• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

brand new oscommerce shop - help

degenerate

Hi guys,

I've finally managed to install osCommerce 2.3.4, which I'm over the moon about due to the fact that I'm brand new at all of this sort of stuff! Sadly, now I'm having a problem changing the colour scheme of my store to what I want.

I've been reading for hours online and understand that I need to edit the stylesheet.css file, however, when I go to do so, it only seems to edit the colours of the ADMIN side of my osCommerce -- not the public store. I read that the stylesheet I should be editing should just be in my catalog directory, but the only stylesheet I have is in catalog/admin/includes. Also, the code within the file is not the same as what I've been reading online, so I'm rather confused. e.g. I was told that by default, the code should look like this:

body {
  background: #fff;
  color: #000;
  margin: 0px;
  font-size: 11px;
  font-family: Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
}

#bodyWrapper {
}

#bodyContent {
}

I have no css file that contains anything of the sort. Instead, I have something that looks like this:

*/

body { font-family: Verdana, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 0.7em; }

/* links */
a { color: #000000; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; }
a:hover { text-decoration: underline; }

a.headerLink { color: #ffffff; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none; }
a.headerLink:hover { text-decoration: underline; }

which, as I said, only appears to edit the admin side of my osCommerce and not my online catalog available to the public.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated so that I may stop feeling, and possibly sounding, like an idiot.

Thank you.

Hi, if there is a user.css file in your catalog folder then you are using a BS version of Oscommerce and that user.css should be the one to edit.

Best regards

Christoph

Hi, 

the user.css is the last one to be loaded after bootstrap.css and custom.css, these both shouldn't be changed. Being loaded at last your definitions made in user.css will overwrite those made in the other ones. So you could e.g. copy some definitions from custom.css to user.css and alter them. If you need to unminify a compressed  css for better understanding there are several websites just google for unminify css.

Best regards

Christoph

Archived