they were so very different from existing oscommerce versions.  And there were alot of "public" outcry/worry on the forums about that and it seemed alot of pressure against Harald to rather maintain the old code and make a new version based more closely on that.

One could speculate that this resistance and lack of appreciation to his efforts to make a much more modern codebase, might have caused him to loose some interest in osc.

That would be rather untypical for Harald considering his way of doing things in the past and present.
He usually is kinda stubborn and does things his way and no one can convince him otherwise, not even team/core members. The current stand of osC shows that.

People are always afraid of change or new things because it is new and unknown at that point. It was same with the community version. Not everybody was convinced at the very beginning that implementing bootstrap by Gary was the right way forward. But the result today tells a different story. Thanks to that work done to that community version osC is still somewhat present. Why? Because Gary didn't care for every single persons opinion especially not the ones that did not support any of the work done thus far.

Harald should have jumped on that community edition train and supported it 100% and even add an official download link to the osc page. But as already mentioned he like to do things his way at his time table.
Another thing that should have been done long time ago is an apps market place where the professional coders and osC can earn some money to keep the project going. Advertising osC as free with over 7000 free apps is simply wrong.

Something else that I think should strongly be prevented are those smart ass answers from Team members, admins and mods in the German forum. When someone asks if osC 2.2 can be run on PHP7 they usually answer with "yes sure with a lot of work bla, bla, bla..." that is not the answer osC core members or team members should give. They should urge people to change/upgrade to the latest version. I mean sure you can run Windows 98 on latest PCs but why should you? It seems that a lot German shop owners still use old, deprecated 2.2 versions and still seek help for it in the forum which should not be given anymore. That is counterproductive.

...just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, Tsimi said:

Another thing that should have been done long time ago is an apps market place where the professional coders and osC can earn some money to keep the project going. Advertising osC as free with over 7000 free apps is simply wrong.

It wouldnt be so bad if all of the 7000+ addons actually worked with the latest release. Half of them never worked properly from the word go on the version they were designed for.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

23 hours ago, burt said:

Let me say something about this.

I intend to release a "final".  Very soon.  Just a few bugfixes to go to do with php7.  After that there will be no help (from me) on this forum, not for bugfixes, not for general advice, not for nothing. 

Those good guy shopowners who have supported my efforts in the last four years will still get help but it will not be at this forum (you are one of these guys). 
Those shopowners who have just stood on the side while the good guys helped out...will be getting as much help as they have given;  none.

Your position is full justified having seen the lack of official support for your efforts. However just pulling up the drawbridge after all the work you have put in is sad if understandable.

I would ask that you keep engaging with the wider community of Edge users in the forum as I am sure more and more store owners will take up Edge and hopefully will start to engage.

6 hours ago, 14steve14 said:

It wouldnt be so bad if all of the 7000+ addons actually worked with the latest release. Half of them never worked properly from the word go on the version they were designed for.

Even when making things modular I still see addons uploaded where the addon maker is changing the module.  Instead of making a whole new module and saying "turn off the core module, upload and turn on my module".    It's a farce.

Latest idiot:  https://apps.oscommerce.com/HDvzH&grid-list-view-setting-bs-edge-v1-0

33 minutes ago, burt said:

Latest idiot

:biggrin:

.... but in his defence ... Maybe this is also because of lack of documentation ... Addon makers can very well be "good will" coders / amateurs ... who struggle through the code and don't really understand the BIG PICTURE ....

@burt

At least he managed to upload a few files. There are people just posting codes in the app description with a blank package.

Or worse, people asking for support using the app description.

2 minutes ago, Tsimi said:

@burt

At least he managed to upload a few files. There are people just posting codes in the app description with a blank package.

Or worse, people asking for support using the app description.

shopowner makes the change.
core [let's say this particular file he changed] gets updated.
shopowner updates core appropriately

Result;

shopowner now wonders why that cool little feature he did have...is gone.
now he posts to the forum for help
whoever tries to help (because it aint gonna be the idiot uploader) has no idea

Damn.  I see what you are saying, but WTF - it would take all of 5 minutes to create a module that is completely separate. 

Archived