• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Website gone strange!

zefeena

The website is doing all sorts of strange things. Customers are being constantly logged out, and the site is freezing all the time.
I am also finding that if I delete an item it doesn't delete, so suspect this is a database issue.

I got in touch with the host and the advice was as below.  I have no idea where to find the file they are talking about, I cannot see anything called that, and why all of a sudden is there a problem, it was fine last week and I haven't touched the coding in years!

any help would be appreciated, thanks

I would suggest to disable the cache.

You need to add in the root directory of the website the following code in the .htaccess file to disable mod security:

<IfModule mod_security.c>
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

Please put in your .htaccess file this code to disable the cache:

<IfModule LiteSpeed>
CacheDisable public /
CacheDisable private /
</IfModule>

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

Your description isn't enough to figure out the problem. Your host seems to think it is a cache issue, which I suppose it could be, but I've never seen a need to do what they are suggesting. "All of a sudden" problems are many times due to an upgrade a host made so I suggest asking them if they have done anything recently, like upgrading php.

Also take a look in the root of your shop to see if there is a file named error_log. If there is, look at it to see the last few errors. That might help identify the problem. If there isn't one and your host uses a control panel that logs errors, you might be able to see it there.

You can try turning off the cache for your shop in admin->Configuration->Cache. Though that is not the cache your host is referring to. If your site doesn't use a url rewriter, you can just rename the roots .htaccess file to something else and test the site to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then your host may be right. If not, then probably not. Be sure to rename the file back once you have tested it.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

it was fine last week and I haven't touched the coding in years!

As Jack said, the host probably upgraded PHP (and probably MySQL, too). How ancient an osC system are you on? The only current system is 2.3.4BS "Edge" -- anything older won't even run on current hosting PHP levels. BTW, what is your host running on, and did they just upgrade from what?

Unfortunately, you can't install any site software just once, and expect it to run forever. Hosts update, and eventually your software will break, as incompatibilities accumulate. You need to make an effort to stay "reasonably" up to date (no more than a year or two behind the latest release).

Also go into your hosting control panel and list all your files and look at their "last modified" timestamps. See if there are any recent changes to files that you can't account for. They could indicate a hack. Old versions of osC (and old PHP versions) are quite vulnerable to hacks.

Archived