• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Email Compliance = Junk Folders

Robbogeordie

Installed SMTP, sweet as thanks Tgely .

The aim was to get my emails to comply with all the deliverability recommendations to make sure all of our customers got our emails. Try to future proof things a bit. Our emails are just used for order updates, very light use and the same ones for 15 years.

Fixed all the headers to comply with the email recommendations. I've tested them with many online tools and they pass them all.
Now the emails Pass DKIM, SPF, DMARC, Reverse DNS

Since all these changes have been done my customers with Hotmail, Outlook, MSN are getting our emails put straight into the junk folder which didn't happen before.

Even Microsoft analyzer has the emails passing all the tests above and a Spam Rating of 1 (lowest)
10/10 at www.mail-tester.com

Clean as a whistle static IP to send from with Reverse DNS set up. Perhaps sending for the IP is the problem as although it's clean it's new to Microsoft and they do mention that this can happen until trust is built up, but they don't give a timeframe and offer no help on this as I've contacted them. I also tried using a business hosted email and the emails are still junked by microsoft.

Anyone else had this happen to them and if so, how did you fix? It's just the microsoft hotmail, outlook etc emails that are the problem. 

I've also made these email changes on 2 separate websites and they have identical issues now. No real problems before 'fixing' things. I don't want to revert the sites back if it's just going to be like this for a week or two, but who knows how long.  Anyone else had this happen and any ideas to try to fix?

It could well be that making a bunch of changes has reset the "trust" level to 0, and all you can do is wait it out. In the meantime, you may have to remind users during signup and order processing to "whitelist" your domain, or to at least check their junk/bulk/spam mail folder.

Also keep this thread in mind:

Thanks for the link - I'm not alone. It does look like the trust rating following the changes unless there's something that I've missed.  Seems a strange way to do things when people are trying to improve emails per the guidelines. Something I read where Microsoft implied that if this happened and then you sent a lot of emails you could get the email address cleared more quickly if a lot of people whitelist the address.

Strange when I look at the headers they are clearly marked by Microsoft as not spam.

dkimrekord01.png

I am searching another solutions. I am not sure this is the only one.

https://tarhely.eu/kulso/ugyfeladmin/dkimrekord01.png

dkimrekord01.png

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

Agreed it would make sense that DKIM should help as they are part of the email-validation system , but for me :

• DKIM record was added at the beginning of the changes and the emails were junked afterwards. Doesn't make sense that this happens as it verifies the origin of the email is from the domain name associated with it and not spoofed.
  • SPF added and this approves the mail servers are permitted to send on behalf of the domain and in my case it is the my actual domain IP.
  • The headers 'to' an 'from' match the domain in the above two records.
  • The reverse DNS points to the domain of the sender in the header and in the SPF and DKIM records in my case.

Can't be more transparent ........  perhaps Microsoft are wanting to up their sales of Office 365 to 'help' with potential customers email deliverability issues.

This may be the issue:

IPs not previously used to send email typically don't have any reputation built up in our systems. As a result, emails from new IPs are more likely to experience deliverability issues. Once the IP has built a reputation for not sending spam, Outlook.com will typically allow for a better email delivery experience.
New IPs that are added for domains that are authenticated under existing SPF records typically experience the added benefit of inheriting some of the domain's sending reputation. If the domain has a good sending reputation new IPs may experience a faster ramp up time. A new IP can expect to be fully ramped within a couple of weeks or sooner depending on volume, list accuracy and as long as their junk email complaint rates are kept at a minimum.

Latest update:

I reverted one of the sites back to bog standard oscommerce and tested :

• All admin emails received into inbox. Emails sent from Thunderbird email client still junked.

Next I installed Gary's Dupe Headers Fix

• Now all emails junked. Makes no sense as the fix improved the headers.

This is only happening with hotmail. They are doing the opposite of what is expected - for now at least.

@Robbogeordie

I have tested my outlook inbox and no troubles but there are no way to see email headers in outlook.com so I reply to this email and I can see email header in thunderbird.
You can receive order emails directly into thunderbird with pop3 or imap protocol. (I didnt)

What do you see in junked email header?

I see this is no spam for me

X-MS-Has-Attach: yes
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
x-incomingtopheadermarker: OriginalChecksum:2BF954F7F7BC7201495F74ABE3C788684747FB4907CB283F6568D73F6055E7F6;UpperCasedChecksum:E83479C22438CCE30610154D42C222F1370F4471C54AF81D7B41F96CCF5FD496;SizeAsReceived:7031;Count:46
x-ms-exchange-messagesentrepresentingtype: 1
x-tmn: [rxUBREUSGI/f57cUW1bLGPfjQ+dYWA88]
x-ms-publictraffictype: Email
x-microsoft-exchange-diagnostics: 1;HE1EUR01HT099;6:7XfHZRWPVrAsK4waiCsfIj6ZFKyb5iwUVdBju+hnXF6XzDa/WcD+6096NUD32tWXETPWjHO4JJrGccyRGLjGgoIWzxiVnNsVB6eWgTwxNFmxMCQPOwthEuGVAgEh0Twk6UUh4fZWuGfPZTMa//4XvMLIvQjNWoEZOOKZMbZlXFTxDqfuT39/UF9W7pA/l3rCQkgDcbaI2DeMh9chFMA/UnX+bLFRPpeghBfP0GVXW24PdcFsdc5uRIhrsgSe+FtLr0+HFFH8JwOaJLY18DYic9Zp3F65pCuPcMqqpR+8judO1aKsM1hNIbLR/DlRalFRS4suqjFDyVIbPr3MjShUgJJHDJKFBh5sJC9Ifb/ytjU=;5:AVEgDFJ8sSO7W9zZtnI/vT60yTiallgLywDEu4n1ySfrU2UfBLuI0kgBdRP3rR53kN4Jlq3CM3bZus54ohJdmZIKixv9S/1ZFBgKXLYz81C3NSk5ljuV3XVJotgc8k0S2YuNQ8bgq7RzXiEljO/JxDrfwxp/CiQIg6WYs3RB9lU=;24:gUquGFIc8Kyrtp8w5qrmeJGfXO7lFEPGiT6YNKKkJW3k0VKCp1JxODuHj3vTCSclqM1VJOw9GoN0QhVZHEmV1xNPvkIuGf6921Bm1rrJfTo=;7:a/BVv08v7ZjeYeu0SWBWX5JCtVr7vQJqc6aBlvyR8zgk8f4ns5dAlictldhW7m5Y6N8mNtQUhIcR9ilNJHarQ3xI+apw6CS6t20MH7CSdtX7rJDseJN4vLzmAmrO2KlSsOXznJeDmzWQtKc1X4NA4tjnhCuqet+OWaJSk+Dxn9TWGBNLwtORiSZNvCwo++ivCE2VxK+IZ0r7NUdSP4BHGOC4k/CRGQXhTVMx4Xu/d+gh5qytJCdK6/JXeUjSESA1
x-incomingheadercount: 46
x-eopattributedmessage: 0
x-microsoft-antispam: UriScan:;BCL:0;PCL:0;RULEID:(7020095)(201702061074)(5061506573)(5061507331)(1603103135)(2017031320274)(2017031324274)(2017031323274)(2017031322404)(1603101448)(1601125374)(1701031045);SRVR:HE1EUR01HT099;
x-ms-traffictypediagnostic: HE1EUR01HT099:
x-ms-office365-filtering-correlation-id: c2c1873b-a9af-45e6-ab2d-08d5749b97c6
x-exchange-antispam-report-cfa-test: BCL:0;PCL:0;RULEID:(444000031);SRVR:HE1EUR01HT099;BCL:0;PCL:0;RULEID:;SRVR:HE1EUR01HT099;
x-forefront-prvs: 058441C12A
x-forefront-antispam-report: SFV:NSPM;SFS:(7070007)(98901004);DIR:OUT;SFP:1901;SCL:1;SRVR:HE1EUR01HT099;H:DB6P192MB0232.EURP192.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM;FPR:;SPF:None;LANG:;
spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM

Maybe the x-forefront-antispam-report shows the trouble.

osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

This is part of the header. I can't see a problem, but maybe I've missed it. Passes each test and marked as not spam.

Authentication-Results: spf=pass (sender IP is myIPAddress)
 smtp.mailfrom=mydomain.com; hotmail.com; dkim=pass (signature was
 verified) header.d=mydomain.com;hotmail.com; dmarc=pass action=none
 header.from=mydomain.com;
Received-SPF: Pass (protection.outlook.com: domain of mydomain.com
 designates myIPAddress as permitted sender) receiver=protection.outlook.com;
 client-ip=myIPAddress; helo=mydomain.com;
Received: from mydomain.com (myIPAddress) by
Reply-To: [email protected]
To: Chris <receiveremail@hotmail.com>
Subject: Test
Organization: www.mydomain.com
Disposition-Notification-To: mydomain <info@mydomain.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 01:05:51 +0700
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - myhost.tchmachines.com
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - mydomain.com
X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: myhost.tchmachines.com: authenticated_id: [email protected]
X-Authenticated-Sender: myhost.tchmachines.com: [email protected]
X-IncomingHeaderCount: 24
Return-Path: [email protected]
X-EOPTenantAttributedMessage: 84df9e7f-e9f6-40af-b435-aaaaaaaaaaaa:0
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-MessageDirectionality: Incoming
X-Microsoft-Exchange-Diagnostics: 1;CY1NAM02FT007;1:Utu5WIeZZNLmOcWgiOvTNfVk9CFOUc8dMIglcCqSPQ2+OkfE7XyxKUlbVLKYUVBXGii6SynuNECuySYK/P6mSsExLBaXEzprJaZKclgvc0rz42pUKPtlKl7HmS5LAOa9
X-Forefront-Antispam-Report: EFV:NLI;SFV:NSPM;SFS:(98901004);DIR:INB;SFP:;SCL:1;SRVR:CY1NAM02HT215;H:mydomain.com;FPR:;SPF:None;LANG:;
X-MS-Exchange-EOPDirect: true
X-Sender-IP: myIPAddress
X-Exchange-Antispam-Report-CFA-Test: BCL:0;PCL:0;RULEID:(444111557)(2400082)(82015058);SRVR:CY1NAM02HT215;BCL:0;PCL:0;RULEID:;SRVR:CY1NAM02HT215;
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL: 1
SpamDiagnosticOutput: 1:99
SpamDiagnosticMetadata: NSPM

X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - myhost.tchmachines.com
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - mydomain.com

Are these the problem?

The X-Antiabuse seem ok - For privacy before posting I took my actual domain name out of the header and changed it to 'mydomain' , so the address is correct.

I'll keep digging, hopefully it'll help others if they find themselves in a similar situation. Thanks for all the suggestions, sometimes it needs new sets of eyes to see and suggest things, so all feedback is welcome. Like I said earlier, the changes that were done were all to conform to the email guidelines and have all done exactly this, but it's these changes that have triggered this unknown quarantine by Microsoft, at least that's how it appears.

I can't see anything wrong with the header and it's been 2 weeks since the changes. I think that it must be the new 'sender' IP's. The actual domains static IP's that are currently used to send the emails have never been used for sending mail so they're not on any blacklist, but email before was done from the shared hosts servers and they have a track record and presumably must be approved with hotmail.

Hotmail seems to have a different system to gmail, yahoo and judge new IP's as guilty until proven innocent and put emails in a quarantine that overrides all their quality guidelines which my emails have passed. The emails are all rated as not spam. They seem to treat every mailer as if they are sending bulk emails, but ours are just used to contact customers about orders, password resets etc. This is why I'm guessing it's actually going to be more difficult to get out of this as Microsoft seem to need 1000's of clean accepted emails to be sent before their filters mark the sender as genuine and approve them.

Seems that we are supposed to just keep sending until hotmail approves the Ip's if they ever do. Not a very professional solution.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so how long did it take to fix?

Did you change anything?

Did anyone manage to get Microsoft to help as I've just got automated replies fobbing me off?

@tgely @MrPhil @burt

Update: It looks like sending emails from my domain IP address was the problem for me. The domains were NOT blacklisted and there was no problem with the emails, but because my domain IP's did not have any 'history' for sending emails Microsoft's SmartScreen Filter starts with automatically sending the email to junk until it is assessed.
Over a week or two it is supposed to monitor if customers whitelist the emails/ not mark as spam and will then whitelist the domain email. However, the problem is that if you don't daily send a large amount of email you will never get the sender IP address cleared because apparently more than 100 emails a day are required for SmartScreen Filter to do an evaluation.

What I did to test if the sending IP was the problem was sign up one of my domains with an email host which would send through their block IP that has already been assessed and approved by SmartScreen Filter. I was still getting put in the junk folder for about a week, but today it's been cleared and finds the inbox!
For the other domain that is still sending from it's domain IP address it is still getting messages put in the junk folder, so looks like the way to fix if you are having this problem is to send through a good email host not your own IP.

Obviously this won't be the case for everybody, but hopefully will help people in a similar position to fix this problem with Hotmail/Outlook, it seems to have worked for me and I'll know for sure when I switch my other email over to using an email host and see if it also clears.

Archived