• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Recommendation for a non-developer 2.3.4 to bootstrap

Hi All,  I may end up soliciting professional help here but for now just generally looking for best way to attack this or a strategy to upgrade.  My shop http://www.houseofaberrant.com is running on 2.3.4   I know i'm very late to the party with responsive site and mobile friendly which i'm positive has effected my shop's sales and customer growth. I see so much that this bootstrap and upcoming OSC changes that will help - all super exciting!    

Challenges I've had over the last years applying add-ons or performing regular OSC updates is that my site uses a AZ template (happy to stop using).   

I understand there are two parts the database conversion and the shop itself.  Should I attempt conversion (if possible)  2.3.4 to 2.3.4 responsive / bootstrap Gold/Edge  Or would it be best to start from scratch? 
My site is on PHP 5.4 and host supports ( PHP 5.6.32, MySQL  5.6.32-78.1)  I have about 350 active product listings. 

Thanks in advance!

Tiffany

You definitely should end up on 2.3.4.1BS Edge (responsive), and not Gold, which is several years out of date. I'm not sure what you mean by "conversion" versus starting from scratch. There is no "upgrade" path from non-BS versions (including 2.3.4) -- you have to install from scratch, but you certainly can then bring over all your existing data. In that sense, you're not "starting from scratch" (lose all customers, order data, product entries, etc.), but the code is brand new. You will need to look into what add-ons you have that you want on the new (Edge) store, and see if they exist for Edge, and install them. I'm not familiar with commercial templates for Edge, if any, but there might be some (just make sure they don't overwrite your system back to something pre-Edge!).

On 2/25/2018 at 5:47 PM, MrPhil said:

You definitely should end up on 2.3.4.1BS Edge (responsive), and not Gold, which is several years out of date. I'm not sure what you mean by "conversion" versus starting from scratch. There is no "upgrade" path from non-BS versions (including 2.3.4) -- you have to install from scratch, but you certainly can then bring over all your existing data. In that sense, you're not "starting from scratch" (lose all customers, order data, product entries, etc.), but the code is brand new. You will need to look into what add-ons you have that you want on the new (Edge) store, and see if they exist for Edge, and install them. I'm not familiar with commercial templates for Edge, if any, but there might be some (just make sure they don't overwrite your system back to something pre-Edge!).

Yes when I said conversion i was meaning an upgrade path - so thank you that helps very much!   

Thank you Phil ! 

Archived