• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

can oscommerce do digital downloads?

trekker9876

Yes, that is built-in. You need to do the following:

1.  Enable the Download option in admin->Configuration->Download.
  2. In the Catalog->Product Attributes section, create an option and option value for download.
  3. Add an attribute for the product you want to sell as a download using the above.
  4. Upload the file you want to sell.
  5. Set the weight of the product to 0.
  6. Setup the Order Statuses in Localization. This is important. If they are not set correctly, you may allow downloads without receiving payment.

Once that is setup, place an order for that product to make sure it works. You should see a link on the checkout success page.

If you are not using a newer version of oscommerce,  you will have to take extra steps for step 6.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Does Edge now include all the capability of Super Download Shop, or is that add-on still necessary for maximum security? (preventing D/L without paying, preventing multiple D/Ls, etc.) I see SDS hasn't been updated for quite a while (not since Tom Hayden died), so I'm guessing it's not Edge-compatible at this time.

In one of the 2.3.X releases a download status setting was added to the order statuses. That can be changed in Localization->Order Status. So if that option is not enabled for a status, the download won't be available. So the Download Controller addon is no longer needed. I seem to recall it had a few options that are not in the included package but, as you say, it wouldn't work as it is now so is probably not worth the effort.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

17 hours ago, MrPhil said:

Does Edge now include all the capability of Super Download Shop, or is that add-on still necessary for maximum security? (preventing D/L without paying, preventing multiple D/Ls, etc.) I see SDS hasn't been updated for quite a while (not since Tom Hayden died), so I'm guessing it's not Edge-compatible at this time.

I was told a long time ago that SDS was no longer needed. The hole that was there had been closed apparently. I didnt use any of the additional features such as group downloads so wasnt too bothered by that. I have never had any problems with the BS version as far as I am aware.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

On 10/03/2018 at 7:15 AM, Jack_mcs said:

Yes, that is built-in. You need to do the following:

1.  Enable the Download option in admin->Configuration->Download.
  2. In the Catalog->Product Attributes section, create an option and option value for download.
  3. Add an attribute for the product you want to sell as a download using the above.
  4. Upload the file you want to sell.
  5. Set the weight of the product to 0.
  6. Setup the Order Statuses in Localization. This is important. If they are not set correctly, you may allow downloads without receiving payment.

Once that is setup, place an order for that product to make sure it works. You should see a link on the checkout success page.

If you are not using a newer version of oscommerce,  you will have to take extra steps for step 6.

Thank you very much for all this info.. I have done all this and am trying to test it out now, but I dont want to pay for it, so I switched paypal to sandbox mode and cant log in (paypal says incorrect password) ... anyone know how to proceed?

The sandbox is a pain to deal with and I don't recommend using it. You can use the live account as long as someone else does it since paypal won't let you use your own account. Or just create a new, real, paypal account and use it. Once payment is made, for either method, you can refund the charge. If you still want to use the sandbox, paypal treats that as a real account other than the actual charge isn't made. That means it has to have its own login, unless it is a payflow, and maybe paypal pro, account.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived