• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrade, or change cart?

ArtcoInc

24 minutes ago, burt said:

This Team Member only wants Good uploaded.  No Bad, no Ugly.

Bad and Ugly, is bad and ugly for the shopowner trying to use it, and by extension bad and ugly for osCommerce.

Well this store owner is very grateful to all the members, team or not who took the time and effort to make and post addons no matter if they may now considered good, bad or ugly. It takes all sorts to make a community and it takes every one involved to keep a community going.

Thank you everyone and keep posting.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, justcatering said:

Well this store owner is very grateful to all the members, team or not who took the time and effort to make and post addons no matter if they may now considered good, bad or ugly. It takes all sorts to make a community and it takes every one involved to keep a community going.

Thank you everyone and keep posting.

I hate to agree with this out loud... But I too as a shopowner have used many number of these $hitty addons.... why, despite the poor execution, the "idea" was good.

And some of those same good ideas have now been turned into well coded modular addons that do now fit the current "community" modular ethos (of no core changes).

The point is that yes, OsC has 7,000 addons... and many (most) of those 7,000 addon are not well coded. HOWEVER, as a shopowner there are maybe 4,000 or 5,000 GREAT ideas! This is a great resource! And the ideas that have NOT yet been rework into modular addons hopeful now will - to work with the next versions and app store.

As a secondary point, almost all those same ideas have now been used, and reworked, into addons for Shopify.... See where I'm going with this?

The great resource OsC has provided the ecom world, has been used against OsC to now dominate the world.... it is sad, but true.

3 minutes ago, greasemonkey said:

The great resource OsC has provided the ecom world, has been used against OsC to now dominate the world.... it is sad, but true.

Agree - I have said before Osc is the mother of all shopping carts ...

6 minutes ago, greasemonkey said:

Time to fight back?

3 minutes ago, justcatering said:

lets make edge super usable with an awesome selection of add-ons that just work.

Edge Is super usable ... But core code is at the end of its life cycle ... We need to move on ... Finish 2.4  of Finish  3.0 or whatever ...

18 minutes ago, azpro said:

Edge Is super usable ... But core code is at the end of its life cycle ... We need to move on ... Finish 2.4  of Finish  3.0 or whatever ...

I’m sure you are right but this is a typical example of how people have different views. Edge is wonderful but only becomes super usable with key addons.

To a typical store owner who has no code experience he will see little difference out of the box! Its only when you see how easy it is to apply addons ( those that are available) does it get to the next level.

Its only when you add many of Gary’s 28d addons and other key addons do you get to super usable, from a store owners point of view.:thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, justcatering said:

Its only when you add many of Gary’s 28d addons and other key addons do you get to super usable, from a store owners point of view

Absolutely - that's why I (among others) asked / urged / advised shopowners more than once "to buy these super simple yet very effective add-ons" of Gary @burt  ... Use it or buy it just to support him ... Unfortunately - not toooo many followed that advise ... That having said ... whatever we think / we like it or not .... 2.3BS IS FINAL ... The Bugweek is over - alltough not toooooo much bugs were reported .. there probably are still bugs. ... BUT IT IS FINAL - DONE !! It is good and can be used - but IT IS FINAL ... really :biggrin:

So we need to move on!

One more thing

One more thing ... I still get goosebumps if i hear that .. I look back to the best Sales Pitch ever from time to time ... Steve we miss you!

"We have one click template install - We have the fastest cart - And one more thing .. The new Osc has an API foundation to talk to all major accounting/logistics/payments providers ....."  That is what I would like to hear!

So we can only make it better if we team up ... Those hardcore Osc users still around here on the forum - need to accept we MUST move on ... That's the only way to make it better IMHO

26 minutes ago, azpro said:

Absolutely - that's why I (among others) asked / urged / advised shopowners more than once "to buy these super simple yet very effective add-ons" of Gary @burt  ... Use it or buy it just to support him ... Unfortunately - not toooo many followed that advise ... That having said ... whatever we think / we like it or not .... 2.3BS IS FINAL ... The Bugweek is over - alltough not toooooo much bugs were reported .. there probably are still bugs. ... BUT IT IS FINAL - DONE !! It is good and can be used - but IT IS FINAL ... really :biggrin:

So we need to move on!

I would hazard a guess that the reason many shipowners are not buying the addons is not that they don't want to buy! Its probably more to do with the fact that very few have opted to use Edge.

I can tell you from my experience when reviewing what to use to replace my 2.2a sites. When approaching developers ( including Partners) the response was its high risk not finished. One partner even said he would not use it as it was not official. His view was 2.3 with responsive template could do everything required so was no point in using unofficial Edge.

This was also true of many hosting company's as they would only install official version. So I would conclude that the actual user base of live Edge stores is probably very small. Hopefully once final is released and if it gets some official support more store owners will feel more confident in migrating to it. That hopefully will result in better take up of addons.:smile:

20 minutes ago, justcatering said:

I would hazard a guess that the reason many shipowners are not buying the addons is not that they don't want to buy! Its probably more to do with the fact that very few have opted to use Edge.

I can tell you from my experience when reviewing what to use to replace my 2.2a sites. When approaching developers ( including Partners) the response was its high risk not finished. One partner even said he would not use it as it was not official. His view was 2.3 with responsive template could do everything required so was no point in using unofficial Edge.

This was also true of many hosting company's as they would only install official version. So I would conclude that the actual user base of live Edge stores is probably very small. Hopefully once final is released and if it gets some official support more store owners will feel more confident in migrating to it. That hopefully will result in better take up of addons.:smile:

Zahid - you are totally right but this has been discussed over and over again ... @Harald Ponce de Leon probably has his reasons not to make BS official  - we just don't know because Harald doe not talk back.

So ... we must move on!

2 minutes ago, azpro said:

Zahid - you are totally right but this has been discussed over and over again ... @Harald Ponce de Leon probably has his reasons not to make BS official  - we just don't know because Harald doe not talk back.

So ... we must move on!

Thats the best thing. Move on, find something else and support a system that is bothered. HPDL has been hammered enough on these forums, so everything that needs to be said has been said. Its his bat, and his ball, and if he doesnt want to play, he doesnt have to.  Hopefully what few coders remain here can do something to keep the project moving forwards, but I doubt that will happen as there are to many egos, and too many differing ideas.  What ever does eventually happen, I hope it works, but as there has been over 6 years to develop nothing, then you have to use what is available and thats the BS version.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

I support you @wHiTeHaT  :thumbsup::thumbsup:

In fact .. I support each and every one of the happy coders / devs ... as long as we progress!

But we need to find a modus to keep coding without bashing eachother .. Have a Git where all new ideas / developments can be watched - but all of us also need to be open for feedback ... positive and negative .. Sometimes a development is just a jump too far ... or is not needed in the core and should be further developed as an App.... And sometimes development is too abstract without further documentation so a vast number of people don't understand why it is needed.

Sometimes a development is great and should be core ... or better .. the core needs just one line (eg hooks) to facillitate this new App / development.

It can all happen and we should accept the (groups ??? ) decission.

I think we are all looking to move forward just with slightly different objectives. Store owners like me want to see stability. A stable code base that is supported and usable for a number of years which we can use with confidence. This will hopefully encourage better migration. I think Gary has given that to us with Edge.

From a coding point of view you may want to wipe the slate clean and start again. That's fine and may be the only long term solution and may work. I don't know I have not been involved in the politics of osCommers at all. As a store owner its not for me to judge the merits or not of the way the team is run by Harold.

Coming from a R&D back ground I can tell you every team has to deal with egos and problems, we just have to accept that. In many cases those egos are the very source of ideas and solutions. Oh and you can never have too many good ideas.

I guess it all depends if you see the glass as half full or half empty. Me I like to look on the bright side always half full. As long as there are people like us who care ( agreeing or not ) I’m sure we will find a way forward.

5 hours ago, justcatering said:

In almost every review or blog I have seen regarding osCommerce the number of add-ons has always been seen as a plus.

I see "7000 Add-ons!" and three things immediately come to mind:

1. Holy **** there's so much stuff to wade through! This is going to be an agonizing amount of work to find useful things. I wonder if the library is well organized? If it isn't, I'm outta here.
  2. I'll bet there's a lot of old cruft in there, left there to inflate the count. Most of it is probably just a minor tweak to something else.
  3. Is the basic out-of-the-box system so bare bones that it needs lots of add-ons to function and be useful? I want something useful as soon as I unwrap it.

Lots of add-ons is a red flag for me.

1 hour ago, justcatering said:

Disappointing to hear that some Developers are still not supportive.  

I can guess who the one was who said "would not use it as 2.3 has everything required" :wacko:

13 minutes ago, justcatering said:

Oh and you can never have too many good ideas.

I guess it all depends if you see the glass as half full or half empty.

I'm an engineer. The glass is twice as large as it needs to be.

Perhaps a solution would be to put the really useful stuff in the "front" of the library, and archive the rest of the add-ons, as a repository of "many good ideas" for coders (not for your normal shop owner).

2 minutes ago, MrPhil said:

1. Holy **** there's so much stuff to wade through! This is going to be an agonizing amount of work to find useful things. I wonder if the library is well organized? If it isn't, I'm outta here.
  2. I'll bet there's a lot of old cruft in there, left there to inflate the count. Most of it is probably just a minor tweak to something else.
  3. Is the basic out-of-the-box system so bare bones that it needs lots of add-ons to function and be useful? I want something useful as soon as I unwrap it.

:biggrin: that's why we always listen to the customer first.

3 minutes ago, burt said:

Disappointing to hear that some Developers are still not supportive.  

I can guess who the one was who said "would not use it as 2.3 has everything required" :wacko:

I was shocked at how many were using osCommers but not giving it any credit. Its fine putting a nice template on top but they should acknowledge that they are using osC.

25 minutes ago, justcatering said:

I was shocked at how many were using osCommers but not giving it any credit. Its fine putting a nice template on top but they should acknowledge that they are using osC.

I am too embarrassed to admit that my store uses OSC.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

1 hour ago, MrPhil said:

Perhaps a solution would be to put the really useful stuff in the "front" of the library

Yes, I noted this, I mean, to try to find the best addoms in the top of the page. When you chose 'By relevance' the things become strange...

But it seems that nobody here have the privileges to 'edit' the oscommerce.com site. May be HPDL is the only with the ftp account to do changes. :sad:

If I'm wrong, I would like to suggest:

- Button in the top of the index with this link: https://github.com/gburton/osCommerce-234-bootstrap/archive/master.zip
- Dropdown with '2.3.4.BS' addoms, please
- The staticstics are gone from the new re-design. I vote to re-enter the more downloaded addoms in the last week, month, year. No bulletproof, but can help when try to chose the 'right' addom, best than spend all the evening downloading, seeing code and/or installing, don't work, ah, my mistake, again, no, don't work, goin to the forun, read 124 pages, unninstall, forgot to delete files.... Well the hystory of every day...

osCom is almost 18 years old. Is a "joung" woman that needs go out from their parent's house and see the world. We, as their brothers, cousins, friends or acquaintances (depending of the hard work spend here) need to care of her, ask if she need something and (at least in this moment where their parents are missing) take the responsibility about their development, get new pretty dresses (templates), a new wonder-bra (with good code) and beauty creams (refine/change code). The prettier, more boyfriends at the door (coders that want to code osC and/or shopowners that like take a try with this piece of code). Well a pompous version of what 'open source' should be...

... IF NOT...

We, the ones that we like, goto to Island of the Turtle to drink, to fight and to think about what new galley to attack...

image.png.f10f4c808218ddc4bf52b2418381dd06.png

15 hours ago, MrPhil said:

:smile: clearly some thinks it not so bad as its actualy 8,748 free add-ons :thumbsup::biggrin:

image.png.9533f48dc4b303b87e758626f6c3a38a.png

Archived