• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can you increasing Characters in the Product Name (title) ?

I was wondering if there was any way to lengthen the product name of the products on the website ?

I need to have the brand, color, style, series, size & pieces in the title but some of the color names are so long that it cuts off some of the product name on the website.

Example of a product name;

Peridot Swarovski® Crystal Round Bead 4mm 12pcs [5000] -  This shows perfect on the website 

but

Crystal Metallic Sunshine Swarovski® Crystal Round Bead 4mm 12pcs [5000]     - you will only see - 

Crystal Metallic Sunshine Swarovski® Crystal Round Bead 4mm 12pcs   -      The series " [5000] "  does not appear because of the length of the color name so when you do a search for say 5000 4mm this particular color does not show because the 5000 is cut off.

Another example of the name being too long;

Burgundy Blue Zircon Blend Swarovski® Xilion Bicone Bead 4mm 25pcs [5328]    Results:    Burgundy Blue Zircon Blend Swarovski® Xilion Bicone Bead 4mm 25p

Again I am losing the series number and the "cs" to the word pcs. This again effecting customer searches for the product.

Is there somewhere that you can change the settings to how many characters you can use for the product name ?

I hope this makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Products Name defaults to 64 characters which is a hard limit in the database.

Use phpmyadmin to increase this.

ALTER TABLE products_description CHANGE products_name products_name VARCHAR(250) NOT NULL DEFAULT '';
ALTER TABLE orders_products CHANGE products_name products_name VARCHAR(250) NOT NULL;

which would increase your name capacity to 250 characters.

You could also enable the keywords search facility, explore your admin area and you will find it.

2 hours ago, burt said:

Products Name defaults to 64 characters which is a hard limit in the database.

Use phpmyadmin to increase this.

ALTER TABLE products_description CHANGE products_name products_name VARCHAR(250) NOT NULL DEFAULT '';
ALTER TABLE orders_products CHANGE products_name products_name VARCHAR(250) NOT NULL;

which would increase your name capacity to 250 characters.

You could also enable the keywords search facility, explore your admin area and you will find it.

Thank you for the information.

I went into the ALTER TABLE for products_description then went to the structure tab found the products_name and changed the VARCHAR to 250 and changed the NULL to the word None from the drop down list so now it looks like this;

products_name varchar(250) utf8_unicode_ci   No None

I then did the same thing to the orders_products section as well.

Did I do this right ? It doesn't seem to have increased my characters on the site so I could have missed something...

I am also going to try to find the keywords search facility you mentioned to see if that helps too.

Thanks again for responding and your help.

Hi,

Burt posted SQL commands, which you could have put simply inside of the SQL tab  in phpmyadmin, I think you could still do it that way. 

Have you tried to reenter your your lengthy product names in the admin?  If that doesn't work something went wrong.

Best regards

Christoph

35 minutes ago, beerbee said:

Hi,

Burt posted SQL commands, which you could have put simply inside of the SQL tab  in phpmyadmin, I think you could still do it that way. 

Have you tried to reenter your your lengthy product names in the admin?  If that doesn't work something went wrong.

Best regards

Christoph

Christoph thank you so much for clarifying this. I went back and put the commands in my SQL tab and it worked. Not to computer savvy but I'm trying :D Thanks again.

55 minutes ago, sunshynecraftsbeads said:

Thank you for the information.

I went into the ALTER TABLE for products_description then went to the structure tab found the products_name and changed the VARCHAR to 250 and changed the NULL to the word None from the drop down list so now it looks like this;

products_name varchar(250) utf8_unicode_ci   No None

I then did the same thing to the orders_products section as well.

Did I do this right ? It doesn't seem to have increased my characters on the site so I could have missed something...

I am also going to try to find the keywords search facility you mentioned to see if that helps too.

Thanks again for responding and your help.

I just wanted to personally thank you for your assistance. I didn't know realize how easy you made this for me. Once Christoph told me what you did for me, I did it took two seconds and my problem was solved. You are greatly appreciated. Cheers !!

Archived