• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

We need your help to finalize osC Edge!

Shop owners ... Developers ... osC junkies ... We need your help!

As many of you know, @burt has been instrumental in pushing the community build of osC. We are the community. And right now, @burt needs our help!

@burt does not get paid for his work on the community build! To finance all of his work, he puts out an incredible assortment of modules,  such as his current 28 days bundle. The money he gets from these allow him the time to work on the community build core.

He is very close to wrapping up Edge, making it a fixed base of code, with only future hotfixes as needed. But, he needs our help.

We need about 10 people (shop owners, developers, osC junkies) to buy into the current 28 days bundle here:

This is a great bargain, fantastic modules (just check out what he's released so far!), great code (most require NO core code changes), *plus*, he does offer support and customization!

So please, let's help @burt help us!

(otherwise, he'll have to take a day job <gasp!>, while we all wait for Edge to be finished)

I am one of those who already receive Burt addons.
To be honest, I was skeptical at first because I paid for addons "mystery" since we do not know the addons in advance.
Well I can tell you that I do not regret it!
It's well coded, it's clean, efficient and when needed, Burt is really available.
Sincerely thanks Burt!

with OsC 2.2 since 2006 ...

I bought a house off plan once and that was a great bargain. I did the same with the 28days of code this year. I dont spend so long on these forums these days, and thought it would be a great way to support the only truly good version of oscommerce. I was thinking of becoming a lifelong ambassador of oscomerce but didnt think it value for money as nothing is happening with the official version. I do still use osc and am planning an upgrade of my current BS store to the latest version, but now may leave it until its changed BS versions. We will have to wait and see.

Garys code is always good, and I have never had any serious problems with any I have used or had Gary code specially.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

As I see it the boot strapped version is what's keeping OSC above water.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Thank You @Tsimi, I have updated the post to add in d28.

Now that the full 28d is known, I hope that shopowners who have held back can now see the value in what's being offered and see the value in what happens next to the Community Version.

I'm addicted to Burts code. Whenever he puts something out in the dark winter days, I need to have it :D and I'm not even running the BS version. But since it is coded up nicely, I can also adapt it easily to my needs.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Simple approach in coding solutions for shopowners seems to be a second nature of Gary @burt  .... Simplicity is probably the most difficult to learn skill for developers...

The past weeks I worked on a Magento 2 project ... and the complexity is mindblowing. It made me realise again that Osc still is the MOTHER of open source E-commerce! What a shame that "we" could not stay the most attractive Shopping cart. So much potential!

So - please support Gary and spend a few Euros/ Dollars / Pounds!

On 2/23/2018 at 11:41 AM, ArtcoInc said:

(otherwise, he'll have to take a day job <gasp!>, while we all wait for Edge to be finished)

I imagine $$$ would be steadier with a day job. @azpro, I also imagine there's a happy middle between OSC frontend and Magneto 2's layout/template/block approach. I do like their factory/dependency injection approach. It's gonna be interesting to watch how many of their shops will move to the version 2, or ended up saying the hell with the version 2 upgrade cost and go else where should it ever became terminal and unsupported.

• 3 weeks later...

@clustersolutions  I am also very curious to see the adoption of M2.

The layout / template / block approach is as a concept great. The problem IMHO is the way to maintain extensions (including themes). Sometimes by marketplace install / sometimes by SSH command line install which maybe conflicting with dependencies. All together quite complex.

What I learned was that the layout / template / block approach is fairly easy to incorparate in osCommerce.

@azpro, ya, as "flexible" as M2 is, I say what we learned from it is conflict free extensions will be impossible here as well. I think install via marketplace vs. composer are fine. If I were to do OSC's frontend template system I would not make it that "rigid". Well, it just need a frontend  and a backend frameworks, then may be it would be easier to get involved. I lost couple clients within the last twelve months, and they were taken to M1 and not M2. One was relaunched last month, and I found that to be interesting. On the other hand, I had just launched a latest M2 store two weeks ago. That thing was features rich and ready to go, so I just spent my time digging with customizing things that were necessary. That site had left Shopify because it did not offer the capabilities that it needed.

• 2 months later...

Archived