• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO URLs in OS 2.3.3.4?

mikemanning

Mike, before you go through the effort to add SEO to your store, consider going to 2.3.4BS Edge, which has SEO built in and is up to date and is responsive (mobile friendly). It might be better to put in a little extra effort right now to get all caught up, which is something you'll eventually have to do anyway, as your host upgrades PHP versions.

You do not need SEO Urls. 

While using a URL that includes keywords can improve your site's search visibility, URLs 
themselves generally do not have a major impact on a page's ability to rank.

I would argue that even this is out of date.  When is the last time you saw a URL (of a properly set up ecommerce site) in (eg) Google?

Here is an example with no setting up, just an out of the box install of our osCommerce.  Wheres the URLs ??

no_urls.jpg.0eb5ebf7c72a6379351bbc303233d424.jpg

You could argue, and I would wholeheartedly agree that "Friendly Urls" matter.

Take for example a radio advert or a printed leaflet, which one of these is more easy to remember;

some-super-site.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=123
or
some-super-site.com/widgets/123

But this is *not* SEO Urls!

This -> product_info.php?products_id=9

or this -> sombrero-galaxie-p-9.html

I talk about with my friend (works by Google), he informed me, that a link with the name in it is better, than without, because if u search, than the name in the link
helps to find the product or what else better. The search result don't show, that's right.

Sorry @burt in my opinion the " SEO Urls" helps in many reason.

• The clever one learn from everything and from everybody
  • The normal one learn from his experience
  • The silly one knows everything better

[socrates, 412 before Christ]

Computers help us with the problems we wouldn't have without them!
99.9% of the bugs sit in front of the computer!
My programmed add-ons: WDW EasyTabs 1.0.3, WDW Facebook Like 1.0.0

if(isset($this) || !isset($this)){ // that's the question...

Are you talking about different things? Tiny breadcrumbs vs url SEO. This is nice discuss. :biggrin:
Lets go to the same platform.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

Hi All.

I would also like to know about the inbuilt Edge SEO, is it enabled by default, or do you have to enable it? My shop is not live so I don’t know how it is not possible to check. Is there a tutorial for this? Maybe someone out there in the know could organise one?

Personally I think the breadcrumb URL with the product name rather than a string of seemingly unrelated jumble of text and numbers is far better, and looks more professional. Would this not be a simple thing for you boffins to integrate into Edge?

Obviously for new users this would make things much simpler.

Regards Shaun

• 5 months later...

For anyone new looking to upgrade or move to osCommers Frozen/CE please note that you do not need any additional addon or other software to be SEO compliant.

Stock Frozen/CE if installed and setup properly will achieve 100% SEO compliance as tested by Google. Below is the Google audit for stock frozen.

Your time is much better spent getting good content on to your website and improving the quality of existing content.

image.thumb.png.6b4a763de50a9044e96cdb1583178b9e.png

Please don't post in an addons support thread if the post doesn't apply to the thread. It wastes the time of anyone interested in the addon.

But to your point, there are two reasons for installing this addon: user-friendliness and SEO. For the former, I would much rather have a url of mine that gets bookmarked to read ...the-best-page-ever-p-23.html, instead of the stock ...product_info.php?cPath=1123_34&products_id=23

For SEO, while it is true the benefits of this addon (any url rewriter) are not as much as they originally were, you are mistaken to think it does not help with SEO. Not so much with google, though they still consider it, but there are other search engines to consider.

If you want to discuss such things, please be considerate of those that don't want to be bothered with your opinions in a support thread and start a new thread in the general forums section where such posts belong.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

7 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

For anyone new looking to upgrade or move to osCommers Frozen/CE please note that you do not need any additional addon or other software to be SEO compliant.

Unless you use more than one language. By default, oscommerce points to the same URL for all the language versions, and that's really bad for multilingual shops.

9 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

Sorry Jack but I did not see support thread anywhere in the heading or have I missed something? SEO URLs in OS 2.3.3.4?

No, I'm the one that needs to apologize. I read the title and my little brain read it as the support thread. I will try to be more careful in the future.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

13 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

Stock Frozen/CE if installed and setup properly will achieve 100% SEO compliance as tested by Google. Below is the Google audit for stock frozen.

Your time is much better spent getting good content on to your website and improving the quality of existing content.

SEO URLs is still a very useful, if not needed addon, and osCommerce Frozen/CE is not perfect out of the box, it has some SEO killers in there.

5 hours ago, Jack_mcs said:

No, I'm the one that needs to apologize. I read the title and my little brain read it as the support thread. I will try to be more careful in the future.

Not a problem we all have that problem from time to time.:smile::thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Hotclutch said:

SEO URLs is still a very useful, if not needed addon, and osCommerce Frozen/CE is not perfect out of the box, it has some SEO killers in there.

So post the killers and we will see what can be done! I got 100% SEO on Google with CE without doing anything extra. I think many people are confusing SEO with other issues. Many of the old requirements for SEO are no longer an issue with browsers these days.

9 hours ago, piernas said:

Unless you use more than one language. By default, oscommerce points to the same URL for all the language versions, and that's really bad for multilingual shops.

I  understand that multilingual sites are always going to need extra attention. That is a whole new question! share a URL with lots of languages or have a dedicated site for each.

I know many shopowners (like me) have installed the UTLIMATE SEO  URL's addon  for many years , wich make urls like : theres-something-about-mary-p-19.html

For if i would like to get rid of this contribution, because i want to have the core  clean and untouched.

But how to do this without loosing to much page rank on google:  all old URL's need to be redirected to the new ones , products, categories, manufacturers ( .htaccess?) For this reason i installed it again on my new Frozen installation, running productive and without problems now since a month on PHP 7.2

And if turning back to the old osc urls, what osCommerce  url format is going the be choosen ? .

the osc stock  url:

product_info.php?products_id=19

OR search engine safe URL's:

product_info.php/products_id/19

This is important as it has to be a long term ( and right) decision.  What would be the best option, are there better options? or maybe better not change it

Use stock URL: product_info.php?products_id=19

and leave the UTLIMATE SEO  URL's  rewrite rules in your .htaccess.

Like this all the old ULTIMATE SEO  URL's which are bookmarked and indexed should be correct redirected to the stock URLs

34 minutes ago, raiwa said:

Like this all the old ULTIMATE SEO  URL's which are bookmarked and indexed should be correct redirected to the stock URLs

Unfortunatly this is not working, when i switch SEO urls off, and leaving my .htaccess  rewrite rules as is , all old urls are redirected to index.php

1 hour ago, Rwe said:

theres-something-about-mary-p-19.html

Just curious but why would you prefer product_info.php?products_id=19 over the above? To me, the above is far-more user-firendly.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

4 minutes ago, Jack_mcs said:

Just curious but why would you prefer product_info.php?products_id=19 over the above?

Just to keep the Oscommerce core free of modifications. Also i believe the url format is not as important anymore as a few years ago.  I rarely see the url displayed in the search sesults, its  more about breadcrumbs now.

Thanks for the explanation. I think user-friendliness should far outweigh keeping the code unchanged but that is a decision each shop owner needs to make.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

3 hours ago, Rwe said:

Unfortunatly this is not working, when i switch SEO urls off, and leaving my .htaccess  rewrite rules as is , all old urls are redirected to index.php

You need to modify the rewrite rules a bit.

Add the products and catagories id query string so for products it should look something like this:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-([0-9]+).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2 [NC,L,QSA]

10 minutes ago, raiwa said:

You need to modify the rewrite rules a bit.

Thank you!

Yes that is working, and with a permanent 301 redirect to the new url [NC,L,301]

Archived