Latest News: (loading..)

@BrockleyJohn don't forget the install/oscommerce.sql changes for the index_products...

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

5 minutes ago, wHiTeHaT said:

Keep in mind, pull-request #3 is putted on stage.

But i and many other will going ot be very happy...

It paves the way to url's like:
-index.php?Specials
-index.php?ContactUs
-index.php?ProductsNew

Oh.
I dont want to go down that road.

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

What I want to do is get the Community Version to a "final" place.  I'm thinking; 

index (99% done), product_info (40% done) go modular 
php7.2 shop and admin (100% done, I think)

I've already nuked the bs4 idea, and will leave it at bs3.

After that, it's time for something new.

3 hours ago, wHiTeHaT said:

$request ...............
Admin error-log page?
What do you think @burt @BrockleyJohn ... i would like to work on the class usage in the mean time?

I think we need to come to a consensus regarding the point at which we declare Final.  I don't want to be here 4 years from now...working on Edge. 
Or 4 months, or even 4 weeks...

What are your thoughts for a Final?  Also same question @BrockleyJohn 

Consistency  - explain more ?

For Final, my focus is stuff that is easy and further enables addons without changing core code (although if it's Final, what actually matters on this is ease of installation) ie.

- modularity as already proposed

- extra getContents etc

Plus the techy stuff that's largely covered. Is BS4 too big - or pointless without a considerable rewrite to use it?

I haven't looked at Henry's class stuff yet. On the whole classes are a good thing and lend themselves to adapting but it sounds more like opening a can rather than closing the lid on one. I'd like more time to think that through rather than try and do it in a rush.

For a new install or if your store isn't mobile-friendly, get the community-supported responsive osCommerce (2.3.4.1 CE) here: https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/archive/2341-Frozen.zip

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Bootstrap v4

is not going to happen.  Too much work, not enough Community interest.  

Modularity:

Started on this from Day 1 of the Community Build. 
It's time to get it finished on the pages on which it's been started.
It's not a massive amount of work to get this done.

Classes:

Great, but opens up more work, eg changing coded modules to use classes. 

Personal Viewpoint:

I don't want to be doing any more coding after the end of April.  I really want to close the Community Version and just let people do what they want with it.

@wHiTeHaT Henry, I'm not saying I'm against classes now (yet!) and I share your concern over database hits.

I do take the general point. Modular implementation needs global thinking.

For a new install or if your store isn't mobile-friendly, get the community-supported responsive osCommerce (2.3.4.1 CE) here: https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/archive/2341-Frozen.zip

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

11 minutes ago, wHiTeHaT said:

You not have to code.
You only have to accept/deny the pull request.

:thumbsup:Sounds good.

The best way forward is, I think, to get the module bits done for the rest of index and product_info. 

After this:

Move the calls from db to class.

That way, the modules can be coded up, and all you/I/John will need to do is implement classes in them.

I'm not bothered about any "other stuff" at this point, as I just want to put a lid on this idea of "Edge".
If things are wrong...they can stay wrong.

Thoughts ?

1 hour ago, wHiTeHaT said:

Gary... all the schema stuff can be taken out?
Assuming all go be covered by ht_'s (i really hope that)

Almost impossible to do when it is a list of products...
Can you see a way to do it other than in the module output ?

For product_info...I moved it into a HT module already, but for pages where there is more than 1 product...I have not yet looked at.

Would be difficult to write a HT module (for eg product_listing module) as would not know which products need to be in the HT module [due to how the product_listing module is used].

See what I mean ?

I understand.  You try it.

OP Updated [again].

We may yet get this done for March.

OP updated. Latest update 2.7

OP updated.

Need your view on product_info.php please.

At this moment, the product_info does this;

1. looks up to see if product ID exists
  2. If no:  displays a message "TEXT_PRODUCT_NOT_FOUND" and button back to index.
  3. If yes:  loads product from database, loads modules, page displays.

For #2, would it be better to have it modularised so that it would be simple to (for example) a module that loads other products from the same category.  

41 minutes ago, burt said:

OP updated.

Need your view on product_info.php please.

At this moment, the product_info does this;

1. looks up to see if product ID exists
  2. If no:  displays a message "TEXT_PRODUCT_NOT_FOUND" and button back to index.
  3. If yes:  loads product from database, loads modules, page displays.

For #2, would it be better to have it modularised so that it would be simple to (for example) a module that loads other products from the same category.  

Yes. People quite often want extra statuses like 'discontinued' with a different product page and this makes it possible without changing core.

The check query is actually for the product id with status '1' (unlike the query for the breadcrumbs!)

On 3/14/2018 at 2:36 PM, burt said:

5. getContent calls and Hook calls

• Discussion needed 

Discuss.

1 hour ago, burt said:

Discuss.

Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them :cool:

If you are running the "official" osC 2.3.4 or 2.3.4.1 download, your installation is obsolete! Get the latest community-supported responsive "Frozen" release here

4 minutes ago, ArtcoInc said:

Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them :cool:

I don't think Gary's one for the scatter-gun approach! Where do you think they are needed?

OK, so far so good. 

I have just updated all the "h" headings to a better size, shopside. This was not a part of the original plan, but the implementation of modular product_info ... it looked good. So also done for the rest of the site.

I have just updated the category_tree class to pull more data and invoked it in /includes/application_top.php

Now any module anywhere, so long as it can global "$current_category_id"...can use the class. This saves on database calls. I've updated index_nested to use the class.  There are probably some header_tag modules that could use it, as well as some other places as well...but that's outside my remit.

Next up is to review @BrockleyJohn index_products.

Thanks.

@burt

Sorry I've been trying to follow along with your work here but am currently buried in Easter orders :)

Regarding the hooks and getContent... I like the idea of having a "global" sort of hook in application_top. That way it can take care of all sort of things (ajax calls, and additions to the switch($action)). When you need to add functionality you just have to create and upload your new hook and done.

I also like the idea of turning the checkout pages into content modules. It would make things a lot easier to alter for people.

Matt

Suggestion for hooks:

generic hook registry in each main page or better in application top:

$OSCOM_Hooks->register(strtok($PHP_SELF, '.'));

Requires namespace convention for first hook level: filename of main page without extension.

Second level: add-on using the hook or hook task:

Example:

// POINTS REWARDS BS
    echo $OSCOM_Hooks->call('checkout_confirmation', 'CheckoutConfirmPoints');

Directory: includes/hooks/shop/checkout_confirmation/points.php

class hook_shop_checkout_confirmation_points {
  function listen_CheckoutConfirmPoints() {

@raiwa

What is the problem with general hooks? Why should it be named
directly? I think if we implement hooks than would be better to call by code part logic instead.
Examples:
- before action
- after action
- before form
- in form
- after form
and so on.

What to do is clear in the hook class but its not clear what name could be applied if we implement non-formal names.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

forum name magic is bugggy @burt @raiwa ... what a magic service

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.