• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Any built in way to know if order is from a mobile phone?

Ken_Shea

Offhand, I'm not aware of osC collecting that information. If you want to play with some of the PHP and Bootstrap Javascript code, you might be able to determine the User Agent, screen dimensions, and such, and make an educated guess based on that.

Just out of curiosity, are you looking to determine if the customer is currently on a phone, or gathering statistics on where orders came from? Are you looking to modify the presentation if they're mobile? If so, what can you do that normal Bootstrap can't do, such as suggesting different products? What about tablets -- they're mobile, but not a phone (and then, there's the issue of phablets).

Whilst it may not be what you are looking for but Google Analytics have lots of information including things like browser and operating system. Hopefully you have agged the code to your site already. If not you should.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

13 hours ago, MrPhil said:

You might as well go "mobile first" with everything, such as using Bootstrap. Search engines are starting to penalize sites which are desktop-first (or -only), so think mobile anyway.

Phil,

I have and It is, see my post signature :)

I am unfamiliar with the term "Mobile First" how does that apply to a site?

2 hours ago, 14steve14 said:

Whilst it may not be what you are looking for but Google Analytics have lots of information including things like browser and operating system. Hopefully you have agged the code to your site already. If not you should.

Steve, does Google Analytics track customers along with other information it gathers?

1 hour ago, Ken_Shea said:

I am unfamiliar with the term "Mobile First" how does that apply to a site?

Google mobile first and read up on it. The gist of it is that you don't design for desktop first, and later tack on a phone/tablet friendly version as an afterthought. You start your design assuming mobile, and then expand to desktop. I read some statistics that in the US, nearly a third of web users are mobile-only, and more than half use mobile at least part of the time. So, it's good to think phones, etc. from the beginning, rather than starting with a desktop.

The way I read it is that you lay out your mobile (phone) screens first, and don't slough it off to be done later. Your first screens will have an influence on what you do later, which in this case will be the desktop layouts. It's probably better to make some minor compromises on the desktop than to have a nice desktop and crummy afterthought mobile design.

I hope you are not still using "Gold". It is still frozen in early 2.3.4 time, like a wooly mammoth in Siberian permafrost. Everyone should be on Edge (ha, got it? "on edge").

Besides google analytics that Steve mentioned, some hosts offer stats programs in their control panels. The AWStats one in cpanel breaks down the browsers being used. You could add a snippet of code that was used in the old mobile addon that detects the browser. Adding that would be simple but providing a way to store and use it would be more involved.  I'll add the code to report the device in my next version of View Counter. It already tracks the connections so it wouldn't be a big change to have it record the device type. 

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Just now, 14steve14 said:

Hasnt Gary @burt just released  something like this in his 28 days of code.

He has. 

This module was built well prior to this thread (actually built for 29d 2 years ago, but unreleased), but this thread served as the catalyst to get it completed.

Archived